The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Air bag warning sign (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20792)

justmicky 16th May 2008 08:04

Air bag warning sign

I have a Rover 75 Club SE 1.8 (W - 2000). For a few years now I have constantly had the airbag warning light showing up on the dash indicator panel. Sometimes it goes out, but more often than not it is illuminated. If the warning sign is "out" for any length of time, it appears to come back on when the drivers seat has been altered i.e. pushed back/forward. I can see some electrical connections under the drivers seat....could this be related? Any solutions at all for this problem?
Regards
justmicky

baxlin 16th May 2008 10:22

It has been well discussed on here, and yes, it seems it's usually is the connectors under the seat, yellow IIRC.

The consensus is to ideally replace them with fully soldered joints, but at least make sure the connectors are really tight, and hold them so with a cable tie.

When the light's on, the airbags are disabled, so it's an important fix to do.

HTH

malcolm

GERFIX 16th May 2008 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxlin (Post 186119)
It has been well discussed on here, and yes, it seems it's usually is the connectors under the seat, yellow IIRC.

The consensus is to ideally replace them with fully soldered joints, but at least make sure the connectors are really tight, and hold them so with a cable tie.

When the light's on, the airbags are disabled, so it's an important fix to do.

HTH

malcolm

Ditto, although, rather than the full solder joints I used spade connectors and shrinkwrapped them. That was just my personal preference to making a permanent joint.

justmicky 16th May 2008 11:51

airbag warning sign

Many thanks for that. Will get right onto that and let you know how I get on
Kind Regards
Justmicky

Jules 16th May 2008 15:11

Agree with Gerfix
Lucas connectors seem the best, and you can unplug if ever seats have to come out.

The big danger with soldering is unless you posses an industrial standard soldering iron that is Electrostatically insulated, ESD it, may trigger the airbag system.

The official Rover mod kit had special connectors and a way of heating the solder without actually touching the conductors. (price was about £100 for the privilege!!)

If you really insist on soldering the dodge is to heat the Iron up first then disconnect it & start soldering. No airbags gone of here yet (touching wooden dash);)

justmicky 16th May 2008 17:21

Airbag warning light

Well I have had these yellow IIRC connectors apart for a look, put them back together again...with tie wraps around (also had the blue connnectors apart too)....and still the same...the light stays on for 4 secs, briefly goes out and then comes back on. I am a bit wary of cuttiing out these connectors myself? Am I likely to set off any air bags....or am I best taking it to a garage?
Regards
Justmicky

baxlin 16th May 2008 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 186172)
Agree with Gerfix
Lucas connectors seem the best, and you can unplug if ever seats have to come out.

The big danger with soldering is unless you posses an industrial standard soldering iron that is Electrostatically insulated, ESD it, may trigger the airbag system.

The official Rover mod kit had special connectors and a way of heating the solder without actually touching the conductors. (price was about £100 for the privilege!!)

If you really insist on soldering the dodge is to heat the Iron up first then disconnect it & start soldering. No airbags gone of here yet (touching wooden dash);)

Sorry if I gave a b*m steer, chaps, as I said in my post, I haven't done the fix myself, and thought I'd read on here to solder. Memory's obviously going as well:o

justmicky 16th May 2008 20:20

Hi,
Can you explain what you mean by "shrink wrapping" the connectors
Regards
justmicky

GreyGhost 16th May 2008 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by justmicky (Post 186273)
Hi,
Can you explain what you mean by "shrink wrapping" the connectors
Regards
justmicky

Electrical wire sleeving that shrinks when heated.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...t15&doy=search

justmicky 17th May 2008 18:30

Air bag warning signs

Thanks for all the help so far.
I took all the connectors under the seats to bits again today and managed to bypass them all. No success though. Have had to admit defeat as far as my tech ability goes, and so I am getting a "mobile diagnostic" check done...comes recommended as similair prob solved using the same guy recently reported on the forum. Could be a number of other things according to feedback on the forum...fingers crossed its still something simple! Next sat the diag check so will post results accordingly as this seems to be a common problem!
Once again...thanks guys..would be in limbo without this forum
Justmicky