Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2008, 20:02   #1
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Spring Breakages - Outstanding Issues

We have seen various threads recently referring to Front Spring Breakage/Tyre Protectors.
In my view this subject is still a grey area with some basic questions remaining unanswered.
1. What was the ongoing solution for vehicles produced post the Recall?

2. What is the role of VOSA in the Recall process.Are they only responsible for documenting the Manufacturers Safety Recall solution or do they have to approve it?
The reason for asking this question is that having obtained RSC00031 Tyre Protector Kit I can see why Rimmers were able to sell these at £3.00 a pair until recently.As the Manufacturer is bearing the cost of the Recall it is in their interest to produce a solution at lowest cost,not necessarily the best solution.Which seems to apply in this case.
Whilst fitting the kit is a sensible precaution I don't feel that fitting a component costing approx £1.00 each is a best solution to a potentially lethal failure.
The Recall leaves members in two camps.Those upto the recall - these cars presumably still have Springs of questionable spec.Fitting the Tyre Protectors only helps deflect a broken spring,it does not address the cause.
Those post the recall - who do not know what action MGR took to resolve the problem.So far we have educated guesses at changed Spring spec & strut redesign,but as far as I am aware these are not confirmed.
The forum has been responsible for generating solutions to known problems & design weaknesses & a wealth of general information,but I think we should go back to square one with this one & attempt to establish the facts.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 20:14   #2
Departed
Retired

--

As far as the springs, the problem of breakage is common to many brands and models.

The issue is what happens when the spring breaks, and again, our cars are not the only ones where the consequence is 'not nice' (yes I know that's understating it). Citroen C3s for example fail much sooner, and drop the bumper onto the floor.

The bottom line is: does the protector, no matter what the cost / price is, prevent the nasty outcome? If yes then there needs to be a campaign to make sure evcery car gets them. If no, then what do we do now?
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 20:34   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I'm not 100% convinced that the RSC00031 Protector Kit was actually produced to solve this problem. There are questions about the design I'd like to understand. Why are they not handed? What function does the welded-on plate fulfill? Why is this plate at the front on one side and the rear on the other side? How come earlier struts were pre-drilled to take this fix, even before the recall was made?
As for the root cause, the original recall notice made reference to corrosion as the cause. Anecdotal evidence suggests there's a low temperature factor involved. A recent examination of the fracture on behalf of a member here indicated a low temperature crystalline fault is to blame. Several recent fractures reported have occured in freezing weather when the car was simply parked.
The more you ask, the more questions are thrown up.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 22:22   #4
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Im going to throw another observation into the pot....I have heard of some owners replacing worn/dry strut top bearings...surely if the bearing at the top is stiff and dry then when the steering is turned there a risk of twisting the spring in the strut due to the top being tight?

I do intend fitting the protectors, but I am curious as to whether the bearing contributes to failure?

Its unlikely to be a single cause...more likely to be a combination of factors...lets just list the factors that may contribute and see where that takes us?

Strut top bearing siezure?
Fatigue?
Age?
mileage?
Corrosion?
Temperature?
Manufacturing fault?
Loading for example...is it the cars with the heaviest engines?

Last edited by Jamie; 20th December 2008 at 10:35..
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 03:15   #5
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Did a very rough scan of old posts over the last two years and appx 17 members reported broken front springs either in specific threads or as a 'mine did as well' post in an existing thread.

All but one were R75s. The odd one was a ZT260 at 10k miles which I have ignored for this post.

No Tourers were involved in the remaining 16.

8 were diesels, 4 2.5 KV6, 2 2.00 KV6, 2 Not known

I was able to establish registration year in 13 cases. 2 were 2003, 1 was 1999 and 10 were 2000 and 2001.

Not having VIN numbers I can not say if the cars fell within the range specified for the recalls and only a small number of posts mentioned the fact.

Mileage was only mentioned in 9 cases and varied a great deal. The highest mileage was 115k (the 1999 car KV6 2.00) and the lowest was 31k (Diesel 2003 Car). One was at 54k and the rest were all in the range 60 to 90k.

If anyone does comment on this post please remember that the above was extracted pretty quickly from posts and I may have missed some reports where the thread headings did not mention springs. Please also take account of the lack of detail about the cars, mileages etc in the posts.

However from this quick look if I were driving a 75 saloon of whatever engine variety manufactured up to and including 2001 I would be having a good look at the front springs to see if the Spring Retention Devices had been fitted. If they are not, which is certainly possible as there are at least two cars in this group where the VIN numbers fell within the recall but were not so fitted (my own and Keiths), THEN I WOULD GET THEM FITTED AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 10:38   #6
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Id say that was pretty conclusive...not black and white but nevertheless it seems to tie in with the detail of the models affected in the factory recall.
Old 20th December 2008, 16:55   #7
jeeringtowser
Regular poster

mini One 1.6D

Default Part Number.

Does anyone have a part number for Spring Retention Devices?
jeeringtowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 16:58   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Think its this for a pair

RSC000131

£8:63 inc Vat

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 20th December 2008 at 17:01..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2008, 17:40   #9
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

£2.65 + VAT if you go to an X Part dealer.

Rimmers price would appear to have increased a little

Find an X Part dealer with the Spring Retention Device in stock:

http://www.thepart.com/en/search/
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 11:53   #10
Departed
Retired

--

The 'fixing holes' aren't fixing holes, but drain holes to stop build up of water, or maybe jigging holes.

As far as why they aren't handed, you'll probably find the springs fit in a way that means the likely break point is at the front on one side and the rear on the other, bearing in mind the struts aren't handed either and the end of the spring locates in a particular way in the spring pan.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote