Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st June 2013, 17:32   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default KV6 oil level checking - same method, different levels..........

OK, I'm finding problems now with checking my oil level. Not really noticed problems in the past, just ensured it was between Max and Min, but after doing an oil change and filling it right up, I am having strange difficulties.

After doing the oil change, I ensured enough oil went in so that the level was between Max and Min. I may have miscalculated this, I think I put in 5.33 litres when it should take a mximum of 5.2. At the time, I thought the level would be between Max and Min and would need a top-up to full (was waiting for a 1 litre bottle of matching oil to be ordered in following ECP's weekend discount).

I checked the level 2 days later, after having driven home from work, using the revised checking method that is detailed elsewhere on here (engine at full working temp, remove dipstick, wait 5 mins, push in slowly, wait 5 secs, remove), and it was roughly 2-3mm above the Max 'notch' on the dipstick, so I drained a little bit out, checked the level and it was exactly below the notch. Perfect. The car may cooled a bit in between the two checks, due to the time taken to remove undertray, find tools and container, undo the sump plug etc - I can't remember if I had run it back up to full temperature or not.

This morning, I checked the level after having been out first thing, coolant temp was 94ish after parking up. It was overfull, more so than on Wednesday - maybe 3-4mm above the notch. Odd!

So I waited 8 and a half hours for the car to cool (it wasn't moved during this time), idled the car up to working temperature (89 degrees) and then checked the level - less than 1mm below the notch (the notch itself is 1-2mm wide).

Er, so is my car overfull or not?? And why does it vary so much??

How can checking the oil be so difficult?

Last edited by Bolin; 1st June 2013 at 17:35..
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2013, 20:39   #2
RN3212
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0V6 Auto Moonstone Green

When I'm checking mine I take out the Dipstick immediately after stopping the engine and wait about 15 mns and it's always dead on the mark.I think the variation is caused by oil caught in the Dipstick tube and it takes a fair while for it to drain out.
Old 1st June 2013, 21:41   #3
Bolin
This is my second home

Interesting - the advice is 5 mins, which I always follow, but it produces different results, seemingly dependant on if the car has been driven or just idling - perhaps it doesn't get quite warm enough (despite the coolant temp) when just idling and so not all the oil drains down?
Old 2nd June 2013, 18:24   #4
Bolin
This is my second home

I let a bit more out this morning, and checked this afternoon after an hours drive, it was just about below the 'notch', so perfect.

My thery is that if the engine is idled from cold to temperature and then the level checked, the oil has been pumped up into various places but the engine isn't hot enough overall (despite the coolant temp sensor reading the usual working temperature) because the car hasn't been driven and reved more than idle speed - as a result the oil doesn't all drian down within the 5 minutes.

Not an issue after going for a drive.

So probably don't idle the car to get it warm enough to check the oil, it needs to be driven to get an accurate reading.
Old 2nd June 2013, 18:26   #5
eurorover
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

The problem with the kv6 is the dip stick does not go into the sump only to the end of the tube.
eurorover is offline   Reply With Quote