Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2018, 12:40   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Do garages change all the ATF?

When I bought by motor I asked the garage to change the ATF as I had read that this was not an easy job. 60K miles further on I thought I'll do it myself. So equipping myself with the right ATF and reading the "How to" I set about chocking the car up with all 4 wheels off the ground. This is when the full enormity and peril hit me not relishing a ton and a half of metal above me. Having perhaps too much imagination I didn't fancy working underneath so with some reluctance I approached my usually excellent local garage to do it for me. Back came the honest reply: "We'll do the sump but not run the engine to get it all out, unless at your risk." Which leads me to think "Is this what all garages do when you ask them to change the ATF?" I'm happy to just drain the sump - maybe 4 litres - but do it more often than the recognised £60K. So: (a) is this what all garages do (b) will it make any difference if I do it say every oil change, 12K miles?
Old 18th June 2018, 13:24   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

ATF?
automatic transmission fluid

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 13:35   #3
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
When I bought by motor I asked the garage to change the ATF as I had read that this was not an easy job. 60K miles further on I thought I'll do it myself. So equipping myself with the right ATF and reading the "How to" I set about chocking the car up with all 4 wheels off the ground. This is when the full enormity and peril hit me not relishing a ton and a half of metal above me. Having perhaps too much imagination I didn't fancy working underneath so with some reluctance I approached my usually excellent local garage to do it for me. Back came the honest reply: "We'll do the sump but not run the engine to get it all out, unless at your risk." Which leads me to think "Is this what all garages do when you ask them to change the ATF?" I'm happy to just drain the sump - maybe 4 litres - but do it more often than the recognised £60K. So: (a) is this what all garages do (b) will it make any difference if I do it say every oil change, 12K miles?
I would say it is more normal than people think that a normal garage would just do a "pan drop" ATF change (often there isn't an actual drain plug, depending on the manufacturer). Some oil change specialty garages (do you have them there?) have the pressure bladder type machines that they connect to your transmission cooler lines to completely pump out and replace all the ATF. This should be done. After that, I think the bi-annual pan drain/re-fill will be fine. One of those should be an actual pan drop to have a look at/clean the screen/filter.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2018, 16:08   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Dave,

Simple answers:
Quote:
(a) is this what all garages do
Yes.
Quote:
(b) will it make any difference if I do it say every oil change, 12K miles?
Yes; the difference will be that a progressively greater proportion of your fluid will be new at the mileage you choose to carry out the change.

Simon
Old 18th June 2018, 19:34   #5
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Had mine done twice last month. 1st time garage said only 3 litres came out, black, looked like it had never been changed, suggested that I did the same after about 2 weeks. 2nd time 4 litres changed. Unbelievable how much difference this has made. Well worth doing. Said do it again in about another 4 years.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote