Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2006, 15:25   #1
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

Default Starting Problems & Dimmed Display....

....Both problems are present in a mates Vauxhall Zafira. It started today, he went to start it and it made a little noise then clicked then just stopped. So he ended up rolling it down the road to get it started. His car has had a little problem starting recently however he just thought that it was to do with the cold weather. His starter motor was replaced only 1000 miles ago. Any ideas?

Also when he turns his headlights on the display (with the radio display, time etc...) goes all dark. Does anybody have any ideas? Sorry for posting this in 'The 75 And ZT Club' Forum however there is a link......my car also has the second problem. If anybody has any ideas both me and my mate would be really glad. Thanks in advance

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 15:55   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Sounds like a flat battery but if the engine cranks it won't be that so second choice, the dashboard dimmer control must be turned right down as that will effect radio as well as instruments
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 16:42   #3
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Vauxhall, flat battery, the clicking is the starter motor solenoid clicking, but not enough beans in the battery to do anything, the lights on the dash dimming to an almost off is either the dimmer function, or there is just not enough voltage in the battery to power everything, get the battery charged and tested.

On your 75, the dashboard illumination will go dim when you turn the lights on.
Old 29th November 2006, 16:49   #4
lildevil
Avid contributor

Hi

Thanks for both of your replies. Phil I agree about the battery that is what I first thought, however my radio etc... never used to go dim. They are so dim they are almost impossible to read. But both of you have said the Dashboard dimming switch so will have a look in the morning. The battery tested and charged applies to the Vauxhall not mine yes? Well I hope so anyway

Regards
Tom
Old 29th November 2006, 17:10   #5
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

The Vauxhall, yes.
Old 29th November 2006, 18:04   #6
lildevil
Avid contributor

Hi

Good....panic over.

Thinking about it my car did this once on a very cold winters morning...not starting. Got a couple of neighbours to give me a push down the road and it started fine. Hasn't done it since....which Im glad about

Regards
Tom
Old 30th November 2006, 05:20   #7
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Exclamation Push Starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildevil View Post
Hi

Good....panic over.

Thinking about it my car did this once on a very cold winters morning...not starting. Got a couple of neighbours to give me a push down the road and it started fine. Hasn't done it since....which Im glad about

Regards
Tom
I think you will find it is not reccommended to push start a car fitted with a catalytic convertor. They say that a quantity of fuel collects in the cat and on firing up the cat is destroyed. Much cheaper to exhaust all options with the battery ( testing, charging, replacing etc.)
Battery problems are likely to appear thick and fast on the site with the colder weather. Batteries that were ok in the warmer weather but getting near the end of their life will suddenly fail with the cold. If your battery is +- 4 years or so and you cannot think of any other reason for the drain you will probably save yourself a lot of hassle by considering fitting a new battery. Pity it happens so near Xmas when funds are stretched.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote