View Single Post
Old 30th December 2021, 15:01   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Diesel auto gearbox issue

Hi all,

My dad's 04 year MKII 75 has decided to kick up a gearbox issue since this morning. All was fine yesterday but this morning when he selected drive the gearbox aggressively clonks into gear, even when you first select drive or reverse from park with your foot still planted on the brakes.

Every gear change is then extremely harsh, as if it is banging into gear.

I done a battery reset to rule out the off chance it's just a electrical glitch with the gearbox ECU, and that actually cured it. I was able to drive a couple miles with no issues what so ever. However as soon as I put it in reverse the problem returned.

So after a batter reset it'll drive fine as long as I don't use reverse gear. I believe the issue must have started last night when he reverse it onto the driveway.

Any ideas what the problem could be? It's not going to be as simple as just needing a gearbox oil change is it? Is this signs of the cracked reverse piston issue? Although I thought that was a problem only with the earlier models?

Many thanks
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote