Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th July 2014, 14:01   #1
vfr16v
Regular poster

ZT

Default HK setup and electric rear blind

Hi folks,

I've a question. I own a 2004 MK2 ZT diesel with low-line satnav (on IPK) and a 6 CD changer in the glove box.
I want to upgrade my system with HK speakers, amp, and sub. And I want also to install an electric rear blind.
Do i need to upgrade the loom, or is it just plug and play?

Thanks!
vfr16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 14:13   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I fitted my electric rear blind last weekend with the wiring in place, best way to check if you have the wiring for the blind is to pop off the plastic panel between the front cup holders and the heater controls and see if you have a green plug wrapped up in foam. If you find this then you have the wiring for the electric blind in place and it'll just be a plug and play job.

Can't comment on the HK set up though as I've had no experience in this, but members have fitted it themselves on here so I'm sure someone will pop on here with some help
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 14:13   #3
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr16v View Post
Hi folks,

I've a question. I own a 2004 MK2 ZT diesel with low-line satnav (on IPK) and a 6 CD changer in the glove box.
I want to upgrade my system with HK speakers, amp, and sub. And I want also to install an electric rear blind.
Do i need to upgrade the loom, or is it just plug and play?

Thanks!
Hi, i'm afraid it's not plug and play as you'll need to chop and splice 30 wires to add the amplifier.
The weak point in the audio is the head unit ESPECIALLY the Symphony head unit which you'll have in a Low Line Nav car.
Personally, i'd just get one of Radioguys head units as the internal amplifier on these units will give a greater improvement in sound quality with standard speakers than if you installed just HK speakers with the existing Lowline set up.

The Harman Kardon amplifier is an inline one, so is essentially just a sound processor which is still powered by the head unit and radio amp.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 14:15   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Hi, i'm afraid it's not plug and play as you'll need to chop and splice 30 wires to add the amplifier.
The weak point in the audio is the head unit ESPECIALLY the Symphony head unit which you'll have in a Low Line Nav car.
Personally, i'd just get one of Radioguys head units as the internal amplifier on these units will give a greater improvement in sound quality with standard speakers than if you installed just HK speakers with the existing Lowline set up.

The Harman Kardon amplifier is an inline one, so is essentially just a sound processor which is still powered by the head unit and radio amp.
I think I saw a thread recently where someone wired an external amp to the HK shelf sub, if this is possible then it could be an option if the head unit isn't powerful enough
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 10:02   #5
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I cant really say with certainty as I'm not familiar with how the Lowline set up, I know it has a satnav drive in the boot, but is there anything else in the spare wheel well?

The Symphony head unit is known for being a bit weak, especially in the bass. Do you have the satnav buttons on the head unit?
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote