Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2012, 21:45   #11
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Mick,if you get the part yourself get this one http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/clutch-s...0g-p-1055.html. It's cheaper than the Rover part,and uses metal pipes ,rather than plastic. Clutch kit is also the same fit,but master cylinder has to be Rover part,as Freelander is totally different. Labour costs expect to pay about £200+ vat,. I had mine done at a local garage for £150 cash. So you could try that approach,but you won't get a bill or guarantee for the labour.
Old 30th December 2012, 10:12   #12
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Try this!

Remove master cylinder cap!! (the one behind the clutch pedal!!)
Remove the rubber seal/condom ! you will see why it's called that when its out!! -half fill the master cylinder with brake/clutch fluid!! operate the pedal by hand for a few strokes!! leave 4/5 seconds between strokes and tap the master cylinder while your waiting to encourage any air bubbles to detach from the cylinder wall - the master cylinder is mounted sloping down so as soon as the air gets in there you will lose the clutch!! filling it and doing the above will enable it to self bleed through the feed hole from the reservoir and restore clutch operation!!

NOTE !! before anybody yells at me!! this will only work if you have a small/slow leak!! - if the slave has compleatly popped then it doesn't!!

However I did this for something close to 2 1/2 years and 40k miles before my slave finally went!! it needed topping up every 1500 miles or so (although it could and did vary quite a lot depending on both the use and type of driving I was doing!)

This just might save you laying out quite a lot of money right here and now and possibly for some time!! (see above!!)

It should only take 15 mins the first time and I got so I could do it in 5mins in the dark with out a torch!! - ask Petetourer!! - he timmied me once!! LOL!

The secret is to kneel by the car and use your left hand!! a syringe is the easyest way to do it!! bit of washer pipe on it and a bit of bent coat hanger in the pipe to enable the pipe to hook over the edge!

Cut off most of the condom if it works to fill the thing right up and use the edge of the condom as a seal when you replace the cap!! - this will give you more time between top ups!

If nothing else this might (hopefully) enable you to get to the garage!! it might last months (in my case years!!) or not!!

At any rate it's got to be worth a try no??

HTH??

Andy

P.S !! if the clutch fluid is dripping out of the lower edge of the bell housing drain holes your probably going to struggle!!
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 15:16   #13
mickm1
Loves to post

MG ZT & Rover 75 Facelift models in Pearlescent Black

Thanks for all replys and help

Is it most likely then that it is the slave cylinder that is causing the problem? From the symptmns i have described i mean.

Just so i can purchase the part listeed. Just in case the mechanic says its the master thats gone.

The same rover garage who charged me best part of £400 for replacing my in tank fuel pump... and it was a 2nd hand one
mickm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 15:32   #14
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickm1 View Post
Thanks for all replys and help

Is it most likely then that it is the slave cylinder that is causing the problem? From the symptmns i have described i mean.

Just so i can purchase the part listeed. Just in case the mechanic says its the master thats gone.

The same rover garage who charged me best part of £400 for replacing my in tank fuel pump... and it was a 2nd hand one
Hi Mick,

An advice,for peace of mind ,have Slave AND Master changed at the same time..

Mike

Last edited by FrenchMike; 30th December 2012 at 16:59..
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 16:34   #15
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts
Exclamation Don't delay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickm1 View Post
Cheers m8

Is it easy enough to bleed so i can get it to a garage?

Thanks for all replys

Mick
Hi Mick good luck getting it done. Mine went in the summer. This was my slave cylinder...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0590.jpg (137.7 KB, 36 views)

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 09:52   #16
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Mick,
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I am in the same boat as you except that Im handy with the scanners.
I am going to try Trophy Blue Tourer Andy's method first.

But, Mick, you need to change garages. £400 to change an ITP sounds like a lot to me. Cant remember exactly how long it took me when I did mine, but it was less than an hour.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 10:52   #17
GJBridge
Gets stuck in

75 Contemp SE Tourer CDTi

I had exactly this issue yesterday, found an old thread giving the same method from Trophy Blue Tourer above.
As I didn't have a syringe (where do you buy a syringe from??) I used a small narrow 'trigger spray' bottle and hooked the nozzle into the reservoir (with left hand) then used one finger of right hand to gently squirt.
Third hand would have been useful to hold torch!!
It is very tight in there if you've big hands.
Old 31st December 2012, 11:34   #18
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBridge View Post
I had exactly this issue yesterday, found an old thread giving the same method from Trophy Blue Tourer above.
As I didn't have a syringe (where do you buy a syringe from??) I used a small narrow 'trigger spray' bottle and hooked the nozzle into the reservoir (with left hand) then used one finger of right hand to gently squirt.
Third hand would have been useful to hold torch!!
It is very tight in there if you've big hands.
Just done mine the TBT Andy way.
I used a syringe from a Tesco printer ink refil pack bt SWIMBO says you can get them from a chemist shop. And SWIMBO knows EVERTYTHING; so she tells me.

There was no rubber condom on mine when i unswrewed the top. Is this a problem??
It was emplty by BTW. Its full now but there is still no pedal presure.

Last edited by jonathan63; 31st December 2012 at 11:37..
Old 31st December 2012, 12:28   #19
GJBridge
Gets stuck in

75 Contemp SE Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Just done mine the TBT Andy way.
I used a syringe from a Tesco printer ink refil pack bt SWIMBO says you can get them from a chemist shop. And SWIMBO knows EVERTYTHING; so she tells me.

There was no rubber condom on mine when i unswrewed the top. Is this a problem??
It was emplty by BTW. Its full now but there is still no pedal presure.
The 'condom' goes down into the reservoir, and is about 1" deep. You can't really see it given the location!!
It should be there - if it is then all you have done is fill it up not the actual reservoir, so no pedal pressure.
Take the screw cap off, and 'roll' your finger over the edge, you should feel the rubber lip/seal. If it is in place, and you have filled it, either remove, or puncture it with a knife point to let fluid run into cylinder.
Replace screw top and give pedal a couple of presses, and you should feel some pressure.
If 'condom' isn't there and you're getting no pressure after filling, it would suggest a major leak.
Old 31st December 2012, 14:14   #20
jonathan63
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBridge View Post
The 'condom' goes down into the reservoir, and is about 1" deep. You can't really see it given the location!!
It should be there - if it is then all you have done is fill it up not the actual reservoir, so no pedal pressure.
Take the screw cap off, and 'roll' your finger over the edge, you should feel the rubber lip/seal. If it is in place, and you have filled it, either remove, or puncture it with a knife point to let fluid run into cylinder.
Replace screw top and give pedal a couple of presses, and you should feel some pressure.
If 'condom' isn't there and you're getting no pressure after filling, it would suggest a major leak.
i thought, when i typed that, that i might have filled on top of the condom.
When i get back home ill syphon it back out and start again.