Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2018, 02:05   #1
arblickspule

Rover 75 Saloon

Default [SOLVED] Rear End Knock

After some months frequenting and perusing this lovely forum I did not get to the bottom of the 'knocking sound from the rear' that was bugging me to point of

So, after replacing the upper and lower suspension arms, drop links and a couple of dodgy bushes, and after removing and refurbing the subframe and anti-roll bar and a couple of other bits 'n' bobs still had no chuffing idea what the damn knock was!

Until last Friday...

We chocked the beast on the tow ring (chunk of chassis what sticks out the back) and wedged a 12 foot length of thick walled, rusted, steel pipe under the offside rear tyre and, with a breeze block as a fulcrum, simulated the drive of it's life!

Result...

...was pretty annoying!

The bolt that holds the bottom of the shock absorber is, I guess by design, although who'd design it like that... ...sorry, start again.

The bolt that holds the bottom of the shock absorber to the lower trailing arm had fatigued to the point where it wobbled, imperceptibly, while we were searching elsewhere for the knock, until we finally nailed it.

So first port of call for rear end knocks - since you don't even need to take any wheels off (just jack up until the wheel stops taking the weight) and they cost less that an a quid - Item 3 -> https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001548

Image #1 is the test to see, if indeed, the knock was from this bolt. We simply moved the contact point from the sh**ty knackered thread on to the pristine-ish bit of the bolt using a couple o' washers.

Our assumption was that the dire knock was a result of an issue further up the suspension chain and so, being the first bolt we got to and thus the first to be undone and thrown over our shoulder, disregarded it as unimportant. Turns out it was the cause.

Lessons learnt!
arblickspule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 08:42   #2
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Result. Thank you for informative thread with pics. I'm about to take tourer of road to rebuild back end as it's on 200k and knocks bangs and skips. Just need to get the Green one on the road, which has been stood for 2 years as replacement.

Jobs like rebuild of rear suspension is what is killing alot of the old diesel bangers

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2018, 16:42   #3
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Thanks for that, my rear end " bubbub, bubbabub, bubbadub" is driving me to distraction, add the back box banging on the towbar mounting bolt, a front end rattle as well into the mix, and it's not a good experience at the mo.
Will definately check those bolts, but they were fine when I fitted the new upper wishbones a year or so ago.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:55   #4
arblickspule

Rover 75 Saloon

Back box hittin' yer towbar mount!? Really shouldn't be doing that! New rubber mounts, maybe, or just a whole new box. The mounts are complemented by a decent connection to the rest of the exhaust piping so maybe check that too and if there's a an issue grab an exhaust clamp from Halfords.

Front end rattle could be anything. Would start with the under tray as the quick release screws can be a bit funky. If it's a high pitch, tinny type of noise (think tapping a cola can with a screwdriver) then could be the aluminium heat shielding. Had to renew all the connections on mine wiv massive washers where the metal had corroded.

If there's anything I've learnt from my experience with these gorgeous nightmares it's "check the simple stuff first!!!" 😆😭
arblickspule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 11:20   #5
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

I've also rebuilt the rear suspension on mine, and it's suffering the same.

Is the washer supposed to sit under the bolt head or between the vibration damper and the shock?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RYF000170

Thanks.

Ben.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote