Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th June 2023, 06:52   #1
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Default Drivers Door Central Locking

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

I wonder if someone could give me some advice on a problem I've got with my ZT.
Basically, off the remote the drivers door wont unlock. You have to unlock it with the key.
When it is unlocked, it will lock off the remote.
When you drive away, it won't lock off the feature that locks the doors when you go above 5mph.

Is it possible for the solenoid to fail in just the unlock position?

Many thanks

Richard

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2023, 19:04   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

In a word, yes . There are two motors in the lock assy one for each operation . Edit: please read on in this thread as this may be incorrect.
Most people change the lock but they can be repaired but it is not an easy stripdown and rebuild

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 14th June 2023 at 17:47..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2023, 21:04   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
In a word, yes . There are two motors in the lock assy one for each operation .
Most people change the lock but they can be repaired but it is not an easy stripdown and rebuild
I hope the OP will excuse this addition but it is relevant:
Dave excuse my curiosity but when I thought of answering the OP's post I checked my understanding of one motor for lock, one for unlock by reading some old posts but there it was suggested one motor for lock, one for superlock so I got confused and didn't dare reply. How is superlocking achieved?

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2023, 05:51   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi Mike, my diagnosis is purely through experience of stripping of the locks and repairing them.

When stripping locks down there are two motors, the motors rotate in opposite directions when energised, upon inspecting the motors of a faulty lock there is always one that shows signs of distress and once this motor is repaired /replaced the lock then performs as it should. I have to add that if the lock fails to unlock or lock this dictates which motor requires attention (No I cannot remember which is which )

My assumption (may be incorrect) is that as the lock presented symptoms of either not locking or not unlocking (never both) then the faulty lock motor was the one that performed that operation. Hence one motor locks and one motor unlocks

As always more than happy to be educated if this is incorrect as I have to confess I have no idea how the super lock is enabled.

Hope that helps a little as to how I've reached that conclusion.

Hope you any yours are keeping well old friend
D...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 14th June 2023, 08:09   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
... it was suggested one motor for lock, one for superlock ...
That is indeed what the 1999 RAVE Body Electrics Workbook says; two motors separately activating central door locking and superlocking. This is repeated in the 2002 System Description & Operation manual:

"The driver's door latch comprises a door open microswitch, a key barrel microswitch and two actuator motors .... Each actuator motor can be driven in either direction to lock or unlock the door. One motor operates the CDL function and its operation is visible by movement of the door sill locking button. The second actuator motor is used to move the latch mechanism to the superlock position.
Quote:
... my diagnosis is purely through experience of stripping of the locks and repairing them.
I agree with Dave that dismantling and inspection provides the ultimate explanation and we both know that the VIS actuator operation and radiator fan circuit are not as described officially. It's therefore quite possible that either the operating system was changed after the manual was written or that the author made a mistake.
Quote:
... I have to confess I have no idea how the superlock is enabled.
This question might be very relevant.
Inserting the key into the driver's door lock barrel and operating the master locking button on the centre console both activate central door locking only.
Superlocking is enabled when the buttons on the key fob are used.
Can you remember Dave whether or not you tested all three methods as part of your investigation?

Maybe we'll collectively be able to shine a bit more light on the subject!

Simon
Old 14th June 2023, 11:44   #6
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Okay,

Thanks everyone, I must admit I'm a little confused even after reading everyone's posts a couple of times.

Is there anyone ( pref with spares ) who could assist me with sorting this out. I am prepared to drive if not too far, and obviously will pay for parts and help doing the work.

Many thanks

Richard

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2023, 11:57   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Okay,

Thanks everyone, I must admit I'm a little confused even after reading everyone's posts a couple of times.

Is there anyone ( pref with spares ) who could assist me with sorting this out. I am prepared to drive if not too far, and obviously will pay for parts and help doing the work.

Many thanks

Richard
Bottom line Richard:
One of the motors in your lock has failed, you can strip and repair the assembly but it is not an easy task or you can replace the assembly.
If you can make a Midlands Nano meet then there is one member there who does indeed strip and repair locks (Devlish) He may be able to supply you one at a reasonable cost, or, there are people there who will assist you in striping out and replacing a lock assy if you have acquired a replacement.

Old 14th June 2023, 12:11   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

I agree with Dave that dismantling and inspection provides the ultimate explanation and we both know that the VIS actuator operation and radiator fan circuit are not as described officially. It's therefore quite possible that either the operating system was changed after the manual was written or that the author made a mistake.

This question might be very relevant.
Inserting the key into the driver's door lock barrel and operating the master locking button on the centre console both activate central door locking only.
Superlocking is enabled when the buttons on the key fob are used.
Can you remember Dave whether or not you tested all three methods as part of your investigation?

Simon
Afraid I didn't Simon, lock didn't work, strip and replace/repair motor that was inoperable on test rig (bare motor test rig), reassemble and refit assy. It may well be that Rave is correct in this instance as I never paid much attention to which motor was faulty but there was always one and after repairing the motor the lock was working fine.

I suppose the assumption that there are two motors and two actions where one of them works and one does not could be incorrect as there are actually as you quite rightly say are three/four actions

What clouds the issue is that if indeed one motor is responsible for both lock and unlock actions, then the fact that it will do one action but not the other is strange and confuses my engineers logic. (I could understand this if the gearing ratio was different for lock and unlock action but it cannot be as with this set up the current is simply reversed)

Old 14th June 2023, 12:55   #9
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I miss the thanks button!

Dave, thanks for the well wishes, ditto. I’ll go back to my corner and not worry too much about the locks especially since you feel the set-up is illogical. I have enough problems getting the locks in/out without worrying too much about the function.

Simon. As above I’m not too worried about the operation of the motors. My earlier SD1 motors were easy to understand as there the polarity was reversed and it was just the one motor. Dave will probably have a word with Devlish, and then there might be more information forthcoming in a new thread.

And finally for the OP, sorry to interrupt your thread, I’ll leave it be now and hope the following link to Stocktake’s advice helps. https://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2023, 13:10   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
What clouds the issue is that if indeed one motor is responsible for both lock and unlock actions, then the fact that it will do one action but not the other is strange and confuses my engineers logic.
I agree Dave.

Richard, I have two questions:
Quote:
Basically, off the remote the drivers door wont unlock.
You've specifically stated the driver's door. Does this mean that the other doors do unlock?
Quote:
When you drive away, it won't lock off the feature that locks the doors when you go above 5mph.
Can you confirm that you've had this feature enabled using T4 (according to RAVE cars leave the factory with it turned off)?

Simon