Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th January 2016, 00:55   #1
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts
Default Couple of theories on the diesel cool running problem?

I am starting a new thread as I didnt want to hijack Daznkel's thread any further.

I have been having problems (let's call it an irritant now) since I got the car nearly two years ago (next monday actually ) .

Started reading through the forum that thermostat was a common issue, so it was one of the first things I checked out, sure enough, it would rarely pass 70 degrees.

Installed the R5 top hose 'stat three times in total. I think I damaged the copper bulbs on the first two, as the temperature would barely reach 72 degrees. But the running temperature did improve. the thrid 'stat, allowed the temperature rise to 80 - 82 degrees under normal running (commuting and to and from the shops).

The temperature would take about 5 miles at 40 - 50 mph to reach 75 degrees, and then to the motorway driving between 70-80 mph for four miles, it would rise to 85 under acceleration and settle to 80 when cruising. This pattern sounds fine and natural to me. It is the numbers that I believe are the issue.

The accepted wisdom, is the original thermostat is faulty, with slow opening. That I accept fully and dont doubt. The other contributing factor is that the engine is very thermally efficient. Again I can accept that fully. I have a replacement OEM (3rd gen) thermostat in preparation for fitting when the engine mount needs to be replaced, may as well, when the engine needs moved about. But until then, I dont want to disturb it.

What I cant get my head around is why the temperature doesnt rise enough to open the R5 stat fully. I havent seen the temperature rise more than 90 ever! Even driving up a steep section of motorway to 90 mph! It dropped to 78 and maintained that on the level for 15 miles at 70-75 mph. I havent also seen the temperature drop suddenly suggesting the stat was opened.

Theory one, is it the radiator?

I can appreciate as you drive along at a steady pace, the temperature can fall with the airflow passing through. But it does stays pretty constant. Just lower than I would like it to be. I am wondering, is it possible that the radiator is blocked somehow as in the picture below. Perhaps corrosion building up and blocking the flow in the section tinted gold. Therefore the stat doesnt open fully and the coolant doesnt fill the radiator quickly enough to fill it. That flow passes quickly through, cooling quickly. The radiator if not filled completely, would not have enough ambient coolant heat to keep 'warm' the flowing coolant. Or perhaps, if the radiator contained 2 litres of coolant, but with the blockage I suggest, maybe only 1 litre is passing through. My thinking is that the 1 litre of coolant would cool quicker than 2 litres, therefore colder going into the engine. (latent heat capacity?)

I know it is unlikely, but I am trying to think of other potential issues that can cause it to run at lowish temperatures, even with its thermal efficiency. I know that the radiators are the same throughout the range of engines, so therefore were likely designed to keep the petrol engines cooler. But the standard 'stat was designed to open fully at 88 degrees in the diesel which would suggest to me that the coolant should be capable of reaching 90-95 degrees, and maintain 82-88 even with that radiator.

I have read a few others with the same issue as myself, after fitting the top hose 'stat. Some people say this solves their issue. I have read a couple of times, whilst it increases the temperature, it still doesnt increase the temperature to the magic 88 degrees.

Theory two, is the temperature sender faulty?

well, as the it says, could it be the coolant temperature sender? If the temperature sender becomes faulty, and under reads, the ECU would then overfuel? This would cause the reduction in fuel economy, and possibly even a reduction in power. I think this is a more realistic issue, and only affecting a small number of us ....... so far. The coolant could actually be running to the magic 88 degree region, but the sender is reading 10% low.

I am sorry it is such a long winded post, but wanted to include the background too, to eliminate or suggest alternative issues. I do not drive hard, and with it being an auto, have little control of the revs. But even driving hard, the temperature rises to around 80-82, and then falls to 75 when cruising.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, because it is driving me nuts. I understand how the system works. Coolant effectively starts off cold in the engine, water pump pushing it about, over the sender unit, until it reaches the opening temperature of the 'stat, which gently opens as the temperature rises, softening the wax. Coolant flows into the top hose of the radiator, pump and gravity pushing the coolant to the bottom of the radiator via the tubing cooled by the fins. Out the bottom hose, into the engine and back around, with the stat staying partially opened under normal use, allowing the flow to maintain a steady temperature of coolant. So with the radiator issue I suggested above, being unlikely, that only leaves the sender as the other component in the system that could cause an issue like this.

Where is the sender located, and is it easily accessible? It only occurred to me today, but wont get the chance to look for it 'til the weekend (EDIT: just looked it up on Rimmers, seems to be below the inlet manifold, will this need to be removed to access it?)

Just to add, interior temperature is fine, and the coolant temperature drops slightly when using the the heater.

edit the above after much discussion, is not relevant to my issue.

In short!

the original theories in the first post are not valid in my current issue.

An inline stat is the quick solution to replace an awkward OEM out of spec stat.

An inline stat that is not watertight will likely cause the engine to warm up slowly. (this is the point I am at now)

Test the stat by filling the cup of it with water and observe its water tightness.

If no water passes through, then fit, and enjoy full operating temps within 5 miles (apparently).

RESULT HERE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (44.0 KB, 829 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 7th February 2016 at 16:05..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote