Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th October 2015, 22:14   #21
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis View Post
There is a flexi joint in the exhaust pipe where it goes down from the engine and turns under the body at the base of the bulkhead. Because it is a flexi joint sometimes it has a tendency to split. I had a 75 tourer before the ZT and I had fumes smell for a long time till I found it.
My flexi is brand new whole exhaust system is new from the flexi back
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 07:12   #22
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

My 75 doesn't stink of burnt diesel when it's running, but my Shogun does. Both cars have new exhausts etc, both running well, but the Shogun gets the back of my throat if stood behind it with the engine running.

A friend has an identical one that doesn't stink and both are doing very similar mpg figures.

I would love to know what is causing it.
Mr Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 07:56   #23
rimpak
Regular poster

MG ZT

My R75 emits awful diesel smell. There's zero smell inside the car, UNTIL I open the windows. Not sure if CAT is removed. Not sure where to look for the problem.
rimpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 08:38   #24
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Had the same problem with my CDT a few years ago and new injectors removed the problem. My car has a full turbo back stainless exhaust with a 'fake cat' and I don't get any fumes or smoke.
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 13:30   #25
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Strange this thread running at the mo, I've got exhaust fume smell with the window open while stationary. Pretty sure it's the Cataclean I bunged in yesterday. I suppose it's an indication it's actually doing something and will settle. Car is running very well. With an egr by-pass, silicone boost hose, new UBP and the re-map I expect it should really.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 13:53   #26
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Strange, seems like a lot of diesels across different makes have this issue but no common solution or fix has been found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Had the same problem with my CDT a few years ago and new injectors removed the problem. My car has a full turbo back stainless exhaust with a 'fake cat' and I don't get any fumes or smoke.
All four injectors in mine are brand new and it didn't cure the issue
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 22:56   #27
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

any upadte in this issue????

mine is like yours rick-sta, a smell that you cant stay near to it...

i did not bypass the egr, i just putted a screw head in the small pipe that makes the vacum in the egr to stop it working...

a usual way to go with the egr whitout spending Money and keeping the engine clean...

but the smell is incredible strong, real nocive like you say, i am sure it already had this smell before i tapped the vacum for the egr...

i do the pcv every 30000 kms, air filter ok, fuel filter ok, oil ok...

done the viton orings, the hose is swallowed but not extremely...

so i do wonder why is this coming from???

maf?
super s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 23:29   #28
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Yup I have this problem myself, but I think its too do with my decat and the twin system.

Never had it before that, I did remove my pollen filter recently was badly covered in leafs and bits of road and it stank, since removing it and fitting a new one on, the smell isn't as bad anymore, but still present.

I want to check the exhaust manifold next and have a real good gander at that.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Last edited by Lordy; 27th November 2015 at 23:32..
Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 23:45   #29
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I am sure there will be a huge queue of folk on here ready to put me in to a correcting corner, but do we all know what EGR stands for? Do we know why it is there? Do any of us really benefit from spending £25 upwards on something that stops EGR effect, when it is quite simple to clean out once in a while, whilst also using decent fuels?
My 75 is an old donkey compared to some on here, but it is quite respected for it's performance, reliability and smoothness by many members. This car has no EGR modifications at all, still connected and working well, cleaned out briefly about 12 months ago. 160 Map has been installed by Phil T-4, Synergy 2a fitted over the top of the re-map giving some great results and the only stinky part is my backside when I stand behind the car running or not !

My suggestion if it holds any value, would be to re-install a working and clean EGR, and re-check after a week or so to see if the stink is still generated at idle, I'd think there may be a fair chance the stink will be much reduced due to a percentage of nastyness being re burned.

Finally, I don't know if the winter diesel is in circulation yet, and if this may contribute to a worsening effect for odours produced.

JohnH.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 23:54   #30
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
I am sure there will be a huge queue of folk on here ready to put me in to a correcting corner, but do we all know what EGR stands for? Do we know why it is there? Do any of us really benefit from spending £25 upwards on something that stops EGR effect, when it is quite simple to clean out once in a while, whilst also using decent fuels?
My 75 is an old donkey compared to some on here, but it is quite respected for it's performance, reliability and smoothness by many members. This car has no EGR modifications at all, still connected and working well, cleaned out briefly about 12 months ago. 160 Map has been installed by Phil T-4, Synergy 2a fitted over the top of the re-map giving some great results and the only stinky part is my backside when I stand behind the car running or not !

My suggestion if it holds any value, would be to re-install a working and clean EGR, and re-check after a week or so to see if the stink is still generated at idle, I'd think there may be a fair chance the stink will be much reduced due to a percentage of nastyness being re burned.

Finally, I don't know if the winter diesel is in circulation yet, and if this may contribute to a worsening effect for odours produced.

JohnH.
Exhaust gas recalculation.

Many of us put the EGR valve on is to reduce the gunk inside the inlet manifold when the gases return to the inlet manifold, remember my original being coverd in gunk, I mean it was bad.

or also jet washed the inlet as well, should have seen it, took about a mess inside.
To be honest I think you could be right, plus the EGR pipe at the back of the engine could be at fault as well.

A few times I've checked the egr and found a lot of black soot sprayed everywhere, tuned out I didn't clamp down enough, but still the smell is there.
Wish I still kept my original egr now.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Last edited by Lordy; 28th November 2015 at 00:01..
Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote