Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2010, 15:32   #1
Lisa
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT - White Gold

Angry Love my Rover 75 but...........

...the head gasket has blown again for the 3rd time since I've had it (4 and half years) and the damage this time is so severe I either have to scrap it..or buy a recon engine. Fact is, as this is a common fault on the 1.8 k series honda engines it is just as likely to happen again after i've paid out..well at least £800.. It's nearly 10 years old, It's heartbreaking because I love my beautiful car. Last time we had new head gasket was only 8 months ago..think it's time to give up. I would love another Rover but wouldn't buy a 1800 again...any comments appreciated
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:34   #2
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

Was it fitted with the uprated Head Gasket Kit that is recommended for the 1800?

chrislloydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:35   #3
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

it's not a honda engine.

The head gasket goes for a reason- replacing it will only put ofF the inevitable. You need to find out why it keeps going. Normally due to a coolant / pressure leak.

If you've paid a garage to do it everytime or had it replaced under warranty they may have just replaced the head gasket but not found out why.

If it was 8 months ago- surely it will be under warranty.

The key is to check the coolant level at least once a week
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:40   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

It doesn't sound as though the repair has ever been done properly, and £800 is a very high price for the job anyway.

Personally I think you should get it repaired by one of the Club shops in your area, and then decide.. Either keep it. Or sell and get the Diesel version..

Before you make your mind up A phone chat with Lates would be a good idea..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:49   #5
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Sure i read a post singing the praise of the 1.8 this is the 3rd time i have seen a post with the hg was repaired 3 times on a 1.8 are they that reliable. get shot and get a derv or a kv6 they have issues but not as bad as a 1.8 i feel
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:54   #6
N1&EPR
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

If the repair was done right, you wouldn't be havng this problem. I'd be getting further advice on the engine being scrap as well.

Sack your garage and get it done right.

I have a friend with the 1.8 in a kit car, and with the proper gasket on, it's never went wrong despite getting ragged to death on trackdays.
N1&EPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:00   #7
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
It doesn't sound as though the repair has ever been done properly, and £800 is a very high price for the job anyway.

Personally I think you should get it repaired by one of the Club shops in your area, and then decide.. Either keep it. Or sell and get the Diesel version..

Before you make your mind up A phone chat with Lates would be a good idea..
I agree - My Mechanic didnt quote that for our V6 H/Gaskets - when the car overheated and we thought they might have been damaged. My 214i only cost £450 to replace H/Gaskets.
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:07   #8
brownie21
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

It could be the reason it keeps failing is because the head has been overskimmed, therefore the lack of compression will inevitably lead to another gasket failure. A new or recon cylinder head should cure the problem once and for all (together with the MLS kit of course) Any reputable mechanic who knows the K series engine should be telling you this.

Last edited by brownie21; 23rd March 2010 at 16:10..
brownie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:08   #9
N1&EPR
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie21 View Post
It could be the reason it keeps failing is because the head has been overskimmed, therefore the lack of compression will inevitably lead to another gasket failure. A new or recon cylinder head should cure the problem once and for all (together with the MLS kit of course)
Overskimm will increase compresion, not lower it...
N1&EPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:28   #10
Lisa
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT - White Gold

It's a tricky one because the mechanic only charged us about £250 for a new head gasket last time. And also I'm sure i'm partly to blame because i didn't check the water weekly...but on how many cars should you need to check it weekly?! The £800 charge is £510 for a recon engine, and the rest for labour to change the engine etc. Think it's quite badly damaged because it had black smoke pouring out of engine and exhaust.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote