The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Would T4 Help Diagnose K-Bus Problem? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310536)

Aldeburgh 17th January 2021 09:52

Would T4 Help Diagnose K-Bus Problem?

Morning,
I'm loving my recent Rover (facelift 2.5 V6 Auto Highline SE) but it's recently developed that fault where the indicators work on the outside but not the inside (no dash warning along with headlights and foglights).
I've found loads of useful information here regarding a K-Bus fault and spent the last few weekends trying the stuff with the plenum, fusebox, all the things in the boot and head unit but the problem still persists and I'm probably at the limit of my skill TBH.
I've read about the T4 diagnostic units - if I took the car to a dealer with one of those (I think there's one in Baldock) would it help in fixing the problem, or would I risk an expensive and potentially fruitless diagnostic session?

marinabrian 17th January 2021 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldeburgh (Post 2860158)
Morning,
I'm loving my recent Rover (facelift 2.5 V6 Auto Highline SE) but it's recently developed that fault where the indicators work on the outside but not the inside (no dash warning along with headlights and foglights).
I've found loads of useful information here regarding a K-Bus fault and spent the last few weekends trying the stuff with the plenum, fusebox, all the things in the boot and head unit but the problem still persists and I'm probably at the limit of my skill TBH.
I've read about the T4 diagnostic units - if I took the car to a dealer with one of those (I think there's one in Baldock) would it help in fixing the problem, or would I risk an expensive and potentially fruitless diagnostic session?

It might, but as T4 communicates on the K-Bus it might fall down at the first hurdle.

I would suggest rather than heading to B&G in Baldock, you might be better booking the car at Souls of Olney as the standard of T4 operator they have is somewhat better than average ;)

Brian :D

another_clean_sheet 17th January 2021 10:46

Quote:

I have never used them but Brown and Gammons in Baldock have a good reputation with some of the members on the forum

sworks 17th January 2021 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2860172)

I would suggest rather than heading to B&G in Baldock, you might be better booking the car at Souls of Olney as the standard of T4 operator they have is somewhat better than average ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet (Post 2860177)
I have never used them but Brown and Gammons in Baldock have a good reputation with some of the members on the forum

Excellent advice as usual by Brian, definitely head to Souls first

SD1too 18th January 2021 07:23

Quote:

I've ... spent the last few weekends trying the stuff with the plenum, fusebox, all the things in the boot and head unit but the problem still persists ...

Hi Richard,

Before you get your credit card out have you seen this useful post?

Simon

itcaptainslow 18th January 2021 11:31

I would definitely recommend Souls over B&G.

Aldeburgh 19th January 2021 16:35

Thanks for the useful replies. I'll see if I can locate that co289 connector to give it one more go and then head garagewards. The only downside to Olney is that it's about an hour away but it's encouraging to hear they could help.

COLVERT 19th January 2021 17:57

Make sure you read Simons post number 5.--:smilie_re: Go now.--;)

marinabrian 20th January 2021 17:04

1 Attachment(s)
I had these exact fault symptoms on a local members car today.

T4 connected, and complained about the EWS, bypassed that screen and got into the main diagnostic tree.

Progressing through the check, the car would not talk to the LSM, so it was removed to check, and indeed replaced temporarily as an aide by elimination only, which made no difference.

T4 would talk to the EWS with the LSM disconnected, and vice versa but not with both together.

While I was reassembling the car, and I have to say it was absolutely tipping down, I happened to glance into the rear footwell, which was full of water :eek:

Now the car itself was a very strange spec indeed, Classic fitted with manual double piped leather seats, so I took a look at the rear footwell, and covered over with a carrier bag was the wiring plug for electric seats, denoting this car has the highline loom fitted from factory sitting in a puddle under the seat, it's contacts all green and corroded !!! :eek:

After a quick clean of the plug with Isopropanol and a toothbrush while the owner made a cuppa, and normal service was resumed :cool:

So in answer to the question posed by the OP, yes T4 would help diagnose this type of problem, and yes it helps to know what might also cause this type of problem in the first instance ;)

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...1&d=1611165250

I've had these symptoms before on a Contemporary SE fitted with memory sports leather, where the K-Bus wiring to the memory seat module was damaged, so why not take a torch and have a look see?

Many moons back, but take a look HERE

Aldeburgh 21st January 2021 13:21

Thanks, Brian - somewhere else to look. I'm certainly finding my way around the car now!