Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2015, 18:54   #1
crown
Gets stuck in

mg zt saloon

Default Change of coolant

Hi
I've read on the forum that some 1.8 k series owners have changed their oat coolant to other spec,why is this please? ?
Mark
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]mods so far; auto boot lift mod, stainless steel back box, jvc double din head unit, vibe speakers, black oak dash, plenum mod, refurbished hairpins, retro fit illuminated sun visors k & n air filter,aero wipers.retro fit electric rear blind.
roewe front bumper with mg grill badge.new turbo vac pipes.
crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 20:49   #2
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Hi Crown
There is evidence to support the fact that OAT coolant degrades the silicone in the system causing leaks and possibly premature failure of the elastomer gasket
on a personal level I changed my coolant to blue glycol as I felt that the shorter life of blue glycol(2 years instead of 4) outweighed the possible damage caused by oat this is a personal choice thing and not enough study has been carried out as to the extent or length of time it takes the oat to cause damage
I tend to change the coolant annually and the oil after approximately 7,500 miles or again annually not required on service schedule but again just personal preference
hope that helps
Doc
Old 15th March 2015, 02:50   #3
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Anti Freeze

If you are prepared to change the fluid every 1/2 years then you are better off with the blue anti freeze.

The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low. 25-30% is quite adequate and is likely to cause less damage.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 04:27   #4
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
If you are prepared to change the fluid every 1/2 years then you are better off with the blue anti freeze.

The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low. 25-30% is quite adequate and is likely to cause less damage.
1/2 years? That should be 1 to 2 years.(which I take it is what you meant?)
And yes, old fashioned antifreeze has proven itself for the last 90 years.
That is good enough for me.

Last edited by kaiser; 15th March 2015 at 05:05..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 04:52   #5
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
And yes, old fashioned antifreeze has proven itself for the last 90 years.
That is good enough for me.
Morning Kaiser
I didn't know you where that old! you're wearing well

Well said and my sentiments exactly

Doc
Old 15th March 2015, 07:57   #6
crown
Gets stuck in

mg zt saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Evil View Post
Hi Crown
There is evidence to support the fact that OAT coolant degrades the silicone in the system causing leaks and possibly premature failure of the elastomer gasket
on a personal level I changed my coolant to blue glycol as I felt that the shorter life of blue glycol(2 years instead of 4) outweighed the possible damage caused by oat this is a personal choice thing and not enough study has been carried out as to the extent or length of time it takes the oat to cause damage
I tend to change the coolant annually and the oil after approximately 7,500 miles or again annually not required on service schedule but again just personal preference
hope that helps
Doc
Hi doc
As I have to replace my leaking coolant hose, I might as well charge the coolant to blue. What is the best process to flush out the remaining oat?
Mark.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]mods so far; auto boot lift mod, stainless steel back box, jvc double din head unit, vibe speakers, black oak dash, plenum mod, refurbished hairpins, retro fit illuminated sun visors k & n air filter,aero wipers.retro fit electric rear blind.
Old 15th March 2015, 08:46   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

It's worth pointing out that there is considerable experience of OAT type antifreeze not causing any issues.

All three of my cars have always used OAT. The Omega is now 15 years young.

If you do change to the traditional type, it is imerative that the original is thoroughly flushed out from the system.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 10:33   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

There is absolutely no reason to be compulsive disorderly about flushing the system. I have mixed the two at one stage, and nothing happens. The stories about the two congealing is a wife's tale, so don't worry.
The worst that can happen is that the lifespan of the mix reduces to the shorter of the mix.

As for OAT as suitable, see GM and their class action suit over DEX COOL, and Ford and their class action over damaged plastic inlet manifolds.

Last edited by kaiser; 15th March 2015 at 10:46..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 11:24   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Mark; I'm afraid that you've opened up the can of worms again! Before deciding on a course of action, I would read extensively the experiences and views on the forum. Here are my comments on what's been said so far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Evil View Post
Is there? I think you'll find that if you read the claims carefully, there is no proof, just supposition and belief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low.
The 50% concentration is also recommended in respect of the corrosion inhibitors contained within the antifreeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
As for OAT as suitable, see GM and their class action suit over DEX COOL, and Ford and their class action over damaged plastic inlet manifolds.
Current OAT sold by Comma does not contain the ingredient alleged to be responsible in the Dexcool case.
Old 15th March 2015, 12:01   #10
crown
Gets stuck in

mg zt saloon

Hi
A big can of worms lol
I asked the questions hit the send button on my phone, and all hell breaks loose, everyone giving their opinions,and that's absolutely fine, just what this forum is for. Super smashing great as jim bowen used to say. Thank you all for opinions. Bowdown.
Mark.