Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2015, 09:19   #1
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Arrow Unstable/fluctuating idle - K-Series

After my recent issue with camshaft sensor - http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru....php?t=220552m - I thought my 1.8 45 (not 75) would present no more issues for a while. Seems I was wrong as on Tuesday driving to work the engine was idling at approx 2000 rpm, I did stop and restart but it was the same. However the drive home was different, it still wasn't idling at the correct speed, but it wasn't as high as in the morning. When I reached my garage and the engine warm the idle speed was fluctuating by approx 300 rpm, dipping down to 750 or so (almost cutting out) and then picking back up to 1050, then down again and so on.

Haven't driven it since, just in case it got worse.

There are no stored error codes, according to Torque app.

Am I correct in thinking the idle air control valve is the culprit?

Thanks for reading.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 09:34   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Ian, try resetting the iacv by turning the ignition on but don't start the engine, then press the throttle 5 times quickly, turn off then restart the car. Might help.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 09:56   #3
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Ian, try resetting the iacv by turning the ignition on but don't start the engine, then press the throttle 5 times quickly, turn off then restart the car. Might help.
Thanks Ronnie, have tried that already. Though I think that is the procedure to reset the throttle position sensor.

Old 6th August 2015, 11:54   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Check for inlet manifold leaks/ connecting pipes loose/perished etc.
Old 6th August 2015, 13:52   #5
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Has anyone ever adjusted (turned) the throttle position screw on the throttle body ?
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 20:12   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
Has anyone ever adjusted (turned) the throttle position screw on the throttle body ?
If its the screw I am thinking about it adjusts the stepper motor and should be done while connected to a T4 to monitor idle speed etc.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2015, 20:41   #7
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

With engine at running temperature, spray some brake cleaner about all the inlet seals / joints first. For those not in the know, this should tell if there is an air leak caused by a failed sealing joint, the engine would change running when you spray near the culprit , OBD won't find this out.
Start with basic stuff that costs pence to try out before spending £ at a garage who will probably have your trousers down ££££££££.
Also fiddling with base settings on throttle housing wont effect a proper fix, unless the engine has been running like this for a while with a replaced body fitted.
The skills needed are basic on this and should be easy to practice to find the problem, then effect a proper repair from a proper diagnosis.

Last edited by RogerHeinz57; 6th August 2015 at 20:45.. Reason: Needed to edit.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 09:27   #8
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
If its the screw I am thinking about it adjusts the stepper motor and should be done while connected to a T4 to monitor idle speed etc.
Exactley, this is why I asked, my ZR went in to my local MG Rover garage (in 2004) because of bad engine vibrations with the aircon on. They started playing around with this screw to try to up the idle speed.

A couple of days later, the car would idle eraticaly, reving up and down on its own in neutral at junctions etc.

Took it to another garage who set it back up on T4 properly.

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 13:18   #9
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I know better than to mess with that screw and yes you are correct a T4 session is needed to set it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Check for inlet manifold leaks/ connecting pipes loose/perished etc.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
With engine at running temperature, spray some brake cleaner about all the inlet seals / joints first. For those not in the know, this should tell if there is an air leak caused by a failed sealing joint, the engine would change running when you spray near the culprit , OBD won't find this out.
Start with basic stuff that costs pence to try out before spending £ at a garage who will probably have your trousers down ££££££££.
Also fiddling with base settings on throttle housing wont effect a proper fix, unless the engine has been running like this for a while with a replaced body fitted.
The skills needed are basic on this and should be easy to practice to find the problem, then effect a proper repair from a proper diagnosis.
Thanks John for the wise words.

Now quick update: Having not used the car since my last post I went around my rented garage today to see what I could find. Started up as normal, no sign of weirdness. Left it idling while I checked the tyre pressures, still ok. Had a quick check around the pipes and wiring, couldn't see anything. Oiled the exposed end of the throttle cable, took off the air filter and multiple times sprayed some Wynns carb/injector cleaner into the pipe leading to the throttle body, it was definately going through as it was clearly affecting the engine rpm, indeed at one point I did stall it. Put the air filter back and went for a quick 10 mile drive, no issue at all. Wondering if the ambient temperature being cooler today is masking a sensor issue, which manifests when hot.

Old 15th August 2015, 18:13   #10
Ste.Sales
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I had a similar issue with my zr, turned out to be a faulty throttle position sensor.
Ste.Sales is offline   Reply With Quote