Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th August 2018, 12:52   #31
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Image 11 also shows the poor state of some of the EGR vacuum pipe too.

If it is still live then worth changing before it starts leaking.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 13:01   #32
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Image 11 also shows the poor state of some of the EGR vacuum pipe too.

If it is still live then worth changing before it starts leaking.
HI Mike
I totally agree I ear marked this for Ian on the first set of photo's I posted up for him photo 3 in link below, I have seen this lots of time at the nano meets, I now carry 30mtrs of the vacuum hose with me to the meets.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...2&postcount=22

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2018, 15:12   #33
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Hi Arctic thanks for putting up my photos.
here are my notes thoughts and experience of changing my Automatic Starter Solenoid.
If you want to use my photos or any of my text please feel free. You can edit it, even completely rewrite it in your own Doctors way even insert any of it in your own how to guide.(which I used to get this job done, thankyou)
You have a much greater following and are immeasurable more capable than me, and therefore obviously will be able to ultimately help more members.
Anyway here goes Thankyou Paul (crazy frog)
P.S I will get the vacuum hoses replaced, and join "Imgur" .

I used some good torches, and a bendy telescopic helps.

The rubber concertinaed wiring loom. I used a couple of long screwdriver/bars to lever up and push away towards the bulkhead and wedged them under some piping so I could then see the back of the earth strap L connector. No Force needed it just freed up my hands to look, find feel and guide a 13 mm short socket and extension bar by feel because you cant see the bolt head.

You can just about see the socket connect to the bolt ,but you cant see the incorrect angle of your extension bar which I connected by feel, and then the "dreaded slip" and edges off the bolt head.
So without the ratchet attached I banged the end of the extension bar with another heavy bar 100 little taps because lack of space for a good thump. Bit by bit I could see the socket closing on the scuffed bolt head. At least this mishap gave me a properly seated socket and extension bar angle, which I then braced by hand and connected the ratchet with an old box spanner for extra leverage. Bingo SNAP! loosened a few turns then took the ratchet off and did the remaining 90% on the extension bar by hand before I got the ratchet jammed in because of lack of space maintaining the proper angle. the picture shows the total length of socket ,bar and ratchet as 7 1/2 inches . I initially used a longer one but after the socket slipping on the bolt ,I realised it wasn't at the correct angle square on.

I used penetrating oil the day before, and on the day.
I removed the expansion tank one 8mm bolt. I didn't remove the EGR because on the Automatic you cant get to the bolt from the front, and it wouldn't even give a better view.

My heart missed a beat when I saw the size difference about 4mm (not the wear) of one of the new solenoid contacts see picture and measure . But I proceeded and every thing went ok.

One of the solenoid bolts had a toothed skirt which bites and locks into the worn contact and needed to be pried apart by a small flat screwdriver. (Forgot to take a photo.)
With over tightened Mole grips as pincers (squasher) I Squashed the new contact and bolt together, I didn't want to rely on over tightening the nut and bolt to pull it together.
I looked at the Bendix and flywheel ring gear they looked ok .( to me anyway).
Putting back was much easier, I guess it took me 4 hours including frustration curiosity photos and OCD with detail and checking. Now I know how to!. I think I could do it again in half the time.

Thanks to everyone especially Arctic and his how to guide. Paul.
Old 27th August 2018, 17:14   #34
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Here is the offending item. Just started using Imgur , not yet got used to it this is my first attempt.
Paul

Sorry pictures are to big, but can be dragged into view. will look into it as I become more familiar.

Last edited by crazy frog; 27th August 2018 at 17:22..
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 21:55   #35
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post

Quote:
Here is the offending item. Just started using Imgur , not yet got used to it this is my first attempt.
Paul

Sorry pictures are to big, but can be dragged into view. will look into it as I become more familiar.
Hi Paul.
You will soon get the hand of using Imgur you can pick what size you like small medium large or extra large first two are nice and clear enjoy

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2018, 22:36   #36
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Just practicing uploading photos, this time resizing with Microsoft paint and uploading to my gallery directly.

well more practice needed these two pictures were uploaded as 800 x 600 yet come out small.?

Last edited by crazy frog; 27th August 2018 at 22:45..
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote