Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd April 2012, 07:15   #1
Hurricaneplanes
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2Lt CDTI

Default 3 Speed radiator fan wiring diagram.

Hi there, Can any one please let me have a wiring diagram for a three speed radiator fan showing clearly the colours of the wires and also identify which part of the circuit controls the slow, middle and fast speeds. The reason for this is that the mechanic who replaced my fan with another 3 speed fan disconnected all wires from the control box including the wires from the multipin connector. I want to find out whether the cause of failure was the fan or the control box and hopefully get this unit up and running as a spare for the future.
Thanking you in advance for your help.
Hurricaneplanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 08:14   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

James,

That's quite a question because the circuit is quite complex and the MG Rover version includes an error. I would say though that it's 99% certain that your previous 3 speed fan failed due to excessive wear of one or two of the motor brushes. The best course of action is to remove the motor end plate and have a look. There are plenty of threads to help you with this.

Simon.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:24   #3
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

You dont specify if your car is petrol or diesel, the control boxes are different for each. However I believe the motor is the same for either.

If your car is petrol then the following may help. It seems the reason for 3 speed fan failure is often worn brushes, so if the motor isnt too badly worn you could try the following:

Remove the motor end plate and remove the mounting plate for the brushes, it looks like this...

Most likely the low speed brushes will be worn out. If you have the power wires on your left the low speed brushes are the 2 on the right. You can buy replacements from Ebay £10 for a pack of 2. My own high speed brushes (the 2 on the left) were hardly worn so I left mine.

It is fairly easy to solder in the new brushes. Then using a WD40 cap to hold all 4 brushes fully retracted refit the mounting plate into the motor and replace the end cap.

If your car is petrol then try the motor directly fed from the battery into the control box using the following wiring diagram:

If your car is petrol and you wish to test the relays in the control box, then supply power to the connecting plugs as shown here...

...direct from the battery using the following wiring scheme:

This will cause the fan to run at full speed, and because all 3 relays are used to achieve this it will confirm that they are working. Only do this for a few seconds as the power consumption is considerable.

If your car is diesel or the wires are a different colour do not use the above diagrams!

Last edited by lovema75; 23rd April 2012 at 11:30..
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:13   #4
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

see the diagram for the 4 wires that should be the same for the diesel can any one confirm that the abouve picture is right as the diagram i have from here is saying the purple is to go to positive for the high speed
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:53   #5
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Looking at that diagram Craig, I would have said that the purple needs to go to positive to bring in the 3rd relay but I'm sure somebody with a 3 speed fan can confirm this
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:57   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

The purple is indeed a second neg, the rover guidelines on this are incorrect. Remember the diesel is a different setup from the second "diagram" this as apparent as the relay box incorporates a PCB

The test for the bare motor are however the same as shown in "diagram 1"

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 23rd April 2012 at 13:00..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:59   #7
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

what would it be with out the relay box i have a 3speed and want to test it i have the relay box on but would prefer to test both ways
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:02   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8661 View Post
what would it be with out the relay box i have a 3speed and want to test it i have the relay box on but would prefer to test both ways
without the relax box, the testing for the three speed fan motor only petrol or diesel is as per the first diagram

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:02   #9
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

3 speeds diesel schematic:

Ventschema.jpg

Mike

Last edited by Dragrad; 17th June 2014 at 21:48..
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:04   #10
Hurricaneplanes
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2Lt CDTI

Default Testing a 3 speed fan

Hello again, I am sorry that I did not state that the engine is the 2lt diesel dated 2001.I wrongly assumes that in the interests of economical car production that the same coloured wires to the fan would be the same for all 3 speed fans. Sorry if I have mislead people. So now the question I should have asked is for a wiring diagram, including wire colours for a 3 speed fan for a 2 lt diesel engine and indicate the correct wiring for slow, medium and fast speed. So please can anyone help?
Many thanks in advance.
Hurricaneplanes is offline   Reply With Quote