Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2012, 12:44   #1
K£150N
Loves to post

Default Auto gear box chatter/grind/judder... lower engine mount popped... pics included! ?>?

Following on from my last comment in my previous thread...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=130875&page=2

Driving home yesterday my motor suddenly started sounding like it was grinding and juddering in drive especially in first gear, less in second... oh no, it sounds terminal this does

I had changed the lower engine mount a while back for the power flex option and the gear box had also had an oil change around 18 months back. Having had the lower engine mount change I dismissed this as the cause...

Well this morning upon inspection I found the large rubber red bush completely free from the metal casing, it was sheered off at the top side! The bolts were still tight and everything from what I could see looked okay.

I can't believe that the bush could simply pop out like this, would a failing auto box cause lots of friction to cause the bush to pop out from the lower engine mount?

I do distinctly remember turning a tight corner over zealously from a stand still, maybe it twisted and popped?

Any way fingers crossed that this is the only cause of the grinding noise, the bracket of the metal mount rubbing and vibrating on the bare metal.

Any thoughts to what other damage this might of caused? Suspect area's to look at?

Thoughts are... what a pile of droppings the power flex bush is for it to pop out of the mounting bracket like it's done! I think it could be worth a call.

Lastly... would I be okay to pop out to the car and put it into drive for 2 seconds to check that it was the only fault without the lower engine mount in place?

Thanks peeps,
Rob from Stoke.

P.S. I've ordered the proper item now from Xpart in Endon, should be in on Tuesday, it's public transport all the way now, grrr!
K£150N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 12:47   #2
maxtherotti
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t 190 se, mg zs 180 saloon

i would not move it at all with no lower mount on
could cause something to over stretch and stress

Also the first thing that pops into my head is was the powerflex bush fitted correctly? was there a even amount of the lip protruding both sides to stop it sliding back out?

Rob
Old 8th December 2012, 12:57   #3
K£150N
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtherotti View Post
i would not move it at all with no lower mount on
could cause something to over stretch and stress

Also the first thing that pops into my head is was the powerflex bush fitted correctly? was there a even amount of the lip protruding both sides to stop it sliding back out?

Rob
Thanks Rob, I won't kick it over until the new mount is in place then.

I did the mount myself, I made sure that there was enough lip around both sides, maybe it was compressed too much and had too much moment, possible human error so I'm not going to discount that!

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before? Causes of it? Further problems?
Old 8th December 2012, 13:48   #4
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Ouch! How are the rest of your engine mounts; looks like it received quite a tug

There is a replacement OEM mount now from Rover Link which is the one that is being fitted to the Roewe 750s and unlike many chinese parts it looks pretty good (and I would say an improved design over the Rover OEM ones from Rimmers and its cheaper too)

The edges of your aluminium mount look a bit jagged and sharp to me. I wonder if this has cut into the PF bush?

Arctic I think is testing out the Chinese mount (it comes as a complete unit like the OEM one so a five minute fitting job

would not be tempted to power up the car without a mount as this movement will seriously famage all your exhaust mounts as s minimum
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 13:54   #5
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

On my CDTi the engine Mount lug and the chassis lug are not in line

so the mount is always under a slight twisting stress ?.

Probably about 1/2 inch out of line ?

Could be enough to pop the PF bush out under load ?

Plus those sharp edges are like razors, were like that on mine !! Defin need to have a radius filed on them ..

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 8th December 2012 at 14:12..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 14:54   #6
K£150N
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDave View Post
Ouch! How are the rest of your engine mounts; looks like it received quite a tug

There is a replacement OEM mount now from Rover Link which is the one that is being fitted to the Roewe 750s and unlike many chinese parts it looks pretty good (and I would say an improved design over the Rover OEM ones from Rimmers and its cheaper too)

The edges of your aluminium mount look a bit jagged and sharp to me. I wonder if this has cut into the PF bush?

Arctic I think is testing out the Chinese mount (it comes as a complete unit like the OEM one so a five minute fitting job

would not be tempted to power up the car without a mount as this movement will seriously famage all your exhaust mounts as s minimum
On initial inspection the top mount looked fine, I'll take a butchers again tomorrow. I've actually got a mount on order for collection on Tuesday via xpart, it's more expensive but I need to get it sorted ASAP.

Your right re. the mount edges looking sharp but I put it on my bench grinder to smooth them out, maybe I didn't smooth it enough.

I'll not kick it over until I have the new mount in, thanks.
Old 8th December 2012, 14:58   #7
K£150N
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post

Plus those sharp edges are like razors, were like that on mine !! Defin need to have a radius filed on them ..

C.
I think mine is also slightly out as it requires a good solid whack and twist with a bar to get the bolts in. I'm ditching the PF now in favour of the more expensive OEM unit, I found the PF unit to be okay but did throw up a bit more vibration over the factory unit, thanks.

Any ideas if it could of caused any other problems?
Old 11th December 2012, 16:28   #8
K£150N
Loves to post

Well after a long day on public transport to collect my new engine mount it's now neatly in place and thankfully seems to be the only problem from that eventful drive home last Friday.

In fact I think the new mount is quieter than the powerflex red diesel bush.

The mount is the following via xpart: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-KKH101402

Retails at £86.46 but I got it for £73.49, it's not as cheap as the other I've seen listed but I didn't want to mess about as I needed the best solution ASAP.

So far my conclusions via engine mounts for my diesel...

Don't use a the large yellow bush from powerflex, they are for the petrol variant!

The red powerflex bush seemed to throw a few more vibrations up over my new mount from xpart/rimmers. It is a good solution for about £30 for the large bush only, very often you only need the large bush to be replaced. Also when removing the old plastic remember to clean up the edges of the metal mount or you may find yours goes the way of the above picture!

So far the new mount is the best I've installed, the vibration level is less.
Old 11th December 2012, 16:56   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post

C.
Mine is in perfect alignment, so I would suggest there is something very wrong somewhere and that amount of misalignment will certainly wreck the lower mount. My best guess would be that there is a problem with one of the two upper mounts having dropped.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 11th December 2012 at 16:59..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 18:09   #10
K£150N
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Mine is in perfect alignment, so I would suggest there is something very wrong somewhere and that amount of misalignment will certainly wreck the lower mount. My best guess would be that there is a problem with one of the two upper mounts having dropped.
Good spot, after installing mine today it's not out of alignment really, infact a little tap and I was able to start the bolts off with my fingers.

Worth checking out ceedy.