Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th December 2015, 13:06   #31
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Yep, as illustrated by duotone's photo, the rear of the cones is open to the boot space, making the boot space the enclosure and the inside of the 'sub' the front of the speaker baffle - the path to the central hole to the car cabin is a port - where the length and cross section determine tuning - see here - http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/subs.html

Which shows the arrangement is very similar to a bandpass enclosure. as illustrated below. The HK sub is the bit in front of the driver - the box behind is provided by the car's boot space (not sealed - but that's probably not important given it's size when empty). This will be why you can get decent bass out of such a small cone.

It's an interesting idea, and I think the maths suggest you might be correct. It would mean it was highly dependant on the quantity of stuff in the boot though - e.g. how much stuff was in there, if the ski-hatch was open etc.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 13:41   #32
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
It's an interesting idea, and I think the maths suggest you might be correct. It would mean it was highly dependant on the quantity of stuff in the boot though - e.g. how much stuff was in there, if the ski-hatch was open etc.
Only to a small degree I would think - i.e. you'd notice if the boot was rammed full of hard boxes. You'd probably also notice if the ski hatch was open. Otherwise I think it pretty much counts as an infinite baffle with the empty boot space not only not sealed but so large as to make no difference - filling it with soft stuff wouldn't make much difference either as it's already carpeted inside the box: which largely takes the box enclosing the rear of the driver out of the equation. There is a another thing I notice about the HK sub - and that is that it is assymetric not only with reinforcing shapes to prevent flexing but that each side is different: that must be deliberate.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 21:36   #33
Phil63
Posted a thing or two

04 75 tourer cdt auto. Two tone grey. X-Power over Tempest. 04 75 V8 Chatsworth Bronze..

What about the tourer?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Phil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 00:49   #34
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default good result

I fitted the rainbow speakers to my dads hk sub today and wow its a big improvement from the standard speakers. There is very good bass and the sound is crystal clear. No vibration or bad noises at all even at high volumes. You can really hear the bass coming from the rear sub now.

Okay it doesn't provide the massive bass i get from my 12inch sub in my ZT (never expected to anyway given the size of the speakers) but the bass from these speakers fitted to the hk sub is perfectly adequate cant comment on how well this would work with the oem hk amp, but this set up works well with the alpine v power 250w amp i have it wired to

The upgrade is worth doing from my experience thanks again to tony for looking into this and originally trying it out on his 75
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 16:19   #35
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Only to a small degree I would think - i.e. you'd notice if the boot was rammed full of hard boxes. You'd probably also notice if the ski hatch was open. Otherwise I think it pretty much counts as an infinite baffle with the empty boot space not only not sealed but so large as to make no difference - filling it with soft stuff wouldn't make much difference either as it's already carpeted inside the box: which largely takes the box enclosing the rear of the driver out of the equation. There is a another thing I notice about the HK sub - and that is that it is assymetric not only with reinforcing shapes to prevent flexing but that each side is different: that must be deliberate.
This makes a lot of sense - I think I'd agree, the asymmetry of the enclosure indicates maybe bandpass style design. As you say, open your boot or empty your boot and the bass increases, I believe many have commented on that in the past.

It certainly makes me think stuffing the hk box with pillow foam will be useless in that case, and the lack of vibration I've experienced means I can't see any benefit in sound dampening materials, or mdf pieces where the speakers join. So, I think we can say the best way to get the best out of this sub is:

1) drive indirectly from the HeadUnit with a pre amped out going into a 2 channel amplifier first.
2) replace bass drivers with Rainbow EL-W5.

Like Rick says, don't expect to get a 12" sub competitor, you won't, but what you should have is a decent SQ setup, with nice rich bass that does a wide range of music types justice.

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
BMW MK4 satnav, clock mod, BT ulf, 16:9 screen & TV
upgraded BM54 + BT Aux-in
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Spyhole +Jules plenum shield
PPD - badges,rear plinth, carpeted heater panels, anchor bolts, reflectors
Walnut Dash, handbrake+gearshift
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2

Last edited by awvc1; 26th December 2015 at 16:21..
awvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 19:50   #36
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Hi Tony, (AWVC1)

Managed to fit th Rainbows today. Tested with Yello cd How How. Nice....

Mine are driven by th normal Rover radio so not got th advantages of your set up. But yes for th money iv noticed a tighter slightly bigger bass with a lot more power handling. When they've done a few hours they be even better ..

So for th out lay of 40 odd quid I'm happy. Thanks for th head's up.

Phil

Last edited by Phil th Barrow; 6th January 2016 at 19:59..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 23:00   #37
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil th Barrow View Post
Hi Tony, (AWVC1)

Managed to fit th Rainbows today. Tested with Yello cd How How. Nice....

Mine are driven by th normal Rover radio so not got th advantages of your set up. But yes for th money iv noticed a tighter slightly bigger bass with a lot more power handling. When they've done a few hours they be even better ..

So for th out lay of 40 odd quid I'm happy. Thanks for th head's up.

Phil
hi Phil, sorry when I got your pm's i was in and out of a hospital a lot- hope i answered you as well as I could.

Good to hear you are happy too, its nice to have some independent validation of this mod too.

thanks

Tony

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
BMW MK4 satnav, clock mod, BT ulf, 16:9 screen & TV
upgraded BM54 + BT Aux-in
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key