Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th September 2009, 20:36   #1
markhowell
Regular poster

Rover 75 CTDI Tourer Auto

Default ZCS codes-why you should have them!

The purpose of this post is to alert all owners to the need to acquire their car's ZCS codes and keep them safely.
WHAT ARE THEY? The ZCS codes tell the car's electronic control modules - there are quite a few in the 75 - what it is and what it has fitted. They comprise 3 groups of numbers/alpha characters. When each code is installed you need an additional digit (called a checksum digit) which you type at the end of each of the 3 zcs codes and enables the T4 to check that the car's ecus have taken the code correctly.
HOW TO FIND THEM? The 3 codes can be discovered using a T4 which any ex-dealer should have and some enthusiasts possess. It takes about 10 mins or less. However the checksum digit (you will need when using the code - that is installing it) needs to be obtained from someone with the checksum generator. X-Part have this I believe, as do some enthusiasts including myself.
WHEN DO YOU NEED THEM? If the ecus lose their zcs setting (or you add a new feature) then the codes (or new ones) have to be put into the car with a T4 (See my post "retro-fitting cruise control using Rover parts, new ZCS codes " for the procedure).
WHY DO YOU NEED TO FIND THEM WHILST YOUR CAR IS PERFECT? There are problems if you wait until the car needs them to be input. Firstly, in that condition you will probably not be able to see the codes in the ecus using the T4 - most likely because there will be corruption in one or more of the ecus. Secondly, MG-Rover (before they collapsed) would give the dealers guidance here on a case by case basis, however they cannot help us now. X-Part do not as yet have the capacity in my view to provide this service. They really pulled out all the stops to help me but could not provide the correct codes and eventually I had to get these from an enthusiast on the companion site.Thirdly, reconstructing the 3 codes is very difficult & involves a "hit & miss" procedure because several of the electronic features on the car may well not be visible or obvious (eg: presence of self levelling rear shocks). I now have the software to do all this and so speak from experience.
My advice to all owners is to get and keep safe your car's zcs codes and their respective checksum so that if you have a problem (or , which is less likely,wish to change a feature) you only need find a T4!

Last edited by markhowell; 30th September 2009 at 21:20..
markhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:38   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Good points...BUT, all it really shows is that in some respects our cars are less 'user friendly' than they should have been.. (
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 12:39   #3
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhowell View Post
I now have the software to do all this and so speak from experience.
My advice to all owners is to get and keep safe your car's zcs codes and their respective checksum so that if you have a problem (or , which is less likely,wish to change a feature) you only need find a T4!
Good advice and interesting news.

Lots of questions from me, that I'm sure others will want to ask too.

Are you prepared to help people with ZCS codes and checksums?

Even better, is the software something that is available to those that need to use it (ie those that have T4s or other testbooks)? I guess this depends on whether it's your application, or something copyright. Note: I'm not asking for or advocating any illegal distribution of software! I'm just trying to establish if it could be legitimately distributed.

I ask, as I'm close to getting a list of the various bits in the coding bytes myself, but have got nowehere so far with calculating the check digit.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 13:28   #4
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhowell View Post
The purpose of this post is to alert all owners to the need to acquire their car's ZCS codes and keep them safely.
WHAT ARE THEY? The ZCS codes tell the car's electronic control modules - there are quite a few in the 75 - what it is and what it has fitted. They comprise 3 groups of numbers/alpha characters. When each code is installed you need an additional digit (called a checksum digit) which you type at the end of each of the 3 zcs codes and enables the T4 to check that the car's ecus have taken the code correctly.
HOW TO FIND THEM? The 3 codes can be discovered using a T4 which any ex-dealer should have and some enthusiasts possess. It takes about 10 mins or less. However the checksum digit (you will need when using the code - that is installing it) needs to be obtained from someone with the checksum generator. X-Part have this I believe, as do some enthusiasts including myself.
WHEN DO YOU NEED THEM? If the ecus lose their zcs setting (or you add a new feature) then the codes (or new ones) have to be put into the car with a T4 (See my post "retro-fitting cruise control using Rover parts, new ZCS codes " for the procedure).
WHY DO YOU NEED TO FIND THEM WHILST YOUR CAR IS PERFECT? There are problems if you wait until the car needs them to be input. Firstly, in that condition you will probably not be able to see the codes in the ecus using the T4 - most likely because there will be corruption in one or more of the ecus. Secondly, MG-Rover (before they collapsed) would give the dealers guidance here on a case by case basis, however they cannot help us now. X-Part do not as yet have the capacity in my view to provide this service. They really pulled out all the stops to help me but could not provide the correct codes and eventually I had to get these from an enthusiast on the companion site.Thirdly, reconstructing the 3 codes is very difficult & involves a "hit & miss" procedure because several of the electronic features on the car may well not be visible or obvious (eg: presence of self levelling rear shocks). I now have the software to do all this and so speak from experience.
Hi,
With all due respect your car was a nightmare !
You must admit it is anything but "as built".

