Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2020, 06:28   #11
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I can see the days of cheap flights to be at an end too, The powers that be say there will be "Green strings" attached to any airline bailouts wherein aviation fuel will have a green tax on it & airlines will have to invest in newer fuel efficient aircraft.
https://www.transportenvironment.org...-technology-te

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 07:43   #12
mbev51
Banned

Removed

It’s hard to guess, whether flights will be cheap or expensive. In the short term they could well be expensive, then with increased competition they could well get cheap again. Two weeks ago I flew back from a NZ, the flights were three times normal cost. I’m hoping to go away again, next winter as we always do, perhaps back to India and taking in Bangladesh. I know there will be a risk, but with 70 looming up on the horizon, we need to go for it. It’s fantastic being an old backpacker!
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 08:14   #13
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Michael O'leary has been on the TV this morning saying he thinks people will be flying in a couple of months to get some sun.

I think he is being very optimistic as I think a lot of people will be worried about sitting in a "aluminium tube" for several hours. Can you imagine it, the person 2 rows up from you starts coughing 15 mins into the flight?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 08:49   #14
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

"It is difficult to predict anything, especially the future." Niels Bohr.

One thing is for certain. The economy has been ruined. Once one sits down and does the costing, it will have been a very very costly exercise.
And the benefits are not even going to be measurable, over a year, is my guess, ito lives saved. Yes more people have died than usual, but it has happened faster and mainly hit people that would have, in any case, died in the near future. It might sound crass, but that is what has happened. So this lockdown has smashed the economy, and that with well intentioned aim!
The people behind this are the same people that would have torn the economy to shreds in the name of climate.

This has been, is, and will be the biggest attempt of usurping power by the climate crowd. It has been totally undemocratic, and has shown us the ugly side of modern societies with force, lack of liberty and micro managed control. Not to speak of indecent haste, bungled laws and regulations and a total loss of personal freedom, increased censorship, a lack of trust between state and citizen. Gone are the days of advice and suggestions. In are now maximum fear, scare mongering, commands and oppression. All backed by a totally controlled media and a lack of questions, accountability and oversight.
If we have learned anything from the past, then it is perhaps that the more the state interferes, the worse it gets, generally. This is not going to be any exception.
It is getting to the stage where people are now so brainwashed that a large part of the population will consider getting a "vaccine" a "health passport" and expect "approvals" to travel, work and exist! I did not sign up for this! did you?
What on earth has this world become?
I resent any force that tells me who is "essential" who can work and who cannot. I am pass the stage where I need anyone to tell me whether or not I can drink a beer and smoke a pipe of tobacco! And I will resist any attempt to force tracking, vaccination and control.

They can take it and stick it wherever it can fit.

And for anyone interested in the score, here you find it, well over the worst!

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-m...cess-mortality

And on this glorious day here, it is maybe apt to think a bit about Marx and Engels. They got his thing about capitalism largely right, and we are moving toward a dystopian world of "dictatorship of the proletariat".

Or - how sheep can be controlled and directed and do it largely by themselves!
Mao, PolPot, Stalin must be wondering how come THEY could not get it right.!
Old 1st May 2020, 09:12   #15
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Michael O'Leary cleverly sowed the seed that with " a return to flying for holidays in the next three or four months", several of their customers will opt for vouchers instead of cash for cancellations.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 09:20   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
"It is difficult to predict anything, especially the future." Niels Bohr.

One thing is for certain. The economy has been ruined. Once one sits down and does the costing, it will have been a very very costly exercise.
And the benefits are not even going to be measurable, over a year, is my guess, ito lives saved. Yes more people have died than usual, but it has happened faster and mainly hit people that would have, in any case, died in the near future. It might sound crass, but that is what has happened. So this lockdown has smashed the economy, and that with well intentioned aim!
The people behind this are the same people that would have torn the economy to shreds in the name of climate.

This has been, is, and will be the biggest attempt of usurping power by the climate crowd. It has been totally undemocratic, and has shown us the ugly side of modern societies with force, lack of liberty and micro managed control. Not to speak of indecent haste, bungled laws and regulations and a total loss of personal freedom, increased censorship, a lack of trust between state and citizen. Gone are the days of advice and suggestions. In are now maximum fear, scare mongering, commands and oppression. All backed by a totally controlled media and a lack of questions, accountability and oversight.
If we have learned anything from the past, then it is perhaps that the more the state interferes, the worse it gets, generally. This is not going to be any exception.
It is getting to the stage where people are now so brainwashed that a large part of the population will consider getting a "vaccine" a "health passport" and expect "approvals" to travel, work and exist! I did not sign up for this! did you?
What on earth has this world become?
I resent any force that tells me who is "essential" who can work and who cannot. I am pass the stage where I need anyone to tell me whether or not I can drink a beer and smoke a pipe of tobacco! And I will resist any attempt to force tracking, vaccination and control.

They can take it and stick it wherever it can fit.

And for anyone interested in the score, here you find it, well over the worst!

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-m...cess-mortality

And on this glorious day here, it is maybe apt to think a bit about Marx and Engels. They got his thing about capitalism largely right, and we are moving toward a dystopian world of "dictatorship of the proletariat".

Or - how sheep can be controlled and directed and do it largely by themselves!
Mao, PolPot, Stalin must be wondering how come THEY could not get it right.!
Any chance you could tell me, if it were not for lock down how many people would have died and what would the cost have been for all the deaths?
Can you produce evidence to pin this on the climate crowd?
oh, resist a vaccine what a wonderful idea. How would that help the population?
Micro managed control, really?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 09:25   #17
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

How are you Mr K, coping without any alcohol during lockdown? I gather the sale of alcohol has been banned in South Africa.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52358268

The family in the Cape are fortunate to have a wine farm with ample stocks. Its a shame we had to cancel our planned trip to South Africa this month due to the restrictions preventing us from leaving Kenya and I had some car parts to send up to you in JHB. We have rebooked for end of September.

Once the airport opens in Nairobi, anyone arriving here will be forced into a government quarantine facility for up to 21 days at their own cost. The lockdown and closure to the tourist industry has had a detrimental effect to the economy and tourism in Kenya, no surprise there. I guess its the same for South Africa? Last weekend, the U.S Embassy evacuated all U.S citizens back to the USA from Kenya and I know from reading updates from the UK governent I receive, 3000 Germans were evacuated from Cape Town last week on special flights back to Germany.

In March, I flew back from London to Nairobi on Ethiopian Airlines via Addis. A positive experience, the food was great. All of the air crew were wearing PPE and every passenger had a row of seats to themselves, a large plane, an A350. Most of the passengers were wearing masks and I was not allowed to travel from London unless I had an up to date Yellow Fever Certificate. I had mine done in 2016. Its no big deal to have a vaccine Hopefully a vaccine will be found which works for everyone, young or elderly, will be free or affordable so that the cost does not exclude those in poverty anywhere in the world.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 1st May 2020 at 09:29..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 12:05   #18
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I know pensions are already taking a big hit, a friend was telling me his pension pot has dropped by at least a quarter already and this is not over yet.
Interestingly, I can view some of my pension pot value on line, those that I can view did drop some 20% but have since recovered around 18.5%.

I have retired but am still 2yr away from official retirement age so although I could drawdown on them now I have no plans to do so just yet

The cash is only truly lost if you cash in at a low.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 12:22   #19
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Interestingly, I can view some of my pension pot value on line, those that I can view did drop some 20% but have since recovered around 18.5%.

I have retired but am still 2yr away from official retirement age so although I could drawdown on them now I have no plans to do so just yet

I think pensions and investments took a big hit yesterday with Shell's news that this is the first time they wont be paying dividends. This apparently has never happened before and a lot of pension and investments use Shell because it has always been a sure thing.

Nobody knows for sure what will happen, I was listening yesterday to one so called ''expert'' saying he reckons the world will go mad once things start clearing up because we have all been locked down. I cant see it, most of us will be cautious incase this happens again.

Lock down is not great what ever you do but it is far better than one of the other options. Even if you don't have to go to hospital if you get it the symptoms some people are having are terrible and not over in a few days. One of my wifes friends is still not well after several weeks, she cant even climb the stairs and is sleeping on the sofa.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2020, 12:55   #20
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Interestingly, I can view s.................................

Well, I wish that was true, but of course it is not.
There are many ways you can lose your pension.
But I will give you a few:
a: There can be a hair-cut to pay for the lunacy, and the "rebuilding" that will have to take place. That has been seen before and would be dead easy to do, say 10 or 20% in any account of any amount. And don't think for a moment they won't dare. They will, and the pathetic response of the people will only have encouraged them, if anything. To make you feel better, they will call it "solidarity" something.
b. Then they can let you have all the cash your investment contains, but it does not necessarily mean you will get anything for it! Inflation can hollow out the buying power to such an extent that nothing worthwhile can be bought! At the height of inflation, prices have in the worst cases doubled in 15 hours! Do the math!.
c. The stock market is about to tank. It is difficult to say when and where. But if you look at the previous great depression, it fell close to 90 %, and took 50 years to recover. I am not saying this is going to happen, but it shows you the scope and the "opportunities"! You will be able to follow your "investment" live on TV. It will be feeling like those skiers that start WAAAY up, and whooosh!!!! Bump- and it's gone!

I am sorry to scare you, and I of course! don't know what exactly will be in store, but I promise you that something certainly will come down the pike. And if you trust people not to harm you, you are not being imaginative enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DT7bX-B1Mg

and if you, or anyone else should ask "My GOD, can't you think for yourself?" , then the question is obviously. NO!