Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2007, 19:29   #1
Martin75
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDti Auto Saloon 2004

Default Fuel economy set up 'Synergy' box

I have recently had a Ron Synergy STM2D with dash switch fitted for me last Friday (16th). I'm not too technically minded and eventually worked out I'd been driving around all week on setting 1 (red LED on) and the workshop had set the box to 1 too! I think this was the first ‘Ron’ example they’d seen?

After 300 miles as above, the rear valance was considerably blackened, as you can imagine and fuel consumption poor!

The box is now reset to 4, (green LED on). I put RED-Ex diesel treatment in the tank and have since covered 121 miles at about 60mph average on the M11. I notice upon auto kick-down now, a cloud of whitish smoke is emmitted and again the valance is dirty, but not so bad as before.

Ron thought that as the car had only covered 24k miles I could leave the MAF alone.

I bought the Synergy for economy and so far that factor has not I feel had a chance to be established as my normal 42mpg only returned when the box was turned off.

What setting do you find best, and how do I turn the MAF off as it may help I understand?

Any experiences and suggestions very welcome.
Martin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 21:09   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I sugested to Martin that he switched off the mafam Section, as his car is very low mileage, but now got to check which box he actually has.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 15:04   #3
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

MAFAM section to OFF and set switch to 2 or 3. If you still get smoke, you need to clean your PCV filter, ensure your air filter is clean and ensure that your EGR assembly is gunk free or replace it with a bypass.

All of this done, you'll see an increase in both power and economy.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:16   #4
Martin75
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDti Auto Saloon 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
MAFAM section to OFF and set switch to 2 or 3. If you still get smoke, you need to clean your PCV filter, ensure your air filter is clean and ensure that your EGR assembly is gunk free or replace it with a bypass.

All of this done, you'll see an increase in both power and economy.
Thanks Ross,

Ron thinks that due to the cars history, it spent 18 months being shunted around dealers and auction compounds the MAF may be shot. I'm going to turn off the MAF and try settings lower (as you describe) and await the new 'Piersburgh' MAF set up.

Martin
Martin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 21:26   #5
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Not sure that the MAF will be shot. If you're getting a lot of smoke, the synergy is over-compensating for the MAF signal. Moving the MAFAM switch on the unit to the off position should increase performance and reduce smoke if this is the case.

With the MAF switch off, 2 and 3 are the same as 5 and 6 or 8 and 9. The higher numbers just have a higher level of MAF compensation.

I personally have the MAFAM switch at off and the unit on setting 9 although setting 3 would have exactly the same effect.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:41   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Stop confusing the poor man.
Is there anyone near Martin that could assist him in changing the MAF etc please?
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote