Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2014, 05:19   #11
Peter Garton
Regular poster

Rover75

This sort of remedy strikes me as being one which has not been thought through, since there are other ways of reducing air pollution.
In Germany as everyone knows already, we don't have a speed limit on the Autobahns with the exception of certain stretches to reduce noise etc.
Since the police will not be able to control the limit consequently as they are'nt even now, a lot of people will ignore the limit.
When I come over and drive on the motorways, keeping strictly to any form of limit is impossible and one is continuously being overtaken, which is unnerving sometimes, thus one goes with the stream and drives just that bit faster.
Peter Garton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 06:10   #12
deanbmx
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t

The majority of the vehicles causing the most pollution are limited to 56mph anyway.
deanbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 06:51   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbmx View Post
The majority of the vehicles causing the most pollution are limited to 56mph anyway.

This was one of the points made in the BBC Radio 4 discussion, i.e. HGVs. Petrol engined vehicles and diesel cars have catalytic converters to prevent pollution, but of course the politicians' definition of that is not NOx or hydrocarbons or CO but carbon dioxide, and that premise is where the nonsense starts.

Simon
Old 8th January 2014, 07:08   #14
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

A good start if on a 4 lane stretch, which it'll be if they use the hard shoulder would be to ban HGV from lanes 3 & 4..Down here on 4 lane sections of the M25 You still get congestion and a lot of the time it's 3 HGV's playing 'I can do 1 mph more than you' up a flipping incline..

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 07:12   #15
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

That drives me round the twist being stuck behind two trucks inching there way past each other.
Old 8th January 2014, 07:48   #16
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

You wouldn't mind if the great Co2 hadn't already been exposed as a con, but of course we still stick rigidly to everything thrown at us!

I can guarantee that the stretch will be either monitored by average speed or Gatso camera's and is nothing whatsoever to do with pollution!

But it's ok, as the Electorate in this Country simply accept anything that is done to them by the Government!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 14:41   #17
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
You wouldn't mind if the great Co2 hadn't already been exposed as a con, but of course we still stick rigidly to everything thrown at us!

I can guarantee that the stretch will be either monitored by average speed or Gatso camera's and is nothing whatsoever to do with pollution!

But it's ok, as the Electorate in this Country simply accept anything that is done to them by the Government!
Agreed, and the motorist pays £50 billion a year in motoring taxes, for most of it to be squandered on this sort of nonsense, speed humps, cycle lanes, subsidising public transport, etc. It is little wonder that our road infrastructure is fast approaching that of a third world country.

Up until the 1960s, there was no national speed limit and AC Cobras were being road tested up the M1 at 180mph, which led to the experimental (now permanent), 70 mph limit. We did have a 50 mph limit during the 1970s fuel crises, but recently, politicians were suggesting raising the limit to 80 mph on motorways. Confused? You bet.

We have too many self centered groups advising our gullible politicians. Only this week we are told that farmers have been stopped by the Environment Agency, from clearing ditches and rivers, because it disturbs the 'wild life'. It doesn't matter about the 'human' misery caused by the flooding then! Give me strength.

Sorry for the rant, but we just seem to sit back and take it in Britain.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 14:55   #18
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post
Agreed, and the motorist pays £50 billion a year in motoring taxes, for most of it to be squandered on this sort of nonsense, speed humps, cycle lanes, subsidising public transport, etc. It is little wonder that our road infrastructure is fast approaching that of a third world country.

Up until the 1960s, there was no national speed limit and AC Cobras were being road tested up the M1 at 180mph, which led to the experimental (now permanent), 70 mph limit. We did have a 50 mph limit during the 1970s fuel crises, but recently, politicians were suggesting raising the limit to 80 mph on motorways. Confused? You bet.

We have too many self centered groups advising our gullible politicians. Only this week we are told that farmers have been stopped by the Environment Agency, from clearing ditches and rivers, because it disturbs the 'wild life'. It doesn't matter about the 'human' misery caused by the flooding then! Give me strength.

Roverite.
Can only agree!

The Electorate really need to give the LibLabCon a good kick up the backside in both the Euro's this Year and the General next year, sadly, I won't hold my breath!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 20:07   #19
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

What they really want is to get us to the stage where we will have a man/women walking in front with a red flag, and living in caves again.
Old 8th January 2014, 20:12   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post

Roverite.
Could this be the time when all motoring clubs joined forces and had a nice weekend out down that dump called London, and drove round nice and slow to bring the traffic to a halt, then get the flags out in protestation of all things anti car..................
.................................................. .................................................. ......................
...........................................No. Thought not. that is why we are shat on from a great hight.