Never heard of MGR advising on ZCS codes .
This was Omitec who are the people that designed T4.
After the first lot that I created, that is who created the others for you. Omitec.

We still work together quite closely. If Dunx gets it wrong I can GUARANTEE something is out of the ordinary.

Still don't know what went wrong with yours.
Every other ZCS code generated ( about 4 a day ! ) work correctly.
( apart from ones that dealer has messed up by not ticking correct boxes for car configuration)

The checksum digit is easy. Lots of hexadecimal dos programs are out there for download.

The most difficult bit is the SA string.
Nowhere does the self levelling suspension come into ZCS coding unless you have Xenon headlights to which you ticked "no".

Anyway, glad you got sorted in the end.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:35   #5
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPart02 View Post
The checksum digit is easy. Lots of hexadecimal dos programs are out there for download.
Except that the result is not as far as I know, a hex digit. The only one I've ever seen was the letter v, which isn't hex. I thought it might be the ASCII representation of the hex value, but there'd be too many non printable characters that you couldn't input.

Could be that the one I saw was wrong, of course!
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 19:55   #6
markhowell
Regular poster

Hi,
I think you must have me confused with someone else. My car was bought new and was unaltered (insofar as ZCS codes are concerned) until I installed cruise. If you work for X-Part I have nothing but gratitude for the help they gave me. They were very friendly, co-operative and enthusiastic.
I am interested in your comment about self-levelling not being on the ZCS code calculation software. Some of the abbreviations on the software are not self-explanatory. One is SLS Mech. I think Blackbox identified this to me as self-levelling mechanism. One other source confirmed this. Can you perhaps correct me as the more I learn about this the better. Having said that, it produced the codes for my car which loaded perfectly and runs faultlessly giving clear T4 diagnostic reports.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:08   #7
markhowell
Regular poster

I will provide codes and checksums at no charge. If they work and the owner wants to send me something via Paypal that would be nice, but its up to them. However my purpose in buying the software was to be self-reliant when the ex-dealership expertise at this level disappeared.
However whatever you do and whoever you use, please do get your ZCS codes. The ex-dealers with T4 units can get the ZCS codes and they can get the Checksums from X-Part so everyone can get this information for the moment.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:40   #8
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

This is something that I'm very interested in, after all in years to come understanding how the zcs and checksum can be calculated when support disappears will be essential to the survival of our cars.

There is a fair bit of descrete information out there too about various techniques that can be employed to get around things that are coding related.
It's getting hold of them that's the difficult part.

I have been told by various sources now that there were things done at the factory with testbook and T4 that were not taught to technicians at dealers.

I'm doing some other investigating at the moment, will let you know what I find out.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:05   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

After probably buying the very first testbook on this site I spent as much time as possible providing all the info I could from it to owners for free via my various posts.
I bought a rovercom which helped us further to understand the ZCS codes because at the time the ZCS code calculators were not availalble and that was the best way I could find to do it.

I was offered the software Mark has bought for £250 but as my T4 still hasn't paid for itself yet there was a limit to how much I was williing to keep spending when only charging a nominal amount for the sessions I offer.
I do hope eventually somebody does the decent thing and makes the code calculator freely available to all.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:25   #10
markhowell
Regular poster

Hi Keith,
There is a problem over copyright and the like. I suspect the chap who originally produced the software I bought would be upset if I distributed it freely to the world.After all I only bought 1 copy. However, I give the codes freely, albeit that the risk is totally the recipient's. For the guaranteed codes, these can be got from X-Part for about £40. They tell me they issue 4 sets of codes per day without difficulty. I have my reservations about their software - although not at all their service which was brilliant. I am now back in contact with them and it may be that I can give them some more information which will produce the correct codes and both my concerns and their frustration at not getting them right will be shown disappear.
Many thanks again for all the help you have given to all of us. If everyone follows your example - and I am hot on your trail - they will enable us all to keep the cars on the road for many years!