The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Should I scrap my 75, would you? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=319084)

macafee2 11th May 2022 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2931542)
See if someone on here will give you a price higher than the scrappy will give you, sell it to them, then that will give you loads of time to regret and rue the decision, good luck.

and of course, ask to buy it back :)

macafee2

suzublu 11th May 2022 08:39

My tuppence worth, don't use Kwik fit ☺️

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

bikerdude666 11th May 2022 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair (Post 2931521)
Pick up a 2nd hand subframe, spend £50 ish quid having is sandblasted and powder coated.

That's what I did, 2nd hand subframe and had it sandblasted, was only about £20-30 cash in hand between booked in jobs. But I then sprayed it myself with some good quality paint recommended by MarinaBrian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair (Post 2931521)
Also you'd probably find it's surface rust, and an hour or two with a wore brush and some paint will sort it. Unless the whole lot is extremely bad.

That is probably the case for the subframe, but the 2nd hand one I bought came complete with upper and lower arms, which looked in good condition with just surface rust, so I also had them sand blasted at the same time. The subframe came back great, but once sandblasted the arms were useless, holes all over them.

Norman2CV 11th May 2022 09:01

The large spray cans of Bilt Hamber Dynax Wax come with a long injector lance which is ideal for coating the insides of the arms, as they tend to rust from the inside out. perfect for insides of sills too.

hogweed 11th May 2022 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2931498)
I've had the replacement 7 months now, and I haven't regretted it once.

I nearly did a couple of weeks ago... so what did you get?

bikerdude666 11th May 2022 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogweed (Post 2931563)
I nearly did a couple of weeks ago... so what did you get?

It's a Jaguar XE, 2015, it's less practical than the ZT, less leg room in the back, a smaller boot, and the rear seats don't fold down, but 99% of the time it's just me in the car. Having said that, it did take all 5 of us, with a weeks worth of luggage, and the caravan up to the Peak District at easter.
It's a relaxing and economical drive when cruising along (journeys to work are regularly seeing me get 58-60mpg compared to the 47-48mpg of the ZT), but also handles great if you want to have some fun. And I only have the lowest power model.

Tenesmus 11th May 2022 14:03

I was about to say I wouldn't trust Kwik Fit, but I was beaten to it... and as for laughing at you, well he can eff off.

Bazzateer 11th May 2022 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steamrally (Post 2931517)
I was at Kwik Fit today.

That was your first mistake.

Rickshaw 11th May 2022 21:15

Stick with it

The first lesson is ‘These cars just CAN be kept going and there are plenty of sources still available – as some chaps have already mentioned’
The second lesson is that , contrary to what some idiots at Kwikfit and some garages might have you believe , these cars ARE outstanding , ARE extremely well built and ARE worth some investment. I have been VERY wary of some of these clever dicks at garages ever since I found a fantastic 75 in a scrap yard due to the old owner being told his gear cable was bust and there were none available for a repair. This angered me and within a week or so I had five in my garage! I guess they sold the old chap a new car and made lots of money !
Anyway , your car is only at 121K miles . I have three around this mileage and your age (52) and have no doubt they will go on for ages.
Beneath, I removed ALL rust beneath each and fully treated with rust killer , top coat and underbody protection. Did same to all wings , subframes etc and cavities.
On top I use a range of products -Polishes , Sealants – to keep the paintwork looking good. On one wing I rubbed down and then used a respray can - result excellent. Have done same to a bumper – although a dog hit one car and I had a professional job done on that – car looks fantastic. Paint CAN be successfully updated.
I have tried other cars at times but none have the character , pleasure to drive / luxury of a 75. Stick with it , use the contacts/expertise in this club and suppliers like DMGRS and you will come out very pleased.

planenut 12th May 2022 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickshaw (Post 2931663)
...................... although a dog hit one car ..................

Are you sure that you did not hit the dog?