Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2024, 16:17   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default replacing a diesel ECU using TOAF

the ECU on my dad's 75 diesel auto appears to have developed a fault. The car has intermittently not been starting (just keeps turning over). Leave it alone for a little while and on reattempt it starts up and runs absolutely fine. Once running it never has any issues.

Had it checked on a t4 by Kevin at MG Rover Repair Center Wickford and the ECU was showing errors including a corrupt eeprom. The faults were cleared but come straight back. He has advised the ECU needs replacing and has seen this problem several times on the diesel models.

I know a virginised ECU is required in order to code it in with a t4, however if I were to obtain a used ECU with the exact same part number has the original one, can it be coded in using TOAF by simply backing up the original ecu using TOAF and uploading those files to the replacement used ECU, or is that wishful thinking?
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2024, 16:38   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I would PM Big Russ if i were you - he will know i am sure.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2024, 12:47   #3
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
the ECU on my dad's 75 diesel auto appears to have developed a fault. The car has intermittently not been starting (just keeps turning over). Leave it alone for a little while and on reattempt it starts up and runs absolutely fine. Once running it never has any issues.

Had it checked on a t4 by Kevin at MG Rover Repair Center Wickford and the ECU was showing errors including a corrupt eeprom. The faults were cleared but come straight back. He has advised the ECU needs replacing and has seen this problem several times on the diesel models.

I know a virginised ECU is required in order to code it in with a t4, however if I were to obtain a used ECU with the exact same part number has the original one, can it be coded in using TOAF by simply backing up the original ecu using TOAF and uploading those files to the replacement used ECU, or is that wishful thinking?
The "security" areas are write once and locked software wise. They can be overwritten by putting the ECU into boot mode, you can then write over the entire flash, but you'll need a bench setup and a mapping tool capable of doing bootmode flash on an EDC15 (A Galletto 1260 can do this and is fairly cheap). You'll also need to sort the EEPROM as that is what syncs it to the EWS.

You would have to hope there isn't any corruption on the original too. I can generate original files for the VIN if needed. But you'd have to get the stuff to read and write the flash chip (I assume you still have EEPROM stuff)
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote