Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd July 2016, 18:37   #11
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Plenty of folk like this. I just bought a 2008 petrol Zafira with a great spec for less than half book price. The car was tidy enough with the odd cosmetic flaw but the worse was its under powered with a bit of 'kangaroo' on the over run. Hesitation and slight misfire. I asked about servicing...... Showed me the service book last stamped 60k previously just before he bought it.... Now, I'm not one for a garage service history but he hadn't done anything to the car since!!!

Anyway, it was very very cheap as he thought it was terminal. I bought it. A thorough service and injector cleaner and the car is running sweet as a nut. Very quiet and smooth. Cleaned up beautifully once the spilt curry was removed.

Some people literally just run them with the annual mot the only time it sees a garage.

This bloke replaced what he had with exactly the same car in the same colour a couple of years newer from a main dealer. More money than sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 21:09   #12
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney bear View Post
To be slightly fair to her she is 81yrs old
Well Tony, I think we can let her off then
At least she tries to check the oil level which, for her years, is great

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 09:13   #13
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

I got in my mums car a while back and noticed the oil light was on.

When I pointed it out she said "Its ok, its only yellow, it hasn't gone red yet"

I give up
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 09:26   #14
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

My recently purchased P6B had absolutely no oil in the dash pots of the carbs, the oil level was below minimum, the ATF level was low, and there was no sign of any maintenance having taken place in the previous custodians' ownership periods. Additionally, the tyres were shockingly cracked.

However, after a very thorough service, which included two oil changes, four new tyres, and a lot of tinkering (making sure the choke actually moved was a good start), the car now drives and runs beautifully. I'm delighted with it.

However, it just shows the perils of cars which have been owned by people who know nothing about them. With classics, in particular, you cannot run one without being hands-on unless you have deep pockets. I wish people would concentrate on basic maintenance, waxoyling, etc., rather than incessantly buying more chrome bits, or layers of paint.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 09:56   #15
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleTC View Post
My recently purchased P6B had absolutely no oil in the dash pots of the carbs, the oil level was below minimum, the ATF level was low, and there was no sign of any maintenance having taken place in the previous custodians' ownership periods. Additionally, the tyres were shockingly cracked.

However, after a very thorough service, which included two oil changes, four new tyres, and a lot of tinkering (making sure the choke actually moved was a good start), the car now drives and runs beautifully. I'm delighted with it.

However, it just shows the perils of cars which have been owned by people who know nothing about them. With classics, in particular, you cannot run one without being hands-on unless you have deep pockets. I wish people would concentrate on basic maintenance, waxoyling, etc., rather than incessantly buying more chrome bits, or layers of paint.
Or - as in the case of one of my sons friends - who bought a stereo for the car whilst it desperately needed a service and new brake pads
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 15:57   #16
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

My daughter in law, several years ago now, checked the water level in her punto and set off to Manchester. Got back to Bradford and dropped into mine on the way home. Car wouldn't start when she was leaving so I was asked to look into it.
It transpired that she had topped up the water through the oil cap, filling it to the brim. How the hell it got to Manchester and back beggars belief. Talk about emulsion under the oil cap.

Unbelievably after several flushes rocker box off and cleaned and head re torqued it gave another 4 years of trouble free running before she traded it for another one when the sump rusted through.

Asked her if she didn't notice lots of smoke and steam comming out of it on the motorway and she said it was raining heavy and lots of spray going and dark comming back so no.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 16:08   #17
Weso

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

I guess that is why a annual MOT is important for some owners and there cars. Likewise at least a annual service
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 16:43   #18
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

You speak of these things like it's woman's work. 'Tis a man's job. You want us to do the dishes and iron your shirts. So it's only fair yooz put the bins out and check the dipstick.
Old 4th July 2016, 20:16   #19
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
You speak of these things like it's woman's work. 'Tis a man's job. You want us to do the dishes and iron your shirts. So it's only fair yooz put the bins out and check the dipstick.
I'm forever checking my dipstick
Old 5th July 2016, 09:59   #20
neilb740

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
I will have you know that when my wife gets home (she finishes work latter than I do) dinner is always on the table.

And as a man who has in the past maintained a house with 2 teenage daughters in it, I can assure you I'm no stranger to any household tasks.

For me, car maintenance is classed as leisure time.
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote