PDA

View Full Version : Change of coolant

crown
14th March 2015, 18:54
Hi
I've read on the forum that some 1.8 k series owners have changed their oat coolant to other spec,why is this please? ?
Mark

Doc Evil
14th March 2015, 20:49
Hi Crown
There is evidence to support the fact that OAT coolant degrades the silicone in the system causing leaks and possibly premature failure of the elastomer gasket
on a personal level I changed my coolant to blue glycol as I felt that the shorter life of blue glycol(2 years instead of 4) outweighed the possible damage caused by oat this is a personal choice thing and not enough study has been carried out as to the extent or length of time it takes the oat to cause damage
I tend to change the coolant annually and the oil after approximately 7,500 miles or again annually not required on service schedule but again just personal preference
hope that helps
Doc

crofts
15th March 2015, 02:50
If you are prepared to change the fluid every 1/2 years then you are better off with the blue anti freeze.

The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low. 25-30% is quite adequate and is likely to cause less damage.

kaiser
15th March 2015, 04:27
If you are prepared to change the fluid every 1/2 years then you are better off with the blue anti freeze.

The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low. 25-30% is quite adequate and is likely to cause less damage.

1/2 years? That should be 1 to 2 years.(which I take it is what you meant?)
And yes, old fashioned antifreeze has proven itself for the last 90 years.
That is good enough for me.

Doc Evil
15th March 2015, 04:52
And yes, old fashioned antifreeze has proven itself for the last 90 years.
That is good enough for me.

Morning Kaiser
I didn't know you where that old! you're wearing well

Well said and my sentiments exactly

Doc

crown
15th March 2015, 07:57
Hi Crown
There is evidence to support the fact that OAT coolant degrades the silicone in the system causing leaks and possibly premature failure of the elastomer gasket
on a personal level I changed my coolant to blue glycol as I felt that the shorter life of blue glycol(2 years instead of 4) outweighed the possible damage caused by oat this is a personal choice thing and not enough study has been carried out as to the extent or length of time it takes the oat to cause damage
I tend to change the coolant annually and the oil after approximately 7,500 miles or again annually not required on service schedule but again just personal preference
hope that helps
Doc
Hi doc
As I have to replace my leaking coolant hose, I might as well charge the coolant to blue. What is the best process to flush out the remaining oat?
Mark.

MSS
15th March 2015, 08:46
It's worth pointing out that there is considerable experience of OAT type antifreeze not causing any issues.

All three of my cars have always used OAT. The Omega is now 15 years young.

If you do change to the traditional type, it is imerative that the original is thoroughly flushed out from the system.

kaiser
15th March 2015, 10:33
There is absolutely no reason to be compulsive disorderly about flushing the system. I have mixed the two at one stage, and nothing happens. The stories about the two congealing is a wife's tale, so don't worry.
The worst that can happen is that the lifespan of the mix reduces to the shorter of the mix.

As for OAT as suitable, see GM and their class action suit over DEX COOL, and Ford and their class action over damaged plastic inlet manifolds.

SD1too
15th March 2015, 11:24
Mark; I'm afraid that you've opened up the can of worms again! Before deciding on a course of action, I would read extensively the experiences and views on the forum. Here are my comments on what's been said so far:
Is there? I think you'll find that if you read the claims carefully, there is no proof, just supposition and belief.
The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low.
The 50% concentration is also recommended in respect of the corrosion inhibitors contained within the antifreeze.

As for OAT as suitable, see GM and their class action suit over DEX COOL, and Ford and their class action over damaged plastic inlet manifolds.
Current OAT sold by Comma does not contain the ingredient alleged to be responsible in the Dexcool case.

crown
15th March 2015, 12:01
Hi
A big can of worms lol
I asked the questions hit the send button on my phone, and all hell breaks loose, everyone giving their opinions,and that's absolutely fine, just what this forum is for. Super smashing great as jim bowen used to say. Thank you all for opinions. Bowdown.
Mark.

