Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st December 2022, 21:53   #1
mgb66
Regular poster

MG-ZTT

Default Front and rear wipers on when ignition is off

This issue has been discussed previously but some of the threads are inconclusive and I wondered if anyone has any firm ideas I can follow through.
This morning both front and rear wipers on my 190 ZT-T were on and may have been for some hours. When I unlocked the car, there was what I thought might be an alarm symbol on the trip display and the red light to the left of the Total Distance and Trip recorder that normally indicates the alarm/immobiliser is active was flashing very rapidly .
I then started the car and the wipers stopped.
On switching the engine off the flashing LED(?) went out, but the wipers resumed, and only by rotating the rear wiper to the second position on the stalk and holding it there would both sets of wipers stop and go to their rest position.
After removing the engine fusebox relays R1 and R3 and the relevant 30A fuse the windscreen wipers stopped but the rear wiper continued.
I replaced these relays and the fuse and then took out the 5A F17 fuse from the passenger footwell fuse array. This stopped both sets of wipers.
Reading other threads on this topic I then checked the plenum chamber which was dry and checked the connections to the front wiper motor.
I have now rigged up a fused switch to F17 so I can at least turn off the wipers when the car is parked. When the car is running the wipers work normally.
Coincidentally I am unable to now lock the car using the fob and I've noticed the alarm signal that warns you that the lights have been left on is not working. However I am able to unlock the car using the fob.
I wondered if anybody kindly has any suggestions given my outline of the situation above.
Thanks.

Last edited by mgb66; 23rd December 2022 at 11:08..
mgb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 10:16   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Did you solve this, if you have, what was the problem?

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 11:42   #3
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes Peter did sort this out it had a water ingress fault that upset it
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote