Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th November 2009, 10:41   #1
ianwilks
Regular poster

Conn 2001 2.5 BRG-M3

Red face Was I a good samaritan?

Appreciate your comments guys...

A local guy (a painter) bought a 2001 BRG Auto Conn 2.5 (140k) a couple of months back from Sydney (off ebay). Rather good nick with good service history. Long story but my wife bumped into him at a shopping centre and exchanged contact. He rang over the weekend to say he had EP showing and was reduced to 3rd only. I volunteered to look and found badly blocked plenums (which I had already told him to check when he first got it). Cleared both sides, drained about a litre from both. The centre was very bad, water up to the bottom of the ECU. Cleared, drained what must have been a gallon or more, seemed to pour out for quite awhile. REmoved the ECU cover, found white condensation powder up the ECU circuit board about 6mm, cleaned (flushed) with circuit board moisture removal and air dried (using hair dryer on low heat). Left in front of a low heat radiator for 2 hours then cooled and sprayed comformal coating to both sides across the effected area.

Reassembled and refitted. EP gone so took for a drive. However 1st and 2nd engaged quite roughly (bit less then savage) and wouldn't change into 3rd. Tried stopping and restarting a number of times but still the same.

I suggested he find an auto trans guy to give an opinion, however, he rang today to say it on the way to the workshop it seem to sort itself out and is going absolutely fine now.

My concern (guilt) is did I go too far. Could the rough gear changing of the test drive (about 7-8 times of thump thump) have done him some trans damage that might yet to show itself.

Is it plausible for a water effected ECU to cause the Emergency Program to kick in on the trans, or is there perhaps a more sinister problem yet to show itself.

Is it possible for the trans to 'sort itself out' after a couple of shortish drives.

Appreciate your straight answers, even if it embarrasses me...
Old 30th November 2009, 10:49   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Certainly he was headed for big trouble with wet ECU even if it did not cause the initial problem.
Best advice now would be to change the gear box fluid to be on the safe side. Quite why it sorted itself out I cannot say, I'm sure your intervention was worth the time and effort.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 11:07   #3
ianwilks
Regular poster

Conn 2001 2.5 BRG-M3

Good suggestion, thks GG.
It might be a bit down on oil, he's clocked up quite a few country kls since he got it (like we all do down here).

I'll give him a copy of TB0080 so he knows he must have it changed professionally and not attempt it himself.

I'm up to 160k now from 100k 2 yrs ago and that's just weekend driving and tripping, still with a clean bill of health from day one. Been a really good investment... to think I was a bit shy of buying it at first.

Thanks again
Old 30th November 2009, 13:46   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

In my opinion -- A wet ECU is the most common cause of the g/box reading EP.

And yes, the gearbox may well " clear" itself and start to behave normally, as there was nothing wrong with it in the first place! The problem was the signals passing between the main ECU and the g/box ECU were currupted when the main ECU got wet.

You did the bloke a huge favour, tell him the beers on him next time you meet.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 06:03   #5
ianwilks
Regular poster

Conn 2001 2.5 BRG-M3

Thanks James,
I feel better now, was concerned I maybe went too far for him. Always a concern when working on somebody else's pride and joy. Good to know the g/box can settle down again following an ECU clean. He (Peter) is getting the trans oil professionally changed this week. Sounds like he was real lucky this time around (maybe should buy himself a lotto ticket).

Even though I knew my plenums were clear, after seeing the amount of water that poured out of his, soon as I got home I double checked mine and relief, were perfectly dry, even the pollen filter still looked new.
Old 1st December 2009, 12:15   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwilks View Post
Appreciate your comments guys...

A local guy (a painter) bought a 2001 BRG Auto Conn 2.5 (140k) a couple of months back from Sydney (off ebay). Rather good nick with good service history. Long story but my wife bumped into him at a shopping centre and exchanged contact. He rang over the weekend to say he had EP showing and was reduced to 3rd only. I volunteered to look and found badly blocked plenums (which I had already told him to check when he first got it). Cleared both sides, drained about a litre from both. The centre was very bad, water up to the bottom of the ECU. Cleared, drained what must have been a gallon or more, seemed to pour out for quite awhile. REmoved the ECU cover, found white condensation powder up the ECU circuit board about 6mm, cleaned (flushed) with circuit board moisture removal and air dried (using hair dryer on low heat). Left in front of a low heat radiator for 2 hours then cooled and sprayed comformal coating to both sides across the effected area.

Reassembled and refitted. EP gone so took for a drive. However 1st and 2nd engaged quite roughly (bit less then savage) and wouldn't change into 3rd. Tried stopping and restarting a number of times but still the same.

I suggested he find an auto trans guy to give an opinion, however, he rang today to say it on the way to the workshop it seem to sort itself out and is going absolutely fine now.

My concern (guilt) is did I go too far. Could the rough gear changing of the test drive (about 7-8 times of thump thump) have done him some trans damage that might yet to show itself.

Is it plausible for a water effected ECU to cause the Emergency Program to kick in on the trans, or is there perhaps a more sinister problem yet to show itself.

Is it possible for the trans to 'sort itself out' after a couple of shortish drives.

Appreciate your straight answers, even if it embarrasses me...
After reading through all the posts you are most definitely a good samaritan with some skill too. Good on yer ,mate. :lol::lol::lol:
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote