Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th August 2014, 21:20   #1
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Default Getting Fibre Optic Broadband tomorrow?

Upgrading to above via BT tomorrow. Mainly as I need a genuine unlimited broadband capacity. My visiting kids at weekends and mid week ensure I breach my monthly capacity of 40GB. Every tablet and phone seems to be streaming.
We don't download much nor upload much.
Am I likely to notice much difference in everyday streaming and surfing??

Thanks

Mark
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 06:18   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Interested to see how you get on, I'm with Sky and have their top package but if my sons on his xbox it runs so slow. Downloading a movie from sky takes forever, I'm not sure I'm getting the speed I should be

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 07:21   #3
Blitzer

Rover 75 saloon Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Interested to see how you get on, I'm with Sky and have their top package but if my sons on his xbox it runs so slow. Downloading a movie from sky takes forever, I'm not sure I'm getting the speed I should be
If you go onto broadband choices website you can do a quick speed test , it will tell you your upload and download speeds within a minute , I am also just about to start a bt fibre contract as plus net are messing me about
Blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 09:46   #4
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

This is my first post after getting Fibre fitted this morning from talktalk (actually fitted by BTOpenreach).

Speeds are now 18Mbps download and 1.5Mbps up. I was getting 6M on ADSL and the 18Meg is likely to improve over the next few days.

Browsing is much the same speed (it depends on your pc system and browser) but there should be no buffering when playing videos (iplayer etc.)

There are only a few times in our household when the three of us are all on line and to be honest I've never had that much of a problem because I don't place too many demands on it.

The price of fibre is only a little more than ADSL and it is the way forward. Remember using dial-up?

Just for information, fibre optic only goes to the nearest cabinet in your area. Only in exceptional circumstances will it go to the house. Most of the speed restrictions are in the copper wire and if they are reduced then greater speeds are available.

Fibre optic is much like the CDTi 160 remap. Just do it.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:52   #5
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

All this speed thing is a load of baloney, there is some sort of conspiracy going on,

In the olden days you could surf on a dial up, but now websites are so overloaded and videos don't buffer any more but have to be downloaded as you go, even if you skip back a little bit.

The whole thing is ridiculous, you must have a landline even though most people don't want it and I must have 20 GBPS of download speed!

Downloading what, kacky movies, adverts, monitoring, people getting blown up in some desert, friendface, tweating, I must have my say on everything websites - oh dear,

I think they should pull the plug on the whole lot, When I was kid I used to go around without a mobile phone what bliss!

Sorry - rant over!
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 10:04   #6
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I can virtually see the local exchange but "they" will not be running fibre (FTTC) in our direction because the houses are too far apart for "loads of takers", in other words not profitable. So much for the pledges of high speed broadband everywhere.

Having said that over the last month with extra family in house, PC + 2 laptops + tablets all in use over the WiFi, no problems with an old copper link OOKLA checked at 5Mbs
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 10:12   #7
jaygee
Avid contributor

Jaguar XJ6 SE.3.0 x350 also a Mitsubishi Outlander 04 reg 2.4 sport 4x4 in silver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Upgrading to above via BT tomorrow. Mainly as I need a genuine unlimited broadband capacity. My visiting kids at weekends and mid week ensure I breach my monthly capacity of 40GB. Every tablet and phone seems to be streaming.

Thanks

Mark
i am on BT infinity 2 and have been for a couple of years I regularly check my download and upload speeds with speedtest.net and am getting 55mb download and 18 upload regularly.....

it all depends on wether you are downloading from a fast or slow connection ..
most time i can download a film in less than 30 mins or less .....
Old 15th August 2014, 10:25   #8
tigers1941
Loves to post

Rover75 Saloon

I am on BT Infinity1 from a few weeks ago, I have gone from getting 2.0 mbs with Sky broadband to 38.0 with BT
If you stream sport it makes a great difference, costs me more but I am delighted with the BT changeover.
tigers1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 15:50   #9
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

You should get Virgin, if you can - we get 162Mbps down and 10Mbps up most of the time
doopydug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 06:41   #10
Snagger
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 CDT CLUB SE 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post

Thanks

Mark

Here's what I use for speed testing Mark :-

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

You should see significant gains over standard line, but again this is dependent on distance to cabinet exchange etc.

Your'e connection to the exchange will take a few days to stabilise, as the equipment there monitors and adjusts to set the best throughput and speed, for a stable connection.

Just noticed your post was 5 days ago, how you getting on with it ?

Snagger.

How to remove CDT alternator from top & side :-

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=199608

Battery charge light problems on a diesel ?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3&postcount=64

Diesel charging FBH voltage supply diagram

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ght=cdt+charge

How to identify voltage regulator type diesel

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...56&postcount=3

Snagger is offline   Reply With Quote