Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2009, 09:51   #1
slimsi
Loves to post

2005 Ignition Blue ZT 190 +

Smile Tonight is the Night..Now includes How to for Harmony to Symphony Upgrade

I am going to take out my new Symphony unit and replace the halfords ISO lead that doesnt work properly and replace with the proper loom for Harmony to Symmphony upgrade.

Couple of questions though:

1. The lead to the CD changer has a female connector as does the one behind the unit where do I have to run this to connect it? Looked at all the threads on this on not quite sure if its into the glove box or below?

2. Since fitting the Symphony unit tried to remove it using same peices of credit card I removed the Harmony with and wont budge any other tips gratefully received? (I have removed the screws at the top!)

Thanks

Simon

Last edited by slimsi; 5th June 2009 at 09:13.. Reason: Update
slimsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 19:36   #2
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

to remove the Symphony you will need a set of removal tools, or make some. The slide in the slots either side and depress the internal clips.

Ebay Item number: 250302516234

(I tried to post link and all it does is put up the full address not sure why?)

Ed.

Last edited by capese21; 4th June 2009 at 19:38..
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 19:40   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Try: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 20:30   #4
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

A cut cc card is ok but a nice flat screwdriver is suffice to remove. No need to waste money on special tool
madone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 08:39   #5
slimsi
Loves to post

Thanks for your replies, I found that the credit card trick worked on the Harmony but not the Symphony. But what I did find is that jigsaw blades are perfect, push them in the with blade sticking out and hey presto no problem with it flexing at all straioght out.
Old 5th June 2009, 09:07   #6
slimsi
Loves to post

Thumbs up How to upgrade a Harmony with Glove Box CD Changer to a Symphony Head Unit

1. Remove old Harmony Stereo using strips of credit card as described here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2142

2. Disconnect old harness using flat bladed screw driver to push clip upwards and remove the aerial connection. Also remove or adjust the bracket at the back sticking out so the Symphony will fit, I removed it as I could not get it to fit at all.

3. Connect in new lead to harness and clip down, lead needed is either VUL100330 or VUL100320 and finally connect the aerial lead back in.

4. Remove the cover for the fuse area under the glove box by turning the large clips quarter turn.

5. The one spare lead is the one for the CD changer, this needs to be fed to the fuse box area under the dash. Push it over the metal inside where the arrow is shown using your right hand.

6. With your left hand reach into the top right hand area of the fuse area and you will feel the lead coming down, pull it down so it reaches two thirds of the way across.

7. Now find the matching lead in the fuse box area and unplug from the lead fed down from the glovebox CD changer and clip new one in.

8. Before putting all back together power on the head unit and test the radio, steering wheel controls and CD changer.

Tip: If you get CD Changer Error displayed when selecting it you need to power of the head unit take the CD magazine out which may take several attempts. Then power on push CD and it will say no magazine, power of again put magazine back in switch on and hey presto CD changer is now working.

9. Put cover back on fuse area.

10. There is now a lot of wires in the area for the head unit, I found I could push most back into the area where I fed the CD changer cable. Finally push stereo back into dashboard firmly and replace the lip above. Test one final time and you have a symphony upgrade.

Tip: If you need to remove the symphony unit I found that the credit card trick didn’t work so I used jigsaw blades with the blade pointing out as they did not flex like the credit card.

Any comments...

Last edited by slimsi; 8th June 2009 at 08:40.. Reason: Better Picture