Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th September 2007, 18:16   #1
Cuda-uk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Unhappy Engine just died CTD

While just driving home from work I went to pull off the A45 into Rugby, put my foot on the clutch and the engine just cut dead. The first I noticed was the low oil pressure warning light on the message centre. It could not have choosen a worse place to happen as I lost power steering as well. The thing is it happened to swmbo the otherday as she pulled up at a junction, I had put it down to her driving. Strangely the car restarted straight away both times.
The car has a few miles on it now but had had a full and comprehensive service history and was last serviced at 142000 by myself inc airfilter(K&N) and oil filter, castrol oil but I didn't change the fuel filter as the paper work I had when I purchased the car stated that it had just been changed. The car has now covered 148000 over 2000 of those in the last three weeks while on holiday.
It has been fitted with a Sinergy which is set to #7 also the egr valve is disconnected and has had the intake mod . The fuel tank is half full and the oil level is on the max mark on the dipstick and hasn't moved since the service. I have no issues as of yet with poor starting from cold infact the car has behaved its self very well since I bought it in April.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so how did you fix it ??
I am now reluctant to let the other half drive (I was before this) incase it happens to her again
Cuda-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2007, 21:12   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Did the engine completely cut out or go down to a weird sort of gutless lumpy tickover?

Mine did this several times when I first bought it normally just after a fairly high speed run!

The symptoms you describe were similar, low oil pressure etc

Then the problem dissapeared I suspect it was low fuel pressure causing the HP pump to shut down and I expect one of my fuel pumps may have been playing up. I put a load of millers through the car and the problem went not sure the Millers did much, more likely I had an intermittent connection on the pumps brushes which eventually improved on its own
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 08:32   #3
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda-uk View Post
While just driving home from work I went to pull off the A45 into Rugby, put my foot on the clutch and the engine just cut dead. The first I noticed was the low oil pressure warning light on the message centre. It could not have choosen a worse place to happen as I lost power steering as well. The thing is it happened to swmbo the otherday as she pulled up at a junction, I had put it down to her driving. Strangely the car restarted straight away both times.
The car has a few miles on it now but had had a full and comprehensive service history and was last serviced at 142000 by myself inc airfilter(K&N) and oil filter, castrol oil but I didn't change the fuel filter as the paper work I had when I purchased the car stated that it had just been changed. The car has now covered 148000 over 2000 of those in the last three weeks while on holiday.
It has been fitted with a Sinergy which is set to #7 also the egr valve is disconnected and has had the intake mod . The fuel tank is half full and the oil level is on the max mark on the dipstick and hasn't moved since the service. I have no issues as of yet with poor starting from cold infact the car has behaved its self very well since I bought it in April.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so how did you fix it ??
I am now reluctant to let the other half drive (I was before this) incase it happens to her again
Check the Synergy conenctions and also switch it off and see if this makes a difference. It is rare for a faulty one to cause the engine to stop, especially at low rpm.

Ron
Old 21st September 2007, 18:28   #4
Cuda-uk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the input chaps.
Just a quick update;
while driving to work this morning with the cruise control on it feels like the car is surging i.e on and off the power and when I arrived at work the tickover had become very uneven Also when I started the car for the trip home in the pouring rain i thought that I would try holding the rpm a little higher whilst parked in the car park, if the rev's are kept at 2000+ it seems ok but if the ref drop to about 1600 they will drop off losing about 2/300 rpm just for a few seconds and then return to normal for a few seconds.
Would a session on a T4 help pin point this problem?? if so what is Lates phone number so I can book it in asap as this is driving me up the wall..

Ron one of the first thing I did was switch off the box and it was still the same..
Old 21st September 2007, 21:36   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Look on the Club front Page then Directory for Details of Lates.

or........ You know what to do:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/inde...page=directory
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 10:29   #6
Cuda-uk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quick update;

I tried a few things at work yesterday to try and sort this problem out,

1: Disconnected the synergy unit and the idle was much improved, no more hunting but was totally flat until 2000rpm due to Pierburgh maf being fitted.

2: Reconnected synergy unit with only the mafam switched on back to poor idle.

3: Removed pierburgh maf and fitted my orignal maf and diconnected synergy unit, idle quality restored. At least I can drive it now.

4: Refitted synergy unit but left it switched off, idle good

5: Switched on TU3 but left the mafam switched off, position 1 idle good - performance ok, position 2 idle good - performance better, position 3 idle good - performance great,postion 10 idle good - performance fantastic..

I took the car on a fourty mile trip and it never missed a beat I also left it ticking over outside my house for twenty minutes and again the idle never moved.

Stange really as it is less than five months old and less than 7000 miles i would have thought that the pierburgh maf should have lasted longer than that.. What are your thoughts?
Old 24th September 2007, 11:37   #7
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda-uk View Post
Quick update;

I tried a few things at work yesterday to try and sort this problem out,

1: Disconnected the synergy unit and the idle was much improved, no more hunting but was totally flat until 2000rpm due to Pierburgh maf being fitted.

2: Reconnected synergy unit with only the mafam switched on back to poor idle.

3: Removed pierburgh maf and fitted my orignal maf and diconnected synergy unit, idle quality restored. At least I can drive it now.

4: Refitted synergy unit but left it switched off, idle good

5: Switched on TU3 but left the mafam switched off, position 1 idle good - performance ok, position 2 idle good - performance better, position 3 idle good - performance great,postion 10 idle good - performance fantastic..

I took the car on a fourty mile trip and it never missed a beat I also left it ticking over outside my house for twenty minutes and again the idle never moved.

Stange really as it is less than five months old and less than 7000 miles i would have thought that the pierburgh maf should have lasted longer than that.. What are your thoughts?
The Pierburgh maf is generally a lot more reliable than that. If its one of mine and under 12months old, I'll replace it.

At least you have found the cause and I'll certainly make a mental note for Pierbugh maf users to check theirs if they experince similar symptoms.

Cheers
Ron
Old 24th September 2007, 11:56   #8
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

I think this is fuel pump. Have had 2 go on 2 different cars, CDT saloon and CDTI tourer. On one car stopped dead never to start again til pump replaced.
On the other engine stopped and after a while started, ran OK then stopped again, this happened several times over a few weeks, pump replaced, no more problems Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 14:37   #9
Cuda-uk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Dave the car ran like a bag of spanners with the pierburgh maf changed it over and was fine, I should have added #6 but this was carried out this morning where I refitted the pierburgh maf and the bad idle returned, I will still not rule out the fuel pump but changing the maf has sorted the problem for now.

Ron can you pm me your address so I can send this one back to be checked out as it would be good to know if indeed it is a faulty one..