Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th February 2024, 08:15   #1
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Default Incompetent garage

I have the ignition light on while driving, the alternator charging as normal. I've taken it to a local garage to diagnose. Firstly, they've shut the bonnet with various bits and electrics detached and jammed it shut. They've also asked me if I can get an image of the blue wire on the charging system as they are not sure if the pattern is correct. Apparently, there is a k-bus code but he can't remember what. I can't just collect the car because of disconnected ecu.
Can anyone please guide me as to the bonnet opening method for a possible broken cable, and an image of the blue wire wave pattern?
Thanks
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 08:46   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
I have the ignition light on while driving, the alternator charging as normal. I've taken it to a local garage to diagnose. Firstly, they've shut the bonnet with various bits and electrics detached and jammed it shut. They've also asked me if I can get an image of the blue wire on the charging system as they are not sure if the pattern is correct. Apparently, there is a k-bus code but he can't remember what. I can't just collect the car because of disconnected ecu.
Can anyone please guide me as to the bonnet opening method for a possible broken cable, and an image of the blue wire wave pattern?
Thanks
Hi Stephen.
Link below for bonnet opening which you will be able to see as you are a paid up subscriber.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=274518

I would get them to open the bonnet and then get your car back toot sweet, from them and do not let them do anything else to it.

Does your car have a FBH if so you could try unplugging it see if the ignition light goes out.

Maybe get it to someone on here with a T4

might be worth looking at

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 15th February 2024 at 09:18..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 09:00   #3
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Thanks
Do not let them touch your car! collect car and run away!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 09:55   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
They've also asked me if I can get an image of the blue wire on the charging system as they are not sure if the pattern is correct. Apparently, there is a k-bus code but he can't remember what.
Hello Steve,

The garage's question doesn't make much sense. If they're asking for the K-bus wiring colour code it's WRY but the charging system doesn't use the K-bus anyway.
The blue wire carries a signal from the alternator to the ECM to control the charge warning lamp.

Steve, how have you determined that the alternator is charging the battery correctly? What is the voltage measured across the battery terminals with the engine running at idle and above?

Simon
Old 15th February 2024, 10:19   #5
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Steve,

The garage's question doesn't make much sense. If they're asking for the K-bus wiring colour code it's WRY but the charging system doesn't use the K-bus anyway.
The blue wire carries a signal from the alternator to the ECM to control the charge warning lamp.

Steve, how have you determined that the alternator is charging the battery correctly? What is the voltage measured across the battery terminals with the engine running at idle and above?

Simon
Steve, if it helps I've got a alternator charging tester, that will tell you what the voltage is and output etc, if you can get it across to St leonards, i might be able to take a look, i can't help with the blue wire, but it will at least iron out any charging fault,
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2024, 12:23   #6
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Thanks for all the replies.
I haven't got an FBH

F*** knows what they are on about. Battery was about 12.2 volts. Voltage across the terminals with the engine running at idle, 13.6 volts. I've been driving the car for about a week with the ignition light fault and the car is charging ok. I just wish I'd ignored it.
What the Kbus fault is, "he couldn't remember".
He has asked me if I've got any images of the blue wire wave form which "he thinks" may be wrong. I haven't and can't find on line.
A gallon of petrol and box of matches seems to be the best idea. He says that various wiring is disconnected and without getting the bonnet open, I can't drive it away and can't afford recovery. The car was a cheap, tatty purchase, so honestly it isn't worth spending a lot, but mechanically it's been good.

I'll get onto Green Flag and see if it covers me, but I'm doubtful.
Old 15th February 2024, 12:25   #7
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
Steve, if it helps I've got a alternator charging tester, that will tell you what the voltage is and output etc, if you can get it across to St leonards, i might be able to take a look, i can't help with the blue wire, but it will at least iron out any charging fault,
Thanks for the offer, I'll bear it in mind.
Old 15th February 2024, 12:28   #8
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Do not let them touch your car! collect car and run away!
The 1st and last visit there. The trouble is I'm getting too knackered for a lot of the work, plus I have to do everything at the roadside. As the expression goes, "the mind is willing but the flesh is week.
Old 15th February 2024, 12:42   #9
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Stephen.
Link below for bonnet opening which you will be able to see as you are a paid up subscriber.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=274518

I would get them to open the bonnet and then get your car back toot sweet, from them and do not let them do anything else to it.

Does your car have a FBH if so you could try unplugging it see if the ignition light goes out.

Maybe get it to someone on here with a T4

might be worth looking at
Thanks, it's a good video. I intend to tell them to just bung everything back together, they seem to be totally incompetent. A classic case of fitters rather than engineers/mechanics.
Old 15th February 2024, 13:09   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Voltage across the terminals with the engine running at idle, 13.6 volts.
Thanks Steve. As you say, that looks good.
I can understand the garage suspecting an incorrect signal from the alternator to the ECM. Normally the response to that is to fit another alternator!

I sympathise with your predicament. There used to be a fantastic alternator and starter motor rebuilding company in Mildenhall called Horner Bros. until it was voluntarily wound up. If you can find a place like that, give them a call without question. Good luck.

Simon