Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2010, 16:47   #1
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Default handbrake cable stretch?

handbrake has never really been an issue, worked fine but did so after 8 clicks. after reading a thread which said it should lock after 3, i decided the take a look at the shoes and drums.

when i took drums off, bit of dust so i gave the inside a clean out and inspected the ring where the shoes contact the drum. it wasnt corroded and had little wear, and shoes had plenty of meat on them. a small amount of adjustment was required but when i looked at the retaining nut on the hb lever, i found it right up to the hilt. so i completly slackend and re adjusted shoes, only to find no extra cable was taken up. so i put back together and had to wind the nut all the way back in to make the handbrake atleast work, and requires 7 clicks to lock, so progres has been made.

fearing the worst, does that mean i need new cables? or can the cable be adjusted in any way?
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:09   #2
James_Death
Gets stuck in

EX.2001 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.0, CDT,155 Brake, BRG

i look forward to a reply on this also
James_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:28   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

The usual problem is the drums are incorectly adjusted and the slack has been taken up on the lever.

Undo the nut to 25mm and pull the lever up three notches. Now adjust the drums till they don't turn, Take the lever off and on a few times and check again.

Mine was upto the arm rest and still wouldn't hold, it's now on 3 clicks and could do with another little fettle, when I get the chance.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:41   #4
rrobson

i did do that, but the cable was still slack. the brakes bit well when they do, but a couldnt seem to get the cable tension anywhere near. as you say, pulled it all the way to the top when the nut was at 25 mm and pretty much nothing?
Old 4th June 2010, 18:48   #5
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
i did do that, but the cable was still slack. the brakes bit well when they do, but a couldnt seem to get the cable tension anywhere near. as you say, pulled it all the way to the top when the nut was at 25 mm and pretty much nothing?
you need to have another try.......I don't believe steel cables can stretch 50mm+......also check that the shoes have plenty of meat on them as well.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 19:34   #6
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

The cables don't stretch much at all, that's not the problem.

Keith (at Ellesmere) did a lot of work on this topic and wrote a very long "how too" I dunno where it is now though.. But I was at his house at the time, and saw some of the work in progress..

I seem to recall he made a new spigot that fixed to the wheel and sourced some new, and shorter cables.. But -- I may be wrong about that..

Last edited by James.uk; 4th June 2010 at 19:42..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 20:04   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I did mine (plus a few other jobs) yesterday evening. The cable adjuster nut is not easy to get at. I ended up drilling the centre hole bigger of an old 3/8 drive socket, to clear the thread, then welding the socket on the end of some 6" long steel tube, then crushing the tube end square to fit a 3/8" socket ratchet. The 'contraption' is now in the Rovers toolkit.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 20:26   #8
rrobson

thanks for the replies, i will give it another go if i can get the current more urgent problem sorted...
Old 12th June 2010, 03:46   #9
Big Frank
Big Frank

ZT260SE

Default Rubbish system

Suggest you take a look on the ZT260 site as there's a lot been said and done with regards to the somewhat rubbish handbrake arrangement on the V8's. There is a clear problem with the cables - the long cable on my car was not working correctly and dispite fitting new back brakes plus disc/drums the handbrake lever went right to the armrest! To overcome this I put a spacer on the handbrake lever cable and at least got it all to work in five clicks. I am now having new cables made - see my post on this.
Big Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:56   #10
ronbax
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Default handbrake cables

hi guys
am slightly confused re. this subject of the "long" handbrake cables.
rimmers online catalogue shows 2 different cables for the 75 / mg.
what is the difference?? why did rover change them?? a problem with previous one's??
comments please
ronbax is offline   Reply With Quote