The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Change of coolant (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=211030)

crown 14th March 2015 18:54

Change of coolant

Hi
I've read on the forum that some 1.8 k series owners have changed their oat coolant to other spec,why is this please? ?
Mark

Doc Evil 14th March 2015 20:49

Hi Crown
There is evidence to support the fact that OAT coolant degrades the silicone in the system causing leaks and possibly premature failure of the elastomer gasket
on a personal level I changed my coolant to blue glycol as I felt that the shorter life of blue glycol(2 years instead of 4) outweighed the possible damage caused by oat this is a personal choice thing and not enough study has been carried out as to the extent or length of time it takes the oat to cause damage
I tend to change the coolant annually and the oil after approximately 7,500 miles or again annually not required on service schedule but again just personal preference
hope that helps
Doc

crofts 15th March 2015 02:50

Anti Freeze

If you are prepared to change the fluid every 1/2 years then you are better off with the blue anti freeze.

The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low. 25-30% is quite adequate and is likely to cause less damage.

kaiser 15th March 2015 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by crofts (Post 1948117)
If you are prepared to change the fluid every 1/2 years then you are better off with the blue anti freeze.

The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low. 25-30% is quite adequate and is likely to cause less damage.

1/2 years? That should be 1 to 2 years.(which I take it is what you meant?)
And yes, old fashioned antifreeze has proven itself for the last 90 years.
That is good enough for me.

Doc Evil 15th March 2015 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 1948133)
And yes, old fashioned antifreeze has proven itself for the last 90 years.
That is good enough for me.

Morning Kaiser
I didn't know you where that old! you're wearing well

Well said and my sentiments exactly

Doc

crown 15th March 2015 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Evil (Post 1947993)
Hi Crown
There is evidence to support the fact that OAT coolant degrades the silicone in the system causing leaks and possibly premature failure of the elastomer gasket
on a personal level I changed my coolant to blue glycol as I felt that the shorter life of blue glycol(2 years instead of 4) outweighed the possible damage caused by oat this is a personal choice thing and not enough study has been carried out as to the extent or length of time it takes the oat to cause damage
I tend to change the coolant annually and the oil after approximately 7,500 miles or again annually not required on service schedule but again just personal preference
hope that helps
Doc

Hi doc
As I have to replace my leaking coolant hose, I might as well charge the coolant to blue. What is the best process to flush out the remaining oat?
Mark.

MSS 15th March 2015 08:46

It's worth pointing out that there is considerable experience of OAT type antifreeze not causing any issues.

All three of my cars have always used OAT. The Omega is now 15 years young.

If you do change to the traditional type, it is imerative that the original is thoroughly flushed out from the system.

kaiser 15th March 2015 10:33

There is absolutely no reason to be compulsive disorderly about flushing the system. I have mixed the two at one stage, and nothing happens. The stories about the two congealing is a wife's tale, so don't worry.
The worst that can happen is that the lifespan of the mix reduces to the shorter of the mix.

As for OAT as suitable, see GM and their class action suit over DEX COOL, and Ford and their class action over damaged plastic inlet manifolds.

SD1too 15th March 2015 11:24

Mark; I'm afraid that you've opened up the can of worms again! Before deciding on a course of action, I would read extensively the experiences and views on the forum. Here are my comments on what's been said so far:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Evil (Post 1947993)

Is there? I think you'll find that if you read the claims carefully, there is no proof, just supposition and belief.
Quote:

Originally Posted by crofts (Post 1948117)
The recommended 50/50 dilution with OAT is not necessary here as temperatures here do not reach that low.

The 50% concentration is also recommended in respect of the corrosion inhibitors contained within the antifreeze.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 1948416)
As for OAT as suitable, see GM and their class action suit over DEX COOL, and Ford and their class action over damaged plastic inlet manifolds.

Current OAT sold by Comma does not contain the ingredient alleged to be responsible in the Dexcool case.

crown 15th March 2015 12:01

Hi
A big can of worms lol
I asked the questions hit the send button on my phone, and all hell breaks loose, everyone giving their opinions,and that's absolutely fine, just what this forum is for. Super smashing great as jim bowen used to say. Thank you all for opinions. Bowdown.
Mark.