Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2010, 20:27   #1
brownie21
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Default Headlight Bulb Change

Drivers side dipped headlight went tonight. After bobbing my head around the engine bay and much bad language for 20 mins or so I found a flap under the wheel arch giving me some 'knuckle scraping access' with my left hand and little vision. After losing the first bulb in the cavity never to be seen again, I finally got one in by touch and feel. Job well done - 45 mins to change a bulb and a scratched watch, cricked neck and bleeding knuckles. Well done Rover!!

Last edited by brownie21; 9th March 2010 at 20:29..
brownie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 20:37   #2
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

If the bulb retainer is hinged at one end then after a few it is a couple of minutes job.

RHD one - remove water reservoir neck, bayonet fitting

Unfortunately for you lot, we are now stuck behind a broken train. We'll be here for quite a while but I don't care, I'm now on overtime.
London tube train announcement
moonstoneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 00:06   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Mark 1 lamps using bulbs have a wire retaining clip. The important thing here is not to detach it from its lug mounting. Squeeze the sides inwards and unclip it from the lower lugs. It hinges upwards to free the bulbholder flange. Reverse to refit. Here's a photo.

In Mark 2 lamps, the bulbholders have a quarter turn bayonet fitting. Much easier but access is no better than it ever was. Here it is:

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 01:06   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie21 View Post
Drivers side dipped headlight went tonight. After bobbing my head around the engine bay and much bad language for 20 mins or so I found a flap under the wheel arch giving me some 'knuckle scraping access' with my left hand and little vision. After losing the first bulb in the cavity never to be seen again, I finally got one in by touch and feel. Job well done - 45 mins to change a bulb and a scratched watch, cricked neck and bleeding knuckles. Well done Rover!!
I did not discover the wheelarch access until AFTER I had managed to replace the bulb. I bet the air was bluer here in West Wales!! Took me about 45 mimutes !

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 08:32   #5
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie21 View Post
1. Drivers side is more easily changed by a LEFT handed person. N/Side by a right handed person.

2. Both sides are easier IMO with the bonnet up so that you can look down (admittedly, limited view) at what you are doing. But yes, it is a fiddle and not really suited to fat stubby fingers - like mine!
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 09:23   #6
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I too dropped a bulb while fitting it. I recovered it easily by removing one screw at the bottom of the wheel arch, which holds the arch liner in place. This gives enough access, I found.

HTH

I was tempted to leave it there, but it's slightly more convenient to keep spare bulbs in the boot, alongside the spare wheel............

Malcolm
Old 10th March 2010, 19:34   #7
bramblp
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT

The good news is that it will get easier the more times you do it, the bad news is you will have to do it more often, I have had my 99 CDT for 5 years and I reckon I have changed about 13 - 20 bulbs
bramblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 20:19   #8
brownie21
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblp View Post
The good news is that it will get easier the more times you do it, the bad news is you will have to do it more often, I have had my 99 CDT for 5 years and I reckon I have changed about 13 - 20 bulbs
That's a lot. I've had mine just over 2 years and it's the first time I had to change a headlight bulb. Would gladly wait another 2. I suppose it depends on the quality of the bulbs and the amount of night-time driving?
Anyway the access point is an absolute joke! I reckon the designers were smoking weed or something.

Last edited by brownie21; 10th March 2010 at 20:23..
brownie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 20:27   #9
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Compared to some cars the 75 is a doddle. At least they give us an access hatch. Seat Alhambra apparently requires the removal of the front bumper

Watch out when doing the N/S bulb. Much easier if you unclip the end of the Shannon Tube and move it aside. However this could lead to the tube crumbling away to dust - as in my case.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:51   #10
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Burgess View Post
Compared to some cars the 75 is a doddle. At least they give us an access hatch. Seat Alhambra apparently requires the removal of the front bumper

Watch out when doing the N/S bulb. Much easier if you unclip the end of the Shannon Tube and move it aside. However this could lead to the tube crumbling away to dust - as in my case.
alot of german cars require the removal of the bumper, mate at work has a vw golf mk4 (53 plate) and his goes to the garage every time it needs a new bulb! luckily hes a good friend of the owner, so he does it for nowt...
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote