Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th February 2010, 15:58   #1
shaneyboy
Avid contributor

rover 75 mg zt 2.0 cdti auto

Default how do i get the drivers doorhandle off

any help on the aqbove would be most apreiciated
shaneyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 16:45   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Door card off

trim off inside of the glass

undo two 10mm bolts at the base of the glass

lower the window with the motor

lift up glass by hand and remove from door

take a torch and a long handle screwdriver and shine it through the window slot at the top of the door where the glass went through to the back of the doorhandle

To the rear of the doorhandle you will see a small clip, this needs to be pushed backwards about 5 to 10 mm

once you have moved the clip you can pull the rear chrome part of the doorlock off from the outside, underneath this is a torx screw

pull the door handle as if to open the door then, pull the handle to the rear of the car, this will enable you to remove the handle. This then reveals the second torx bolt.

I found it best to move the rear part of the window guide forward to enable the removal of the lock and handle as one. to do this:

Remove lower 10mm bolt, slacken top 10mm bolt and slide through keyhole slot. Then slide the assy forward.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 16th January 2023 at 08:32..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 16:56   #3
Hodgy
Love to chat

Jaguar XJ

Hi
When I removed mine I carefully prised out the smallest part of the handle. The part you put your thumb on when opening the door. Be careful not to break the lugs that hold it in and also not to damage your paintwork. Once removed you will see you can move the handle back and pull off. Again be careful. The back off the handle is held in place by 2x torx screws

Just thinking out loud
Alan
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 17:00   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgy View Post
Hi
When I removed mine I carefully prised out the smallest part of the handle. The part you put your thumb on when opening the door. Be careful not to break the lugs that hold it in and also not to damage your paintwork. Once removed you will see you can move the handle back and pull off. Again be careful. The back off the handle is held in place by 2x torx screws

Just thinking out loud
Alan

you have been very lucky not to snap the rear two of the four legs on that then Alan, either on the removal or refitting, never known one not snap.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 28th February 2010, 17:02   #5
Hodgy
Love to chat

Jaguar XJ

Sorry Stocktake Thought there might be a better way. I did it my way because I couldn't get the door open.

I feel a song coming on (I did my it way)

Alan
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 17:11   #6
shaneyboy
Avid contributor

rover 75 mg zt 2.0 cdti auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Door card off

trim off inside of the glass

undo two 10mm bolts at the base of the glass

lower the window with the motor

lift up glass by hand and remove from door

take a torch and a long handle screwdriver and shine it through the window slot at the top of the door where the gass went through to the back of the doorhandle

To the rear of the doorhandle you will see a small clip, this needs to be pushed backwards about 5 to 10 mm

once you have moved the clip you can pull the rear chrome part of the doorlock off from the outside, underneath this is a torx screw

pull the door handle as if to open the door then, pull the handle to the rear of the car, this will enable you to remove the handle. This then reveals the second torx bolt.

I found it best to move the rear part of the window guide forward to enable the removal of the lock and handle as one. to do this:

Remove lower 10mm bolt, slacken top 10mm bolt and slide through keyhole slot. Then slide the assy forward.
this is the part thats come lose from the handle so, am i right in thinking its a handle of job to put it back http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/a...241800x600.jpg
shaneyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 17:28   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyboy View Post
this is the part thats come lose from the handle so, am i right in thinking its a handle of job to put it back http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/a...241800x600.jpg

In theory you could do it with handle in situ, but you would need to be able to see just where to slot it in and get the little spring in the right place so it pulls the rod back up.

There are two stops that stop this clip from coming out so you need to get he handle out to make sure they are not broken.

So, Yup, you need to take it out, sorry

Old 2nd June 2012, 07:46   #8
Dr Dave
Regular poster

330d

Fiddly old job! Just done one myself and found this guide by stocktake very useful. The dealer documentation is quite misleading when it comes to releasing the little clip.
Dr Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 06:50   #9
Cliff.Harding
Regular poster

Rover75 Connoisseur Tourer

Thumbs up Fitting door handles

Thanks guys that info came in very handy for me, I successfully changed my door handle as a result of this post.
Old 9th June 2013, 07:44   #10
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

Thanks for the info too.

Got to take my door handle off to fix my door, the key doesn't unlock even though the drive bar is fitted properly...
Trevor1975 is offline   Reply With Quote