Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2018, 21:59   #1
mmmgroveeer
Avid contributor

Default Karate Kick?? Powerfold Mirror Destroyed

Hi everyone,
Late last night heard group of Lads walking along road and sounded like they had had a good evening out.
They were going past house and I heard a noise, but when looked out of window they had gone and nothing looked amiss.
This morning come out to find drivers side power fold mirror broken off and hanging.
Sorry if wrong place to post, but just wondering if anyone may have a spare one for a facelift model at a reasonable price?
Pretty disappointed, but luckily no paint damage to the door thank goodness.
Thanks.
mmmgroveeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 22:10   #2
Davethepaint
Regular poster

Rover 75 club cdt se

Default Mirror destroyed.

Think must guys on here have been out and been a bit worst for ware but a cannot understand how anybody would get any enjoyment out of destroying someone else's property.
Davethepaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 22:15   #3
mmmgroveeer
Avid contributor

Yep a bit mindless really.
Thing is when a group of lads out guess silly things are done.
Old 30th August 2018, 08:52   #4
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Theres no justification for this act of mindless damage to your car . If the culprits were caught they couldnt be be-headed which is a real shame but what about a vicious chinese burn on the nob !

Last edited by Outlaw 41; 30th August 2018 at 09:05..
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 16:53   #5
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Same happened to my Rover 25 a few months ago. The offside door mirror was kicked forward flat against the door leaving the mirror glass broken and hanging loose by its heater mat connecting wires. It looked like a new heated mirror glass would suffice and they were available in two options, the more expensive option with the glass fitted in a new backplate and the cheaper option for just the glass to use with your existing backplate. I went for the cheaper option and ordered a new generic heated mirror glass but contrary to the advert it was not plug and play. The terminals for the heater mat were of a different size and orientation and the glass was not a good fit in the old backplate, plus the resistance of the heater mat was too different for my liking. In essence it is a cheap generic reproduction of the oem item and the quality is in no way comparable. So use it I haven't. Lol.

It seemed that a relatively simple and suitable fix might not be possible after all without a bit if not a lot of trial and error plus there was no guarantee that further and unforeseen damage had not been sustained by the main body of the door mirror or its internals. My confidence was waining and it had become increasingly apparent just how much I used and relied on the driver's door mirror and having to peer into a cracked and taped up affair in the Siberian weather which hit at the time was neither comfortable or suitably safe for my liking.

So I decided it would be prudent to obtain a complete assembly that was ready to bolt onto the door and I made bids on a couple of ebay auctions in the hope that I might win one of them. In the event I won both.

However while waiting for the auctions to complete another option occurred to me which I eventually went with and it seems to be working ok. I noticed that some of the generic unheated mirror glass only offers were advertised as suitable for sticking to a broken mirror be it heated or not. This suggested to me that the heat from my tested and still working oem heater mat would not only penetrate through its broken mirror glass but also the sticky foam backing of a new generic item. I decided to go one better and I carefully removed the broken mirror glass from my existing oem heater mat before sticking the mat to a cheap as chips unheated mirror glass which I also bought on ebay. In effect I've converted a unheated generic mirror glass to a heated one using my salvaged oem heater mat and it seems to be working ok.

I've posted this for the ideas and options it might give some members and I understand that they might not be suitable for some situations such as where damage goes beyond a broken mirror glass only. I've attached some pics below to give you some idea of what I had to contend with. The last but one shows the difference between the terminal arrangement between the first generic heated mirror glass that I bought and have not used and original oem item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 048.jpg (22.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 039.jpg (20.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 056.jpg (17.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg r25 mirror edit1.jpg (32.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by WillyHeckaslike; 31st August 2018 at 00:25.. Reason: Edited for clarity.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 17:59   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

if you get a replacement I'd like to take a look at your old one so please don't throw it but chuck it my way.
Are the mirror casings the same? Do they come out of the same mould but just get assembled with different parts?

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 21:29   #7
mmmgroveeer
Avid contributor

Have taken the smashed..destroyed Power fold off and fitted an Electric one for the mo.
Just wondering if anyone would have a reasonable priced Power fold available?
Thanks.