Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th June 2012, 08:19   #21
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltash View Post
Hi - thats definitely the part but I think Windrush's may be different because the lock is definitely part of the swan neck. On the photo you posted on one side there's a small black bump sticking out and on the other a strange mechanism with a rectangular cover thats loose and attached by a strap. The black bump is the cover for the lock. the strange mechanism is the lock itself - I've attached some photos - covers off and covers on to make it clearer. The cylinder definitely has the key number stamped on it - so find the maker and you'll hopefully find a key if the seller hasn't got one..

Hope it helps - anything else I can do .. (apart from give you mine ) let me know!

Oh - don't worry about the strange thing clamped to my swan neck - its part of the stabiliser for the caravan!

Attachment 14758

Attachment 14759

Attachment 14760

Attachment 14761
Wes you are right Chris I do seem to have a different type of swan neck to those shown in your pictures
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:59   #22
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Little update on this - I won this item on eBay. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.

Now got to work out how to get the thing from Rochdale - I thought the £20 p&p was a little steep!!
Old 24th June 2012, 07:26   #23
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR75 View Post
Little update on this - I won this item on eBay. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice.

Now got to work out how to get the thing from Rochdale - I thought the £20 p&p was a little steep!!
Excellent news!

On the postage front, just bear in mind that these are quite heavy and postage rates have just gone up!

As it's saved you having to remove the old tow bar and then buy and re-fit a new one, you could always view it as a £40 item with free postage!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 21:48   #24
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Hi Chaps,

Received tow bar yesterday and briefly tried to fit in the rain although as previously mentioned it's a fiddly little b*gger!

Although the seller did mention there was no key (when in fact there is), he forgot to mention that part of a previous key had snapped off in the lock.

For a further update on this, please see here...

Clicky Here!
Old 15th July 2012, 07:37   #25
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

A lock smith, as said, should be able to extract the key and with a little luck make you a couple of new ones. You´ve got the best tow bar there was. With the swan neck off you can´t see that there is anything there. The bracket always shows somewhat on all the others. Why it´s such a fiddle to get on is because the bracket has corroded. Tow bars always get neglected, never any type of service but are expected to work without problems. If I was you I would get the bracket off, have is shot blasted and then galvanised. With a bit of grease the swan neck would then come on and off in a jiffy. I wouldn´t leave it perminantly on the car. Reson being that with time it will all rust up and as the rust expands the swan neck can end up just on the lip of the locking mechanism. With further time the neck will be held tight in the bracket only by the rust. One day when towing the rust will give and the neck will come off. This has happened on several occasions.

The MOT here in Sweden includes a check of tow bar if fitted. If it is a solid bar then they look for cracks etc in the bracket, make sure the bolts are okay that hold the neck onto the bracket. These have come away and caused accidents (bad maintainance). If there is a detachable neck then you have to demonstrate that the neck comes off and goes on as it should, that the locking mechanism is what is holding the neck in place. If you can´t demonstrate this it´s an MOT fail.

Just some general info on tow bars. Once when working on the A&E here (surgical registrar) we had to deal with a multiple pile up on the E4 motorway which runs just outside of town. A lorry, 2 cars and a car with a caravan. The accident was caused buy the detachable towbar coming away and the van carrering all over the road......
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 08:20   #26
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

The tow-bar and its electrics have just been included in this years UK MOT test. Oddly the test of the electrics is only included if it is a 15pin socket, for some reason they do not test the 7pin type.

Your mention of the swan neck coming out of its socket leads me on to another point....

I saw rather splendid and expensive twin axle, which had been on tow with an equally splendid and expensive 4x4. Unfortunately the trailer had become unhitched on the outskirts of Scarborough a couple of so years ago and both were wrecked. It looked as if the swan neck had come out in that case.

By law your have to have a break-away cable on the trailer to apply the trailer brakes if the trailer becomes unhitched or swan neck comes out of its socket. The break-away cable should ALWAYS be attached to a substantial part of the tow bar, never just wrapped around the ball or a swan neck - next to your failing to hook it up properly, the next most likely causes of failure are the ball breaking or the swan neck coming out of its socket.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 11:21   #27
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

The break away cable has always been a part of the MOT. No cable...MOT fail. It used to be that the cable had to be fixed to the bracket of the tow bar. Apparently the Swedes allow the cable to go around the swan neck (coming into line with the rest of the EU). That´s maybe okay if the swan neck is a permanent fixture type. Would never do that with a detachable tow bar. A van or trailer coming away from the vehicle can kill many people in one go. Think about it.....

the next most likely causes of failure are the ball breaking or the swan neck coming out of its socket.

That is why you have to demonstrate that the swan neck can be attached and taken off in the way it was intended. Not just a load of rust holding it in place untill there is a strain on it.

Last edited by Roverowner; 15th July 2012 at 11:23..
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 14:24   #28
DennisA
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Hi,

I have fitted a tow bar to both my previous and present R75 saloons the latest is the Brinks detachable type, the only comment i would make is that the key is a really fragile looking object and must is musty be easily snapped off - I've been lucky so far.

I would also say that you have to be careful and precise when fitting the swan-neck it is fiddely but must be inserted exactly as required or accidents are inevitable.

With the Al-ko type towing arrangement it is important that all the parts are fully engaged and the little green/red plunger is seen to go green and "click" into place when entering the socket on the tow ball, also keep the socket linings in good condition to make sure that the anti-snake operates and the socket is nice and snug on the ball.

A bit confused as to how the breakaway cable can be part of the car's MOT as it is on the caravan side not the car's tow bar. The cable pulls the caravan brakes on if the tow hitch comes adrift when towing so it has to be permanent to the caravan and only clips on to the car's tow bar when you are towing.

Dennis
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote