Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2017, 15:22   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Fan motor

Hello everybody a while ago a mechanic told me that the motor of my fan is not working anymore, as far as I know the brushes wear out and that's the reason, I saw some universal repairing brushes on ebay, would they do the trick for our motors? And if yes, would it be hard to replace them? And my other question is, I have a 2.0 KV6 without the resistor fitted, that means that I can only have the older type 3 speed 4 wire fan, right?
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 15:53   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
- - - I saw some universal repairing brushes on ebay, would they do the trick for our motors?
Unlikely to be reliable without knowing the specification, which is quite high for this application. It's generally recommended that you get brushes from http://www.engineeringcarbonproducts...on-brushes.php

More details: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=192903

Quote:
I have a 2.0 KV6 without the resistor fitted, that means that I can only have the older type 3 speed 4 wire fan, right?
Correct. The resistor controlled type (2-speed/2-wire) motors don't suffer this problem.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 16:14   #3
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I have a few questions which I still scratch my head to though:

1. If the speeds of my fan are not controlled by a resistor, then what are they controlled by?

2. Is it really a problem if I further drive my car without the fan working? I've been driving the car for more than a year like that and the coolant has never ever raised above 100 degrees, I think that maybe the fan starts rotating itself from inertia after 25 mph or something like that as far as I can notice.

3. Would I be able to fit a much more cheaper motor from spares that belongs to another car model? I mean first if it would work, and if it does, how do I work out the wires to connect it?
Old 9th March 2017, 17:58   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
1. If the speeds of my fan are not controlled by a resistor, then what are they controlled by?
By the motor brush arrangement. Relays control which ones are used. More brushes, faster speeds.

Quote:
2. Is it really a problem if I further drive my car without the fan working? I've been driving the car for more than a year like that and the coolant has never ever raised above 100 degrees, I think that maybe the fan starts rotating itself from inertia after 25 mph or something like that as far as I can notice.
Maybe so far there's been no problem. But it's unwise to run a V6 without adequate cooling from the fan. It's also needed for operating the aircon system.

Quote:
3. Would I be able to fit a much more cheaper motor from spares that belongs to another car model? I mean first if it would work, and if it does, how do I work out the wires to connect it?
There are alternatives that will fit directly, but few people have fitted a different system from another car. The switching mechanism is somewhat special, but anything can be done if you have to do it. Manual switches aren't unknown. The usual fix is to fit a second hand resistor type 2-speed if a re-brush doesn't work. It depends on the state of the commutator.

TC
Old 9th March 2017, 20:27   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Here are a couple of pics that might be of help.--

Attached Images
File Type: jpg R75 fan brushes..jpg (120.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg R75 fan armature..jpg (71.0 KB, 18 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 15:06   #6
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I think I can't fit a resistor because I don't have one fitted from factory, and even if I can, it won't be of any help as far as I know
Old 13th March 2017, 18:21   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
I think I can't fit a resistor because I don't have one fitted from factory, and even if I can, it won't be of any help as far as I know
Your only options for the 3-speed system is to rebrush the motor, or replace the fan system as described earlier.

TC
Old 14th March 2017, 07:52   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Galambosi,

You have received the correct advice. Fitting new brushes is a lot easier than messing about with modifications and sourcing suitable parts, and cheaper too!

But don't delay. If you continue to use the car in this condition the fan motor will eventually be beyond repair anyway. This happens when the worn down brush is drawn out of its holder together with its spring whilst the motor is running. The result is commutator damage.

Simon