Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2015, 19:22   #1
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Default If you have bulb warning with a good bulb / height adjuster and want to fix it how to

Well 3 weeks in, and finally braved the cold (-1 here at the mo) and sorted the issue with my ipk showing bulb out and having no driver side headlight adjuster.

Total time- 30 mins, 10mm socket, fat cross head screw driver for rusty under bumper screws.

This has been documented many times. If you have changed the bulb and it doesn't light up, chances are the wiring behind the headlight connector has chaffed on the chassis bulk head.

This tends to only affect driver side and I'll cover why next.

You just need to remove bumper. (10mm bolts on top, screws all around bottom) and disconnect wiring from headlight and remove (4 10mm bolts) also covered in more detail in other how toos.

With the headlight out, you can see the headlight sits on top of the wiring which is just a bunch of individual wires together. These wires chafe against the chassis leg finally cutting wires in 2.

(You can see the rusty bit where it happened.)

I mentioned this tends to only affect drivers side, I noticed the passenger side leg has a rubber cover protecting the sharp edge, wonder why the drivers side doesn't?

Easy repair- cut, solder, heat shrink.

Make sure you tidy up affected area and put a but of thin foam, rubber etc on sharp edge to prevent this happening again.

Plug your headlight in and test. Chances are it works!

Headlight back in, bolts then bumper back on.

Last edited by Departed 32016; 17th January 2015 at 21:53..
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:19   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
Well 3 weeks in, and finally braved the cold (-1 here at the mo) and sorted the issue with my ipk showing bulb out and having no driver side headlight adjuster.

Total time- 30 mins, 10mm socket, fat cross head screw driver for rusty under bumper screws.

This has been documented many times. If you have changed the bulb and it doesn't light up, chances are the wiring behind the headlight connector has chaffed on the chassis bulk head.

This tends to only affect driver side and I'll cover why next.

You just need to remove bumper. (10mm bolts on top, screws all around bottom) and disconnect wiring from headlight and remove (4 10mm bolts) also covered in more detail in other how toos.

With the headlight out, you can see the headlight sits on top of the wiring which is just a bunch of individual wires together. These wires chafe against the chassis leg finally cutting wires in 2.

(You can see the rusty bit where it happened.)

I mentioned this tends to only affect drivers side, I noticed the passenger side leg has a rubber cover protecting the sharp edge, wonder why the drivers side doesn't?

Easy repair- cut, solder, heat shrink.

Make sure you tidy up affected area and put a but of thin foam, rubber etc on sharp edge to prevent this happening again.

Plug your headlight in and test. Chances are it works!

Headlight back in, bolts then bumper back on.
And then fit the refurbished YWC00200 xenon LSM that is winging it's way north as we speak, to replace the standard LSM I cobbled in for you

Then I can get around to sorting out the LSM for Vanbursta's Launch car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote