Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2017, 17:19   #6511
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Cleaned my plenum's today

Decided to do it the hard way and take all the scuttle shield (is that what it's called?) off which wasn't so easy as the wipers took some shifting. Now it's off I want to get it back to black rather than the faded 50 shades of grey at the moment. Amazingly wiping it with plenty of white spirit did a pretty good job but I suspect it will be back to grey in the morning.

Main plenum chamber had about 1cm of water in it and the pollen filter was minging. I used a sink cleaning tool bought from Homebase to clear the muck holding the water in. Worked perfectly - it's a long flexible stainless rod with a sort of double-tooth at the business end to knock away the crud.

Being tight I then gave the filter a good hosing to clear the muck - if it's good enough for my Dyson it's good enough for my MG. Then rain stopped play so will sort out adding a spyhole tomorrow and get everything back into place after a good clean and a splash of WD40 on the wiper hinges.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 20:16   #6512
humptynumpty
Retired

Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post

Decided to do it the hard way and take all the scuttle shield (is that what it's called?) off which wasn't so easy as the wipers took some shifting. Now it's off I want to get it back to black rather than the faded 50 shades of grey at the moment. Amazingly wiping it with plenty of white spirit did a pretty good job but I suspect it will be back to grey in the morning.

Main plenum chamber had about 1cm of water in it and the pollen filter was minging. I used a sink cleaning tool bought from Homebase to clear the muck holding the water in. Worked perfectly - it's a long flexible stainless rod with a sort of double-tooth at the business end to knock away the crud.

Being tight I then gave the filter a good hosing to clear the muck - if it's good enough for my Dyson it's good enough for my MG. Then rain stopped play so will sort out adding a spyhole tomorrow and get everything back into place after a good clean and a splash of WD40 on the wiper hinges.

try rubbing oil onto the black parts keeps it black longer
humptynumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 20:37   #6513
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I use Autoglym bumper polish to keep various things black. Like the plates on the doors at the rear of the side window
Old 5th March 2017, 22:02   #6514
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Changed the silver colour coded skullcap mirrors to bullets.
Shiney....😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 22:44   #6515
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

I never clean my cars, but as it was to be used to take friends out for a meal I decided to do something about it. Loose carpets out - would these be genuine standard fittings in a Connie? - brush out all the floor area, recover a couple of coins, and wipe the seats. Remove the protective ply sheets in the load area and brush this out too and put the seat up.

Somewhat annoyed to notice I had not put back and presumably lost the bung for the front attachment eye - I had been towing a Triumph Stag engine on a trolley out from longterm storage.

Next job will be to fit the replacement front drop link which Rimmers supplied after theirs broke; but having been running about for months with it missing and with no apparent differnece in handling I wonder is a front roll bar actually necessary? Why not remove it entirely?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 07:43   #6516
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:

How on Earth are you going to dry that filter
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 09:24   #6517
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Decided to do it the hard way and take all the scuttle shield (is that what it's called?) off which wasn't so easy as the wipers took some shifting. Now it's off I want to get it back to black rather than the faded 50 shades of grey at the moment. Amazingly wiping it with plenty of white spirit did a pretty good job but I suspect it will be back to grey in the morning

I am sure you are not that tight so get your self off to an Aldi and follow the link below

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=253922

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 11:35   #6518
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Default PRT Replacement

stripped down the front end as the pipe between the 'T' piece and turbo was split (over-tightened jubilee) so as it is all removed a brand new PRT hose set has been ordered.

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 17:01   #6519
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Ref washing out my pollen filter....it dried fine overnight sat on a double-rad. A couple more bangs and shakes rattled out the last of the debris and it was soon back in place.

Ref Artic's suggestion I spray my scuttle cover (and thanks for the link), I was worried that the paint would eventually flake as adhesion to plastic isn't always great. So instead, after cleaning with white spirit ( don't have any carb cleaner), I used a dab or two on Bono black (about £7.50 from ebay). A little goes a long way and the end result is as black as the rear side (i.e. with a hint of blue-grey). Pictured this morning in bright sunlight, half done so hopefully you can see the result. Actually looks better in the flesh than my phone camera shows. But i did spray the wiper blanking caps and the clips as they were very faded in places & needed that extra bit of black !

I also completed the spyhole but used a smaller hole than in the how-to and fitted a grommet with a small hole big enough to let my drain cleaning rod through. Takes a couple of goes to get it to go straight-down the plenum but otherwise does what it's supposed to.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 19:29   #6520
Yorksroverfan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Today's job. Kv6 thermostat change

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yorksroverfan is offline   Reply With Quote