Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2017, 16:55   #1
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Default DRL's...

Only really just noticed that, on new cars, when the front indicator is on, the opposite side DRL is extinguished. Which means that the indicator is then harder to see because the corresponding DRL is still on. Maybe me being incredibly thick, which is understandable, but I just don't get it.

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 17:02   #2
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Not like that on our Citroen Cactus. But there are lower spots and the corresponding one comes out when turning at night to light your corner, so to speak.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 00:32   #3
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

not seen any like that myself. The ones I've seen either dim the DRL on the side the indicator is being used or turn off the DRL for that side completely, making the indicator more visible. This is also the way the dual colour white and amber DRL's I do work.

The only thing it could be is as mentioned above some new cars now have the fog light for the indicating side turn on.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 08:01   #4
sponge_mike
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
not seen any like that myself. The ones I've seen either dim the DRL on the side the indicator is being used or turn off the DRL for that side completely, making the indicator more visible. This is also the way the dual colour white and amber DRL's I do work.

The only thing it could be is as mentioned above some new cars now have the fog light for the indicating side turn on.
Keep a look out, Rich - I've seen three now!

Mike
sponge_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:25   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_mike View Post
Only really just noticed that, on new cars, when the front indicator is on, the opposite side DRL is extinguished.
That doesn't actually comply with the 'rules': https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ing-lights.pdf

AA notice: https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice...running-lights

The guidance is a little vague in that the need to dim a DRL when the corresponding indicator flashes depends on their proximity to each other. There is no specific distance cited. Some DRLs flash inversely with the indicators or simply dim or switch off for the duration of the indicator.

IMO, dimming/extinguishing the DRL on the opposite side to the indicator makes no sense.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:47   #6
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Never mind DRL's on modern cars the indicators are so stupidly small in bright sun they are invisible. Followed a newish small Audi the other day and at first i wondered why they were braking then as they turned finally caught a glimpse of the indicator. It's about 10mm deep and about 50-75mm long. NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- stupid but it looks cool to some.

Safety be damned as long as it looks cool that is all that matters today!!!
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:54   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

My father's car has these type of lights, and as with other DRLs I am not a fan (it spoils the lines of the car IMO as well as dazzling oncoming traffic AND can make some people believe their headlights are on when they are not ....). I don't think they dim or switch off the corresponding DRL, rather they illuminate the direction of travel. I reckon it is because of the increase in electric power steering that has made this possible. ie When the wheel is turned in one direction or another, the corresponding DRL (with or with indicator, I've noticed) will illuminate.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:56   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
Not like that on our Citroen Cactus. But there are lower spots and the corresponding one comes out when turning at night to light your corner, so to speak.
Watch out for these on roundabouts. as a driver enters the roundabout turning right it sometimes look like the rightindicator flashes (when they don't have the indicators on) - can make you think they are taking their first exit and it's safe to pull out. And I've no idea why they operate in daylight as well

From a different perspective i.e. driving a car using these, I fail to visualise how illuminating a fog light (close to the ground and with limited range) on the inside of the corner is going to help light your way around a bend anyway. If you are looking that close to the front of the car while cornering you need to go take another driving test!

FIX: I should have said: as they enter turning slightly left to join the roundabout it looks like the left indicator flashes - even if they are actualy taking the second exit and not the first.

It might be marginally more useful if it was the lamp on the opposite side from the inside of the corner and angled across.....
Save

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 3rd March 2017 at 19:01.. Reason: right-left/left-right who knows?
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote