Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st May 2023, 12:29   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Panic mode

Did something rather silly when my 1999 failed its MoT on diffuse headlight beam (both). We get a grace period of one month to rectify the faults and return then the failed items are re-checked to a lower price than a full MoT. So set about polishing and replacing the bulbs, however when illuminated against the garage door I saw there was no improvement.

Secondhand parts tend to be expensive, and there’s no guarantee that the reflectors are fit for purpose so started looking at ebay knowing I had only a month before the car was no longer road legal, and saw Xpart had LHD projectors for a hefty sum but needs must.

So I wrote to Xpart and specifically asked if the items would fit my 1999 signing off as Mike K. in Sweden, I received an answer stating that they were for LHD vehicles, I replied LHD were the ones I wanted, so I ordered them.

Of course, they arrived 3 weeks late, a combination of, in my opinion, a cowboy parcel service & UPS, made the whole thing a nightmare. Yes they are lovely and shiny but unfortunately for the facelift not my 1999.

Christ, perhaps I should have known better but so should Xpart when questioned, so now what do I do? I either return them (not easy) but if the actual housings are identical could I swop the two eyed lenses for the facelift lenses?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2023, 12:35   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I'd be very tempted to ask Xpart for a returns label and return the headlight as supplied incorrectly. Do they have pre Facelift headlights?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2023, 13:13   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I think I would be "borrowing" a pair of headlights from a friend for the day for the MOT and sending them back Mike.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2023, 13:27   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks both, tempted to return them but have had a nightmare just to get them here including calling a Swedish UPS number only to be forwarded to a call centre in probably Bombay and having to describe the unique Swedish letters of the alphabet in my address to an Indian girl who was obviously paid by the words she spoke per minute, and the promise of contact within an hour which never materialised.

I've written to Xpart describing the situation, hopefully they'll answer in the not too distant future.

I'll have to check if anyone has new LHD pre-facelift headlights, but if it'a just a matter of swopping the lenses I would like to keep them as I'm sure the light output is much better than my 25 year old ones.

Decisions, decisions
Old 2nd June 2023, 16:32   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You can swap the lenses.
Old 2nd June 2023, 16:48   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
You can swap the lenses.
Thanks, I was wondering about that esp since the early lenses have "focus" built into them but the later (facelift) ones are absolutely clear.

Might give it a go as Xpart insist I should pay the return postage which is no joke from here.

I've even been playing around with the idea of a facelift bumper but they are very rare here.

Now I've got an alternative, better get polishing the old lenses ....
Old 3rd June 2023, 09:42   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
... have had a nightmare just to get them here including calling a Swedish UPS number only to be forwarded to a call centre in probably Bombay ...
I've had exactly the same experience with UPS in the UK Mike.

Simon
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:04   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I've had exactly the same experience with UPS in the UK Mike.

Simon
I've used the name Useless Parcel Services for years now, mind you I don't care much for DHL and the rest who deliver up here, with the exception of the one Mat uses FedEx - nothing but praise for them, at least that's been my experience.

To make matters worse UPS have no local delivery themselves but hand things over to a third (or in my case a fourth) party agent.

I left a rather critical review on UPS' local Facebook page, no reaction - just don't care.

As for Xpart, they have done nothing to chase things up, and I'm not too happy with the whole experience. I've learnt through the years to never burn bridges, but I will never buy directly from Xpart again.

Keep well
Old 3rd June 2023, 11:52   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Mike,

There's a PM waiting for you.

Simon
Old 12th June 2023, 16:31   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Update

I’d like to thank Simon (SD1 too) for his input and encouragement regarding my recent purchase from Xpart. I wrote to an addressee suggested by Simon and received a reply today.

The Head of Sales at Xpart wrote, saying he has reviewed my situation, and suggested, what I consider, a most satisfactory resolution. I have accepted the offer and my faith in Xpart has been restored.

Returning goods within the home market is a bother, but from abroad and having paid customs duties etc a nightmare. Add to this that the original packaging was received damaged and I’m sure you get the picture.

What a relief!