Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2011, 17:43   #1
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Default IPK Issue - Someones been in here before...

Decided to strip my IPK down to see if I could repair the issue with the trip meter (not displaying fully from cold / first use).

So I removed the IPK and started to strip it apart, as I did I noticed that the sticker had been damaged, so I knew it had been open before. Delving deeper, and stripping it to the pcb, I find the following:

The leds concerned are for the Oil Pressure, ABS and Airbag lights.

Now - the tracks on the pcb have been cut, and these wires fed around so someone who has done it, has known what they are doing, but my questions are why, and is this dangerous / misleading? Has this been done to repair a fault , or to hide a problem?

The car runs fine, and having just had a T4 session, the airbag circuit (?) was tested and no faults found (though an old fault was cleared if I remember correctly). I did a quick test of the ABS and that is also working (again during the T4 I am sure a fault was cleared for that too). After the T4 no faults came back or could not be cleared (except for my FBH but thats another story and a job for different day). The lights come on when the ignition is started and go off when the engine is started, the airbag light also came on during the T4 session when it was tested.

I'd like to know what people think - as a side note I think I have fixed the original issue, I resoldered the led that was intermittent and it seems to be working fine now. Apart from snapping one of the needles when refitting, it was stripped and put back together quick easily so not a huge job - apart from getting the needles back to the right places.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 17:50   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
Decided to strip my IPK down to see if I could repair the issue with the trip meter (not displaying fully from cold / first use).

So I removed the IPK and started to strip it apart, as I did I noticed that the sticker had been damaged, so I knew it had been open before. Delving deeper, and stripping it to the pcb, I find the following:

The leds concerned are for the Oil Pressure, ABS and Airbag lights.

Now - the tracks on the pcb have been cut, and these wires fed around so someone who has done it, has known what they are doing, but my questions are why, and is this dangerous / misleading? Has this been done to repair a fault , or to hide a problem?

The car runs fine, and having just had a T4 session, the airbag circuit (?) was tested and no faults found (though an old fault was cleared if I remember correctly). I did a quick test of the ABS and that is also working (again during the T4 I am sure a fault was cleared for that too). After the T4 no faults came back or could not be cleared (except for my FBH but thats another story and a job for different day). The lights come on when the ignition is started and go off when the engine is started, the airbag light also came on during the T4 session when it was tested.

I'd like to know what people think - as a side note I think I have fixed the original issue, I resoldered the led that was intermittent and it seems to be working fine now. Apart from snapping one of the needles when refitting, it was stripped and put back together quick easily so not a huge job - apart from getting the needles back to the right places.
Chris, this may be of interest...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_499wt_1159
As to the needles, power up the IPK with the needles off, and the stepper motors will be at the zero position, then fit the needles.

Brian.
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 17:52   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Looking at how they are wired, they are all wired up in parallel to one circuit. My guess, ( and only that ) is the car has had problems with ABS and airbag lights so they have piggy backed those two warning lights on to a known good circuit (oil pressure) to give the impression the lights come on and go out as they should.

Bit naughty really

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 27th April 2011 at 18:34..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 18:13   #4
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Yep its so they come on with the oil pressure light and go off at the same time when the engine is running.

On my cluster the EML led's had been broken off at some point to hide the fact it had a fault!
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 18:31   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Someone was pretty desperate to get it through an MOT. Thing is, the ABS light should come on and stay on, once on the rolling road.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 18:41   #6
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

So - given that the T4 found and cleared some old faults, could they have been the reason for this apparent bypass? Rather than pay for a T4 session to clear it, it's been wired?

Obviously I'm not happy with it, so, I think the best option would be to replace the IPK and have the replacement paired with the car via T4 (if I understand correctly what is required).

Time to pop back out to the scrapyard / search e-bay.......
Old 27th April 2011, 19:31   #7
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

See if you can find a message centre one, i can send Brian the "new" eeprom data for the CDT so it doesnt matter if you find a petrol or diesel one he will be able to convert it for you
Old 27th April 2011, 19:32   #8
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
So - given that the T4 found and cleared some old faults, could they have been the reason for this apparent bypass? Rather than pay for a T4 session to clear it, it's been wired?

Obviously I'm not happy with it, so, I think the best option would be to replace the IPK and have the replacement paired with the car via T4 (if I understand correctly what is required).

Ohhh Rimmer Bros are doing new KMH Diesel with trip for £52 delivered, get one of those and do the dial swap on it.
Old 27th April 2011, 20:11   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

No reason why that PCB that you have, could not be restored back to normal function - by the look of it.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 21:56   #10
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Ohhh Rimmer Bros are doing new KMH Diesel with trip for £52 delivered, get one of those and do the dial swap on it.
So it is ok to, effectively, retrofit a IPK with trip computer in? I just happen to know the one I have seen in the scrappy has the IPK and Trip stalk still fitted, is a diesel and is therefore my best bet. All that would remain would be to pair it with my car? Currently I have the standard IPK with no trip stalk etc.

If I can get it tomorrow, I have a T4 session with Brian lined up for Friday, so the timing would be perfect.

Failing that, I also have the opion of buying the reduced IPKs from Rimmerbros, and simply swapping over my dial inlays, and then reprogramming / pairing to the car, or, repairing the damage done on my existing one - which may be beyond my limited soldering abilities.