Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2016, 22:39   #1
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Default My average MPG has dropped from 38 to 28!

As above according to the IPK, which I understand not to be as accurate as a brim to brim test, the average weekly mpg has dropped on my ZT CDTi. Average about 400 miles a week.

Now, the car is regularly serviced, by myself every 8K or so (Last one 1.5K ago) and gets a monthly shot of STP injector cleaner. Tested the MAF and it seems to be ok. It has been 160 remapped by Phil-T4 and still drives well, with no noticeable loss in power/response, black smoke or boost loss.
When Phil flashed the 160 a few months back, injector 3 was slightly overfuelling. I cant remember the exact figures, but he said it was ok.
I renewed the top boost hose earlier in the year and at that time the EGR was not significantly coked up. I have never removed the inlet manifold and cleaned it yet. The car is currently on 152K ish.

What would be the best course of action?

I am guessing, Clean or delete the EGR,
Remove and clean the inlet manifold,
Injector leakback test.

Any help, much appreciated.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 22:44   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznkel View Post
As above according to the IPK, which I understand not to be as accurate as a brim to brim test, the average weekly mpg has dropped on my ZT CDTi. Average about 400 miles a week.

Now, the car is regularly serviced, by myself every 8K or so (Last one 1.5K ago) and gets a monthly shot of STP injector cleaner. Tested the MAF and it seems to be ok. It has been 160 remapped by Phil-T4 and still drives well, with no noticeable loss in power/response, black smoke or boost loss.
When Phil flashed the 160 a few months back, injector 3 was slightly overfuelling. I cant remember the exact figures, but he said it was ok.
I renewed the top boost hose earlier in the year and at that time the EGR was not significantly coked up. I have never removed the inlet manifold and cleaned it yet. The car is currently on 152K ish.

What would be the best course of action?

I am guessing, Clean or delete the EGR,
Remove and clean the inlet manifold,
Injector leakback test.

Any help, much appreciated.
Have you checked the temperature of the coolant using the OBD? Mine increased around 30% when I fitted the top hose mod thermostat.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 22:45   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

How often doyou rest the mpg figure. ?
Old 4th January 2016, 22:49   #4
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Have you checked the temperature of the coolant using the OBD? Mine increased around 30% when I fitted the top hose mod thermostat.
It has an in line stat fitted in the top hose already. Although, it maybe just me, but in the last week or so, seems to have been taking longer to get to temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
How often doyou rest the mpg figure. ?
Usually every couple of weeks. Also generally drive the same routes each week.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 4th January 2016, 22:53   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Do you reset it when stationary....
Old 4th January 2016, 22:56   #6
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
Do you reset it when stationary....
Yes mate, usually before I set off. Just checked, the last reset was over 800miles ago, so about 2 weeks normal driving.

Why would it make a difference?

Upgrades/Mods so far:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 4th January 2016, 22:57   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznkel View Post
It has an in line stat fitted in the top hose already. Although, it maybe just me, but in the last week or so, seems to have been taking longer to get to temperature.

Has the ambient temperature been much lower recently? I doubt this, however that could explain the longer temp times. But in saying that, the top hose stat may have failed also. For the cost and effort it would probably be the easiest 'repair'

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 23:01   #8
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Has the ambient temperature been much lower recently? I doubt this, however that could explain the longer temp times. But in saying that, the top hose stat may have failed also. For the cost and effort it would probably be the easiest 'repair'
Not really, maybe a couple of degrees in the last couple of days. The stat that is fitted, was there when I bought the car 32K ish miles ago and is the one that sits inside the tophose. I only know its there because I had a squeeze around for it, when I bought the car. But as you say, for the cost, it is probably worth eliminating.

Upgrades/Mods so far:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 4th January 2016, 23:01   #9
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

My ZT auto diesel averages around 37 MPG on my usage - about 50 / 50 urban and faster roads. If I sit at around 70 I have seen 45 MPG.

Colder weather hits this by around 3 MPG. I have a working OEM stat.

The EGR and manifold were cleaned by me. I had a fair bit of gunk, but not excessive as some have had - about 5 - 8 mm of gunk.

Cleaning helped responsiveness and smoothed gear changes a bit (they are now almost seamless - before would slightly feel the jolt of changes). MPG not really different.

FBH will affect MPG as it uses fuel.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 23:06   #10
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
My ZT auto diesel averages around 37 MPG on my usage - about 50 / 50 urban and faster roads. If I sit at around 70 I have seen 45 MPG.

Colder weather hits this by around 3 MPG. I have a working OEM stat.

The EGR and manifold were cleaned by me. I had a fair bit of gunk, but not excessive as some have had - about 5 - 8 mm of gunk.

Cleaning helped responsiveness and smoothed gear changes a bit (they are now almost seamless - before would slightly feel the jolt of changes). MPG not really different.

FBH will affect MPG as it uses fuel.
My weekly drive is about 50/50 also and I regularly saw 38-40mpg. (Manual transmission). I could sit at 85 on a longer journey and easily get 45mpg.

I think an EGR/manifold clean up and new inline stat will be the first port of call then.

Upgrades/Mods so far:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]