The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another fan problem (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=154348)

Charles 1st August 2013 20:15

Another fan problem

An unwelcome lack of cold air coupled with a whooping noise from under the bonnet when idling alerted me to the fact that my fan has stopped working. It had new brushes fitted last year (courtesy of Dave "Stocktake" with the help of what seemed like half the Yorkshire membership!) and I would be surprised if the new ones had burned out already. Any other ideas, anyone? :confused:

The car is a 2002 2.0 petrol Connoisseur and as far as I know, still has the original fan (certainly no silver box visible.)

T-Cut 1st August 2013 22:00

If the fan has stopped running at slow speed, the chances are the brushes have packed up. Some you win, some you lose I guess.

TC

SD1too 2nd August 2013 07:54

Charles,

If you activate the instrument pack diagnostics to display actual coolant temperature you can find out exactly what has happened to the fan. With air conditioning off, the slow speed should start at 100 degrees C. If it doesn't, wait until the temperature rises to 106 when the medium speed should start.

If one of your brushes has worn out, it might be for several reasons:
  • Car used with air con. in 'auto' constantly, resulting in high fan useage.
  • Very high annual mileage.
  • Poor quality replacement brushes (who knows where the e-bay items come from?).

If this is the case, there's no reason why you can't rebrush the motor for a second time, provided that the commutator is still serviceable. High quality brushes are available directly from ECP in Croydon.

Simon

stocktake 2nd August 2013 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 1377955)
If the fan has stopped running at slow speed, the chances are the brushes have packed up. Some you win, some you lose I guess.

TC

That would be my guess :( as said there are no guarantees with brush renewal, could be the armature has worn out, this is the first one I have known to fail though.

Charles 2nd August 2013 16:27

Have run the engine up to 107C but no response from fan. Does that mean it is totally kaput?

New brushes fitted last year were bought on eBay so may not have been best quality. Annual mileage is around 11,000 but the air-con has been working hard during the last few weeks!

stocktake 2nd August 2013 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1378482)
Have run the engine up to 107C but no response from fan. Does that mean it is totally kaput?

New brushes fitted last year were bought on eBay so may not have been best quality. Annual mileage is around 11,000 but the air-con has been working hard during the last few weeks!

Probably Charles :(

Charles 2nd August 2013 17:51

Any idea what I should expect to pay for a new one, including fitting? I saw another thread on here which suggests it is a major operation, which is a little worrying.

Also, I have seen some references to upgrading to (I think) a Kenlowe fan. How much extra would this cost, and is it worth it?

The car is now 13 years old, so I am reluctant to spend a great deal on it, but I would like to keep it going if I can do so at reasonable cost.

T-Cut 2nd August 2013 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1378527)
- - - I am reluctant to spend a great deal on it, but I would like to keep it going if I can do so at reasonable cost.

Here's a view in a different direction.

Click: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=153970

TC

Charles 2nd August 2013 18:21

It's certainly a thought. I had better have a conversation with our local ex-Rover mechanic.

SD1too 2nd August 2013 22:21

Charles,

My view on your situation:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1378482)

Not necessarily. It means that the low and medium speeds aren't working because one motor brush has worn down. If the brushes were poor quality, then you may need to renew them all. If the motor has been run for a lengthy period in this faulty state then it may be damaged beyond repair; otherwise it's not "totally kaput". :}

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 1378527)
Any idea what I should expect to pay for a new one, including fitting?

The cost depends upon your preferred solution:
  • New brushes: cheap but DIY only.
  • Second-hand 2 speed system: consult Arctic. Reasonably cheap.
  • Kenlowe aftermarket system: consult Jules. Much better than an MG Rover official replacement.

Quote:

The car is now 13 years old, so I am reluctant to spend a great deal on it ...
Why? The age of the car is irrelevant. It's a good car which will cost you much more to replace than the cost of a fan motor. With proper maintenance it will go on for many years yet. Newer cars are often much more troublesome (and expensive). And you won't get the back-up available on this forum!

Simon