Salad-Dodger
15th March 2015, 12:03
In most cases, now our cars are getting on a bit in years, we cant be sure that the previous owner/s have put the correct coolant/water ratio into the system. If the ratio was weak on the side of the coolant then a curtain amount of corrosion may be a result.
However, when the head gasket went on the wife's MGF (running on OAT) I got it all apart to find that corrosion was very present in many parts of the system.
The plastic inlet manifold had gone to powder around the area where the coolant passes from the head to the manifold and the steel pipe end where the thermostat housing plugs in with an "O" ring was rotten from the inside. Not to mention the sludge that came out when I flushed it through.
So I used the red long life I can get from my local TPS dealer (VW)
That was two years ago now and its running well.
My ZT-T 190 didn't have OAT in it when I got that and I won't put OAT in it either when I change the coolant. Just my opinion.
Steve

crown
15th March 2015, 12:10
Hi
The first hose I replaced after I purchased my car (the top hose) had rotted at one end.

murphyv310
15th March 2015, 12:37
Hi.
Tap water can be the killer. Some areas are awful. You want to see the rusty internals in the boiler coils I see every day. Karcher advise RM111 additive for this. Now that's a pressure washer. I "always" use distilled water and OAT at 50 50 for proper corrosion protection.

crown
15th March 2015, 12:53
Hi

I live in Norwich.very hard water,always descaling the washing machine.

murphyv310
15th March 2015, 18:49
Hi.
I firmly believe that a lot of corrosion and the gunge found in cooling systems are nothing to do with OAT but the poor qualty water that's being mixed with it. Either use distilled water or ready mixed coolant.

Doc Evil
15th March 2015, 22:03
Hi Crown as I said in my original reply this is my personal preference, I have found that OAT coolant causes a coating which inhibits electrical conductivity which is possibly why Rover abandoned the coolant level sensor blue glycol doesn't seem to suffer the same problem but I have not finished my testing at the moment
If you wish to flush your system a garden Hose way a gun on the end seems to fit the pipework well basically undo the hose ends a design run clean water both ways through the engine rad and heater matrix do this a couple of times all should run clear you can then put your chosen antifreeze in to the correct concentration I test mine with a refractometer
The choice is yours
Doc

Dorset Bob
15th March 2015, 22:27
Hi.
Tap water can be the killer. Some areas are awful. You want to see the rusty internals in the boiler coils I see every day. Karcher advise RM111 additive for this. Now that's a pressure washer. I "always" use distilled water and OAT at 50 50 for proper corrosion protection.

I think that is very sound advice, particularly if live in a very hard water area.
(not that this is the only contamination).

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p636/rshinks/hard-water-map-uk_zpsd511f273.gif (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/rshinks/media/hard-water-map-uk_zpsd511f273.gif.html)

:}

Kennyeth
16th March 2015, 05:47
Don`t talk water :} I hate my water here, the scale that collects at the tap end is like cement, sharp and cuts your knuckles if your not careful it only takes two or three weeks to collect then you have to chip it off.
Ken.

kaiser
16th March 2015, 06:09
I think some people compare their car's cooling system to their domestic appliances and draw conclusions in many directions.

The big difference here is that the water in the cooling system is added maybe on average once a year, maybe even less often. The amount of dissolved solids in the tap water is most likely under 1 g per liter, even in a bad case. And the maximum I guess you can expect to add is maybe 5 grams, realistically.

Unless you boil this water off completely, most of the dissolved solids will stay in suspension, and if you see rust and crud, you can be sure this is mainly caused by water reacting with the engine and it's components.

Even if you use pure water with anti/rust/freeze, you will still see build up of sludge/impurities, it is unavoidable and it can only be minimized/delayed, not totally prevented.

murphyv310
16th March 2015, 06:12
Hi.
Even up here in a soft water area we get a lot of rust forming in boilers and other "internals" I store the water I collect from my dehumidifier which is basically distilled water, we use it in the iron, batteries and the cooling systems of the cars.

crown
16th March 2015, 12:04
Hi Crown as I said in my original reply this is my personal preference, I have found that OAT coolant causes a coating which inhibits electrical conductivity which is possibly why Rover abandoned the coolant level sensor blue glycol doesn't seem to suffer the same problem but I have not finished my testing at the moment
If you wish to flush your system a garden Hose way a gun on the end seems to fit the pipework well basically undo the hose ends a design run clean water both ways through the engine rad and heater matrix do this a couple of times all should run clear you can then put your chosen antifreeze in to the correct concentration I test mine with a refractometer
The choice is yours
Doc
Hi doc
I shall refill the system using blue antifreeze and distilled water.

Mark.

marinabrian
16th March 2015, 12:12
Hi doc

Mark.

Good choice ;)

Brian :D

Doc Evil
16th March 2015, 20:17
Hi doc

Mark.

:D..........