Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2023, 11:38   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Insurance ideas needed!

Hi folks

It's been a while since I've posted. Hope everyone is keeping well?

Just wanted to look for some ideas with regard to insuring an extra car. Bit of background to it first though…

Last October we bought a Peugeot estate, four years old, to replace our existing two cars, a Ssangyong Rexton and a Citroen DS3. The idea was to have one very economical car replacing a very uneconomical and one averagely economical. However, our plans were immediately scuppered when the new car developed a fault the very day after purchase, and we tried to return it. The supplying dealer wouldn’t play ball, and we got a legal team involved via our car insurers. In the meantime, we couldn’t use the new car, and therefore ended up with having to insure all three vehicles – too risky not to insure the Peugeot, even unused, and we still had to use the other two

Sadly, we still have three cars. The legal people are agonisingly slow and we have no idea when this nightmare will end. It’s a very unpleasant situation to be in, but we have the added issue now of continuing the insurance. When we bought the Peugeot, we swapped the insurance from the Rexton to it, and SORN’d the Rexton. As it became obvious we’d need to start using the Rexton again, we added it as a temporary vehicle to the Peugeot policy. However, this was limited to three months, so at the end of this period, we then added it to the Citroen policy. Problem now is that we’ve reached the limit for both cars and don’t know what to do next. We’ve looked at laid up/SORN insurance, but it’s no cheaper than a full policy. We’ve also looked at short-term cover and, surprise, a month is about the same as a year on a full policy.

I know it’s an unusual scenario, but if anyone has any ideas on how we can carry on covering all three vehicles, it would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by uk_dave&gill; 3rd April 2023 at 18:01..
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2023, 12:29   #2
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

When I owned more than one Rover 75, I used Adrian Flux for multiple vehicle insurance on the one policy. I found having the wife on the policy kept the premiums low.

When I had trouble with a UK car dealership, I got the car manufacturer involved and they assigned a case worker. I activated drivers legal cover because the car dealership was not cooperating, so we took them to court. On the day before court, the dealership paid me what I was owed, completed the work to the required standard and apologised for their shoddy service. At the time, it was stressful and drawn out with time consuming phone calls and letter writing.

Ultimately, I won in the end and it was a great feeling.

My heart goes out to you.

Good luck!
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2023, 13:26   #3
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Can't admiral multi car do something?

And as you still have but can't use the car, how about towing it to outside the dealer, and pop signs in the window stating the issues and lack of co-operation from the dealer? People here did it with a house. Got signs made up and stuck all over their cars and parked them outside the developers show home all the time...
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:05   #4
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
When I owned more than one Rover 75, I used Adrian Flux for multiple vehicle insurance on the one policy. I found having the wife on the policy kept the premiums low.

When I had trouble with a UK car dealership, I got the car manufacturer involved and they assigned a case worker. I activated drivers legal cover because the car dealership was not cooperating, so we took them to court. On the day before court, the dealership paid me what I was owed, completed the work to the required standard and apologised for their shoddy service. At the time, it was stressful and drawn out with time consuming phone calls and letter writing.

Ultimately, I won in the end and it was a great feeling.

My heart goes out to you.

Good luck!
Thank you!

Adrian Flux were one of the laid up insurers we tried, but haven't yet for multi-car!

We don't know where the legal stuff is going to take us yet, but will keep in mind involving the manufacturer!
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:09   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Can't admiral multi car do something?

And as you still have but can't use the car, how about towing it to outside the dealer, and pop signs in the window stating the issues and lack of co-operation from the dealer? People here did it with a house. Got signs made up and stuck all over their cars and parked them outside the developers show home all the time...
I think we've tried Admiral, but can't remember, as we've looked at so many! The Citroen is due in three weeks, but the Rexton will need to be re-done this week, which complicates things further

We can actually use the Peugeot, but would prefer not to, to "keep up our end of the bargain" of rejecting and thus not using it. We did think of the "protest at the dealer" route back in October, but now we are so far down the legal route, not sure if it might things worse
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:22   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

We have used Admiral for multi car for 10ish years, I'm not to sure.
They were excellent when the wifes car was hit.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:41   #7
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Just tried Admiral multi-car, but with no joy

We can get the Citroen covered elsewhere for less than £200, but a joint policy with the Rexton is well over £500
Old 5th April 2023, 17:52   #8
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

As an update to this, decided I'd have to bite the bullet and get the Rexton insured on a separate policy today, but going for monthly payments, in the hope of finding one with a reasonable "exit fee", keeping fingers crossed that the Peugeot issue gets sorted soon...

I didn't hold out much hope, as both mine and Gill's NCB allowance are used on the two existing policies, so I'd be asking for a fresh quote with zero NCB. Imagine my surprise therefore, when I went to GoCompare and it came back with a policy costing just £219 a year all in - and I say "just" as the existing policy (swapped from Rexton to Peugeot) is nearly £300 with a full 9+ years NCB The monthly payments are acceptable and the exit fee under £60 so it should work out OK, fingers crossed!

Here's another weird thing. GoCompare ask if you want to put your driving licence number in as it could give a discount. Gill tried this on a quote yesterday and it dropped the quote by £10. I tried it today and... the quote went up by £1! (and I have a clean licence!)

Insurance seems so random, but at least we're sorted for now!