Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th September 2014, 00:56   #1
farad

ROVER 75

Default Rover 75 2.5 Overheating , fan* ??! need advice/tips

OVERHEATING Issue, fan Problem..(*perhaps!).

I got this happy car! and I am so happy with it so far, I have it just for about 10 months without any problem. it ran just 73,000 (1999- Petrol).

Yesterday suddenly it showed me _Overheating engine_ In Traffic.

In first a few minutes I noticed the radiator is Not Hot!, BUT after few minutes ( driving 2 miles) again it alarmed Overheating..,
Stopped the car BUT FAN was not working, switched off and on ( and put some water on radiator to make it cool) fan did work.

But since then for hours I tried and Fan is not working now - I have to mention that although engine becomes hot, but no alarm showed any more and it shows normal temperature from inside.. ( I am afraid if i damage the engine).

I tried to turn the fan by heating the cabin, but fan is not starting to work..

Also to mention; last year, previous owner has changed all cooling system(radiator etc..) 2000 mile ago!
he told me that because they couldn't find the problem, they replaced every thing ( I saw the receipt of £800 last year for to replace /part/labour for overheating issues).

I am new with Rover and no knowledge what so ever, i just like it!, now it makes me sad that i can not find the problem, as i showed my car to 3 expert but they said we don't know and we have to see and it's a hard job to diagnose, and .. (realize they needs me to pay lots for something they don't know about!)

HOPING YOU CAN HELP - I really appreciate your time..
I still not sure if it is the fan -not working- causes overheating?
Or something else like a fuse ? can you advice me on what can i do? e.g; where can i find the fan's fuse?
and, I don't have Air Conditioner, is there any other test for fan ?
also, shall i change coolant liquid/water? how? Any tips/ ADVICE would be greatly Appreciated..
farad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 11:54   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Farad, I've moved your thread into the Technical forum for wider coverage.
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 12:16   #3
john2443
Avid contributor

ZT CDTI / 1951 Healey Tickford Drop Head

First things to check are

- Is there enough water in the cooling system? Check the header tank.

- Does the radiator fan work? http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=35567

There are various other things, but let's start here.
john2443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 21:32   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Farad and to the club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farad View Post
I don't have Air Conditioner ...
Yipes, you have a rare variant there! Unfortunately that makes testing a bit tricky, and John's link (above) won't be any use to you.

What you'll have to do is activate the built-in diagnostics to obtain a display of actual coolant temperature in your instrument pack. The instructions for how to do this are here. You need test 7.0

So, drive your car at speed with this test 7.0 displayed. Make sure that the gauge reaches the 'normal' position. Now bring the car to rest with the engine still running. We need the temperature to rise above 100°C. When it does, get out of the car and walk to the radiator grille. Is the radiator fan running? Please report back with the result and we'll be able to advise you further.

Simon
Old 19th September 2014, 19:49   #5
farad

ROVER 75

Default Overheating / Fan Not working / Very helpful advice & useful forums

Thank's for your advice on 'Rover 75, 2.5 petrol. overheating / Fan ..

I did exactly as you said - diagnostic test no; 7 - drove the care , waited till it reached 100 and 101 .. But Fan did Not work..

I really appreciate your help, now I know what is the issue with over heating..
( today a mechanic told me £75 just to find the issue- though I am not sure even if they were really able to..)

Can you please advice me further of what to do now to star this fan !?

* during the test, although it reached 101 degree, but the gauge did stay at normal (did not showed any alarm like it happened once / a few days ago; ''Overheating engine'')
Also to mention that I assume it might be a fuse or some electric fault, cause I use to have some issues earlier with lights and alarm system and it did solve by itself!. I don't know where is the fuse or ..
Ok I would wait for your expertise..

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Farad and to the club.

Yipes, you have a rare variant there! Unfortunately that makes testing a bit tricky, and John's link (above) won't be any use to you.

What you'll have to do is activate the built-in diagnostics to obtain a display of actual coolant temperature in your instrument pack. The instructions for how to do this are here. You need test 7.0

So, drive your car at speed with this test 7.0 displayed. Make sure that the gauge reaches the 'normal' position. Now bring the car to rest with the engine still running. We need the temperature to rise above 100°C. When it does, get out of the car and walk to the radiator grille. Is the radiator fan running? Please report back with the result and we'll be able to advise you further.

Simon
Old 19th September 2014, 22:33   #6
SD1too

Default 1999 kv6

Quote:
... today a mechanic told me £75 just to find the issue...
Well you've just got it for nothing! Your fan isn't working properly.
Quote:
... during the test, although it reached 101 degree, but the gauge did stay at normal ..
Yes, I'm afraid that the temperature gauge is next to useless. It will indicate normal at all temperatures between 75° and 115°C.
Quote:
... did not showed any alarm like it happened once / a few days ago; ''Overheating engine'' ..
On that day your engine temperature exceeded 115°C.
Quote:
Can you please advice me further of what to do now to star this fan !?
Of course. Your 1999 car would have had a 3 speed fan when it left the factory, but you've only owned it for 10 months and a previous owner might have changed that. So first we have to find out what kind of fan system you have now, and fortunately that's easy.
Peer in through the radiator grille and identify the fan blades. On the shrouding, at the two o'clock position, do you have a silver rectangular electrical component with a wire at each end? Or do you have just two small holes where it might be attached?

Please report back and we'll progress to the solution.

Simon
Old 21st September 2014, 11:15   #7
farad

ROVER 75

Default Fan ..

Thanks simon.

I did as you directed.. There is no '' rectangular electrical component and as you suggested there is two hole that could be fixed there..

Also, I tested the fan -the way been suggested by John, [Wires to short to test HIGH SPEED FAN
Yellow/Grey to Black or two wires opposite eachother furthest apart. + opposite way..] -
It didn't work, actually it's looks like there is no electricity in fan circuit
Also checked the fan, it moves free & smoothly..
so please let me know what else i can do - It would be great if I can fix it myself with your advice, as it would be an achievement!

Again waiting for your respond..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Well you've just got it for nothing! Your fan isn't working properly.

Yes, I'm afraid that the temperature gauge is next to useless. It will indicate normal at all temperatures between 75° and 115°C.

On that day your engine temperature exceeded 115°C.

Of course. Your 1999 car would have had a 3 speed fan when it left the factory, but you've only owned it for 10 months and a previous owner might have changed that. So first we have to find out what kind of fan system you have now, and fortunately that's easy.
Peer in through the radiator grille and identify the fan blades. On the shrouding, at the two o'clock position, do you have a silver rectangular electrical component with a wire at each end? Or do you have just two small holes where it might be attached?

Please report back and we'll progress to the solution.

Simon
Old 21st September 2014, 18:38   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Just to bump your thread to the top again.
You have two or three options.
Try rebrushing the fan motor.
Replace the fan system with the later 2-speed version with uprated resistor.
Replace the fan system with a non-OEM fan kit.
Each one is regularly discussed and there are HowTos available in the other section.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 20:23   #9
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Farad
Check your fuses the main one in engine bay compartment has a pictogram of a fan on the inside of lid.....
Might be that simple if not follow Simons advice he will help you methodically, better than too many people offering different opinions
Ps welcome to the club
Doc
Old 21st September 2014, 21:50   #10
SD1too

Quote:
... so please let me know what else i can do - It would be great if I can fix it myself with your advice, as it would be an achievement!
Again waiting for your respond..
You have a 3 speed system Farad, and the slow and possibly the medium speeds have failed. This is caused by one of the motor brushes wearing out. It's as simple as that.

T-Cut has beaten me to it with the next stage; you can either repair or replace.
Repairing requires some mechanical and electrical expertise. You have to open the motor casing and solder in one or two new inexpensive brushes.
If you want to fit a 2 speed replacement, a second-hand refurbished unit from club member Arctic is your best bet, and all you do is plug it in. A brand new one will break the bank.
An aftermarket model is available from club trader Jules which, I believe, comes with full installation instructions.

As T-Cut says, there's lots to read about all these options on the forum.

Simon